myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kelp mines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Kelp mines Reply with quote

So you're at your favorite ocean sailing spot and you know where all the kelp beds are and the way thru them but storm swells and waves have torn some of it loose and it's now floating around like those old WWII sea mines. Then when you are planing along at full speed you hit a patch and YAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! Over the bars. Embarassed
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a smaller fin.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or go faster!
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once hit a loose dense kelp knot full speed at Leo a number of years ago, and it was as JP has aptly identified. Total and immediate disaster, and I didn't have any time to avoid it. While there was no real damage to my board or me, the experience was very hardcore, as I was moving full speed when I hit it.

When the kelp is in the area you expect it, that's one thing, but when it's in an area that you don't expect it, the situation can be totally off the top.
dabull1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: No kelp worries til' March! Reply with quote

No kelp mines at Mammoth,just 24" of new fluff... YEEHAW!!!!! Bull
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly as SW describes it, and if I was going any faster I would no longer have foot straps on the board.

Bull - Who can afford Mammoth? Take a run or two for me buddy, us cheapskates will continue to WS Leo during the cold winter months as it only costs a couple bucks in gas.
dabull1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: NO KELP, NO ROCKS Reply with quote

$1.94 a gallon at the Vons in Bishop a week ago... "Drill here, drill now, drill here, drill now,ooommm! Keep an eye on the secret [Mitch's] website for an announcement of the First Annual Bill's Bull Memorial Ski Classic and Margarita Festival... bringing skiing back to the masses!!!! Bull
pacspeed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost broke my hip (at a ripe old 33) off the point at San Carlos. Going DTL, trying to thread the needle and WHAP! down like a sack of potatoes with the boom head (somehow) nailing me in the right hip.

Goddamn kelp!
theq

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolmtnbiker048 wrote:
Use a smaller fin.

Perish the thought, coolmtnbiker. It's a well known fact that jpbassking has the biggest fin on the beach. I believe it's a Binford Special Eel-skinner (Insert Tim the Toolman's macho growl here).
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that the fin I was using was a 34cm Tectonic Goldwing at Leo, so I was a bit out of school. Such disaster using a slalom fin is somewhat more amped on the disaster scale, as the leading edge is more abrupt in shape.

I was admittedly lucky, but one can't always count on that. I had a very similar experience hitting a filled plastic bag at full speed out of nowhere at another location. After such an experience, you've usually got some interesting bruises to show, or extended discomfort from the encounter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: