myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SUPing in SF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Unreal! It takes skydiving to a whole different level. Absolutely no margin for error. Hate to think about hitting anything, even a startled bird suddenly in your path.

Check out www.FaceLevel.com for more information on wingsuit flying!
streetsailing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolmtnbiker048 wrote:
Is Fort Point windsurfable?

Yes it is. Check out this post for proof.
http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=16713&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
bamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetsailing wrote:
Thanks Mac
That has got to be the most extreme sport I've seen in while. You could not possibly survive the slightest error.
I have got to try it.

How about landing in the wingsuit without a parachute? A few of those guys are working on it right now. I kid you not.

The main guy pushing this already survived a major parachute mishap where he almost died. The experience made him more reckless rather then cautious.

He has recruited some super smart guys to devise a landing scheme.
Everyone involved is acknowledging the chance of death is going to be high, but onward they go. Right now they seem to be moving towards a long landing ramp that allows for proper deceleration.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god I'm too old to be tempted to try!
streetsailing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see it as being possible without some sort of chute system or deceleration system. Their speed is too high for mere mortals to survive. Gravity is too great.
One solution would be to be able to create a suit that really flies and allows the pilot to climb enough to slow down/stall to an acceptable speed on an upwardly sloping landing strip........made of foam. We talking about 100mph+- here.
Have you heard of Yves Rossy.
http://www.jet-man.com/prod/index.html
He even needs a chute to land.
Either way, I envy these adventurous souls. God protect them.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these guys have been doing it sine 2005, at least

http://wingsuitphotos.com/
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Point is a low tide spot pretty much 90% of the time. Wave doesn't work after that, as you see by the video, too much water.

Stand up paddling is a great sport, and a here's a comment that will make anyone popular. Just because you can get on a wave doesn't make you a surfer, just means you can get on a wave.

Stand up is very quickly wearing out its welcome, especially at OB. If you don't have a few years surfing under your belt it is a really bad spot to go. What I am seeing is the same kiting / windsurfing confrontation going on where all of sudden after three sessions someone becomes a surfer.

It takes a long time to learn to surf, pay your dues, know where to be and when to be in the spot you should be.

As soon as someone gets badly hurt, only a matter of time, those of us who switch between short boards and stand up will get banned from one spot after another. There is an inherent danger of wave novices riding around on 12' boards and hence the ire of the regular surfing community that is building each day that goes along.

Naish said recently that the great thing about stand up is that you can go explore breaks that nobody else can get to or have ridden before. He doesn't seem to think that stand up's are a great idea mixed in the regular line up unless you happen to be a true surf pro, I think he's got enough experience to know and make the comment.

If you getting into stand up and are in the waves and don't have a few years surfing please find a spot where nobody else is around for a few hundred feet and not in the regular line up.

I surf OB, Fort Point. Stand up at OB and numerous other spots. Confrontations to date - zero. Can you say the same?

I hope that those who are out in waves and getting screamed at stop and take a moment of reflection. It isn't just because the majority of surfers are just obnoxious. That doesn't mean that the actions of those at places like Fort Point are acceptable, they aren't.

In regard to Fort Point. It is a super aggressive and dangerous spot. It isn't a great wave at the best of times, many people, late steep drop and a real local knowledge needed. Only one person I know who rides at a stand up is at the level needed to surf this spot.

I am sure it won't be a popular view but if you can't catch waves on a short board in the regular line up you almost certainly shouldn't be anywhere near the same line upon a stand up.
streetsailing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, didn't see that coming after our great session together at OB yesterday.
Anyway, thanks for those comments. Now I know where you're coming from.
To me, it's all about RESPECT. If you are new to the surf, you have to respect those with knowledge and experience in the ocean. Respect them and they should respect you. Otherwise, the ocean will get you.
On the other hand, there are some surfers that will never respect you or the sport that they love so much. Stay away from them. It's not worth getting beat up. They will do that.
To date, I've had zero confrontations with surfers at FP or any other spot. It's not to say that I haven't seen some negative reactions on the water and a few surfers making a grab at me while I surf by. That's expected considering the reputation of surfers. Just stay away from those guys.
I think that my 20years of windsurfing counts for something, right?
And by the way, at the rate that I'm catching waves on my 12' board, I should catch up to most surfers in another 10 more sessions.
Respectfully
your fellow janitor
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OB was good yesterday but have to respectfully disagree that 20 yrs of windsurfing don't have anything to do with surfing.

The tone is getting really bad in the waves, blogs are alive with hatred and localism and makes for a bad situation.

I feel that the big problem is that it is pretty hard to know the flow of the waves until you've surfed a few years. Everyone I know who surfs pretty much feels the same way.

The worst is that the first time someone on a stand up hits someone we are all going to be out of luck.

The USCG just classed stand ups as vessels in Oregon and require PFD's, whistles and lights, could happen here if groups get together and there's my fear.

We all have a problem growing here (those of us that both surf and stand up) and I hope that it doesn't slide further into an all out confrontation, it looks that way now.
elenna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetsailing wrote:
Wow, didn't see that coming after our great session together at OB yesterday.
Anyway, thanks for those comments. Now I know where you're coming from.
To me, it's all about RESPECT. If you are new to the surf, you have to respect those with knowledge and experience in the ocean. Respect them and they should respect you. Otherwise, the ocean will get you.
On the other hand, there are some surfers that will never respect you or the sport that they love so much. Stay away from them. It's not worth getting beat up. They will do that.
To date, I've had zero confrontations with surfers at FP or any other spot. It's not to say that I haven't seen some negative reactions on the water and a few surfers making a grab at me while I surf by. That's expected considering the reputation of surfers. Just stay away from those guys.
I think that my 20years of windsurfing counts for something, right?
And by the way, at the rate that I'm catching waves on my 12' board, I should catch up to most surfers in another 10 more sessions.
Respectfully
your fellow janitor

Streetsailing,

I’ve been windsurfing for 14 years, Kitesurfing for 6, and surfing for 33. I wanted to give you some perspective, from a surfers point of view, on SUP.

The majority of traditional surfers do not view SUP as surfing. It is aided by a paddle, which puts SUP in a class with kyakers, kiteboarders, windsurfers, tow in, jetski's etc. and in the surfing world the right-of-way pecking order it is traditional surfing first, then comes all powered forms of surfing—which includes SUP.

SUP is just another competitor for waves and traditional surfers are not going to "respect" you or welcome you with open arms. Several popular breaks in Santa Cruz have already been inundated by SUP riders and I can tell you that if there 2 SUPs riders near a peak, the traditional surfer isn't going to catch much. This type of wave hogging is causing a backlash against SUP riders.

If you find that people are giving you grief, you should ask yourself, “Why am I surfing this break”, “am I taking off on too many waves” or “maybe I should try a longboard, hybrid, fish,” and expand my repertoire of skills. You will find that the surfing right board at a particular spot will allow you to fit right in.

Finally, you will find that conflict is part of the sport, it is crowded and sh** happens. It’s not like windsurfing, kitesurfing, etc. where the community is supportive. Get used to it.

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: