myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Travel to Bonaire vs Baja
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcade1234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Travel to Bonaire vs Baja Reply with quote

I spent a few days in Los Barriles a couple years ago. I had lots of wind. Not so impressed with the Vela operation there. They acted like they were doing me a favor to rent me gear. Also seemed like a long walk from the rental area down to the part of the beach where you could sail. Planning to go to Bonaire this April. I would be interested in any reviews of lodging and gear rentals.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented gear from Jibe City last year..........laid back, flexible staff (i.e. not chasing you off the water at closing time)............downside, the gear (particularly boards) was older than Windsurf Place next door.......but I hear that WP has tighter rules. Don't think you can go too far wrong with either place. Stayed at Kontiki which is three minutes from Lac Bay.........we liked it. You can clearly see the early sailors and judge wind conditions from the breakfast patio..........and it was easy to shoot back for lunch or to pick something up. Some people prefer to be in town............it's a toss up. My advice is to contact Ann Phelan..........she knows Bonaire inside out and will set everything up at no additional cost to you.
caribwnd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote: Caribwnd, how are you getting to Margarita these days? How is the safety crime situation? Thanks for your comments.]
In response to this post from Caribchikita.
From the west coast to Margarita take the red-eye out of Houston which puts you into CCS at 6 a.m. and you can be sailing in Margarita by 9a.m.
From the east coast there are several options-A.A. through Puerto Rico to Port of Spain,Trinidad and hop over to Margarita (30 minute flight) or Miami to Caracas and then to Margarita (30 minute flight from CCS-PMV)
As far as the quote ''safety crime situation" Is there a ''situation'' here??
Maybe in the city of Caracas there is a ''situation'' as in many large cities but the island of Margarita is not Caracas and the Caracas airport is not in Caracas but in Maiquetia which is a full 1/2 hour drive from the city.
A great room off the beach in el Yaque with all of the ammenities (a.c., hot water, wifi, fridge, ect.) can be had for as little as usd$25 per night and a great restaurant meal with drinks can be had for less than usd $10.
El Yaque beach is a great location for all levels from beginners to pro-of which el Yaque has produced many pro sailors.
Check out www.posadamargarita.com for lodging.

[/quote]
psmith2004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Margarita accommodation Reply with quote

Hi Miguel,

I think you have a small typo in your URL address ... needs a hyphen?
http://www.posada-margarita.com

Cheers,
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: