myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Baja vs. Texas
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Baja vs. Texas Reply with quote

Where is a good place to windsurf during the two weeks around Xmas & New Years? Here are the parameters.

I live in northern CA. It needs to be within driving distance, flying is not an option because I will be bringing along two dogs. Wife is not a windsurfer, she trains the dogs. Both dogs are Mals, protection trained. Yes, they practice chewing on cops in suits on weekends, but are well behaved.

I sail 70 liter/4.0 wave gear up to 180 liter/10.0 formula gear, so I’m not picky about the conditions. I prefer freeriding/bump & jump/slalom conditions, not much on tricks.

I pretty much know what to expect for Baja sailing conditions. I’m just not sure about taking the dogs across the border. Potential hassles with the crossing? Restrictions, papers, requirements? Is crossing the border with dogs like loading windsurf gear on an airplane where it is very dependent on the attendant working that day?

I don’t know much about Texas. I’ve done the search but it seems the best times down there are fall & spring. Not much said about the end of Dec. Driving distance appears to be the same.

Any information on Dec. Texas conditions or crossing the border with dogs-both ways-would be greatly appreciated.

Coachg
jrg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven to San Carlos a couple of times with 2-3 dogs (2000-2004). We had a note from our vet saying they were all current on shots, but were never asked about it. I do the drive to SPI every spring and fall - long trip (2000 miles) but easy drive (I10 - 70mph+ for most of it) - we have done it in 32 hours. If you are headed to La Ventana, its a long trip - ~2-3 days from Nor Cal. Two weeks is pretty short after factoring in the drive. I also suspect you would get better wind and weather in Baja during that time of year.
tsokat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it doesn't blow in Texas, weed is inexpensive and fireworks are legal, so you should still be able to keep yourself amused. Cool
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to South Padre Xmas/NY week one year and regretted it the whole week.
It was 55 degrees, foggy, rainy, cold and no wind all week (it was warmer in San Jose). It is cheep though, even the luxury hotels, winter is off season.

Started going to Maui every year during that time and haven't regretted it yet. The last 3 years have been exceptional. The other great thing about Maui is there's lots to do if it doesn't blow, and it's always warm.
SPI is very limited in that reguard, and the weather can be bad.

The dogs aren't going to Maui though, there's a 30 day quarentee for them.

Sorry, haven't been to Baja.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take your dogs to Baja be prepared for this: One week after returning I noticed what looked to be a piece of rope hanging out of my shepherd mix's butt. Upon further inspection I recognized what I studied in High School biology as a tapeworm. Yech!!! I took her over to the vet who was very excited about it. They wanted to get the thing out intact and put it in a bottle for display. Apparently they get them from eating rats. And since we were camped close to a basurero, there were some rats. A couple of days later my Aussie mix exhibited the same condition. They prescribed something that renders them digestible and that was that.

Sorry to spoil your breakfast.

Steve
brettbuchanan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Definitely Baja Reply with quote

Two or three days drive time depending on your destination. Nor Cal to Estero Beach, Ensenada day one. Ensenada to San Ignacio, Mulege, or Loreto day two. La Ventana, or Los Barriles final day. Two other possibilities are Punta Abreojos and Punta Arena. You may be able to make Abreojos or Arena on the second day - Abreojos is just south of Guerrero Negro and Punta Arena can be found on any good map of Baja. Arena is in the Bahia de Concepcion area and its indescribably beautiful. Abreojos might not be a good option for a first time Baja traveler. Your best bets are La Ventana or Los Barriles. Go the extra mile and get the full Baja treatment. You will never regret it. With my wife as my copilot I've made the trip ten times along with a few San Carlos hauls. Fourteen days is plenty of time. The drive is half the fun.

I wish I could drop everything and leave right now. The feeling of driving those long stretches of unspoiled landscape, the steep grade down into Santa Rosalia, the jagged peaks of Sierra de la Giganta, the Bay of Conception - it is a trip so unreal that I would put it as one of the must do's in life. Drive the Baja Peninsula. Top off in El Rosario and eat lobster burritos at Mama Espinosa's before heading off into the Baja interior for the first time with no gas available for 225 miles but for maybe a local at the Bahia de Los Angeles junction selling gas out of drums loaded in the back of his rusted pick up. Throw his three-legged dog a muffin and tell him I said hello.

First Baja tip, never drive at night. Baja truckers and cattle warming themselves on the pavement own the road after the sun goes down. Second tip, the Mexicans at the checkpoints are afraid of dogs I've noticed. Make sure to leash them. Third, do not stop in San Quintin for gas - they're famous for short-changing and not resetting the pump. Finally, make time when you can, always pass safely, and cross the border heading south during daylight hours.

Texas? Isn't that where that Bush fella came from?
allen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind in Texas is frontal driven which makes it a decent fall/spring place but less so in the winter. I did spend one windless week in SPI between Xmas and New Years where I talked to a guy at one of the hotels and who asked me where I was from. When I told him I was from LA he just laughed, said "what the hell are you doing wasting your time here." It has been Baja ever since, 4 sailing days out of 7 this yr, 6/7 last yr. Baja is a million times better than any place in Texas even if you only get wind half the time.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush is from Maine. Don't blame it on the Texans.
brettbuchanan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Bush is from Maine? Reply with quote

I should have read his Wiki page.
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am off to San Quintin for a week. Bay water 70+ deg. Been telling w/surfing folks about it for years. Nobody pays much attention, sail the bay alone (50 sq miles). Kiters listened, crowded with kiters (big enough for all). 4+ hours from border.
Strongly suggest weed fin. Good rooms ($35/night, clean) at Jadines de Baja. Also protected camp sites and restaurant.
Need a formula board if Santa Ana. If winter storm imminent, 3m sail may be too big. Kiters agree, wind is always better than So. Cal.
Difference with Texas - real waves just outside bay. Give you dirns if I see you there. I have a trailer at P. San Carlos, little cold now. Am partial to hot showers.

San Quintin Bay annotated.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  301.91 KB
 Viewed:  17393 Time(s)

San Quintin Bay annotated.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: