myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sebastian Inlet Sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
Bogus hits. That's funny. Are you a conspiracy theorist? Then, again, perhaps you think I'm a computer genius who has created a bot that can bypass all the anti-spam software created to prevent such things and provide hits. However, I adhere to the theory that the few sick minds that have created the partly entertaining comments don't represent the majority of readers of the thread. Futhermore, this silent majority may find the silly cartoons rather amusing, but I give them some credit for seeking good content on the web. So I'm take the travel or ride theme a little more off topic. I've been recording some of my memoires regarding the freight hopping I did in the 70's. It started with my meeting a wealthy guy who was a real fanatic for it back in the late 60's. One summer he logged in 6,000 miles through Canada and the U.S. on freight trains. He gave it up for family life a number of decades ago, citing that it was too dangerous. That it is. I know a young man who lost his legs trying to mount a train. However, it can be one of the most exhilerating rides I have experienced in spite of the risks and hardships. I've done it solo and with my buddy. Eastern riding isn't nearly as fun as those in the west. The longest trip I took one January, starting in New Orleans and ending up in southern Indiana. We rode three trains for a combined total of 1100 miles in two days. That was back in '74. (Previously, I had hitch-hiked from Mo. to Minneapolis and the full extent of Montana so by my 25th birthday I could say that I had travelled the full length of the Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio rivers and seen all of the Louisiana Purchase lands.) We caught a "fast pig" (truck trailers on flatbed cars) out of the N.O. yards in the evening. I remember riding through this vast petrochemical plant somewhere after we left the Bayou. Filthy and uncomfortable, it still was fascinating. The train stopped in Shreveport where we kicked around for a few hours, having dinner in a Cajun diner. Then very early in the morning in the dark we climbed into a cold steel boxcar and left for Arkansas. The temperature dropped quickly and by the time the sun rose, the car was frigid. Rolling through the countryside on a clear day, there was plenty to see. As I remember, somewhere around Pine Bluffs, we stopped and switched trains. Then we started along the Mississippi, crossing it on the Thebes bridge which is north of Cairo, the town at the junction of three states, Ill., Kentucky and Mo. The train moved swiftly and the crossing was not only spectacular but exciting. A narrow truss bridge, it came up without a warning. We were going gang-busters to say the least. The river here widens and joins the Ohio. From an open boxcar door, the view was fantastic. After that we crossed into that rugged area of Southern Indiana where you can find ski resorts. Finally, the train stopped in the evening. We spent the night keeping warm in a laundrymat. Then we parted company, my bud hitching back to Boston and I to New Orleans. This was my most memorable trip, but not the only one with tremendous views or experiences. There was the Hoosac tunnel ride, still the longest tunnel east of the Rockies, which passes from Ma. to N.Y. through that three quarters region which includes Vt. Then there was the solo trip on the Green Mountain R.R. through most of the state which I took in the fall: foliage, covered bridges and quaint bucolic villages. It's all coming back to me now. That's the way we were.

Whew! An awful lot about nothing, Brucie.

Is that your own personal "bridge to nowhere"?

It seems you took that bridge and arrived where it went.

Which is where you belong.
spyder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Bogus hits. That's funny. Are you a conspiracy theorist? Then, again, perhaps you think I'm a computer genius who has created a bot that can bypass all the anti-spam software created to prevent such things and provide hits. However, I adhere to the theory that the few sick minds that have created the partly entertaining comments don't represent the majority of readers of the thread. Futhermore, this silent majority may find the silly cartoons rather amusing, but I give them some credit for seeking good content on the web. So I'm take the travel or ride theme a little more off topic. I've been recording some of my memoires regarding the freight hopping blah blah blabbity blab blah blah blab blab blab meaningless babble blob blab blah...

Brucie, you have produced such a huge volume of psycho babble in this thread you could write a book ... perhaps you should. All those aliases would read it !

Meanwhile, wildlife was spotted in the canyons... Shocked
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
...perhaps you think I'm a computer genius who has created a bot that can bypass all the anti-spam software created to prevent such things and provide hits.

Uh, no Brucie. "Genius" and "Swift" are light years apart, at opposite ends of the IQ spectrum.

BTW, big guy, I like your bridge picture. I note that it has someone else's watermark on it, lower right corner, so it obviously is not your picture.

Aren't you the self-righteous IWS advocate for intellectual property? Why didn't you cite it?

Oh, I get it. "Do as I say, not as I do."
DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing This thread never gets old! I love it!
Brucie counts the hits... and we keep swinging!
Talk about a glutton for punishment. Very Happy

mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
BTW, big guy, I like your bridge picture. I note that it has someone else's watermark on it, lower right corner, so it obviously is not your picture.
Aren't you the self-righteous IWS advocate for intellectual property? Why didn't you cite it?
Oh, I get it. "Do as I say, not as I do."

Yes Brucie, the owner of the pic (who is clearly not you) requires attribution under license by Creative Commons.

From the owner, Jim Frazier's website:
Quote:
"Required attribution for Creative Commons licensed pictures  
Clearly attribute it to "jimfrazier.com" and link to www.jimfrazier.com or the picture's page on Flickr.  If the picture is used in print, then "jimfrazier.com" is preferred, but I can live with "Jim Frazier". The attribution should be visible to the naked eye and in the vicinity of the image.  You can't simply say "credit" or "attribution" with a link.  
Also, please send me a courtesy email (see email address at bottom of this page) although this is not a requirement of the license.  I just like to keep track."

Brucie, WRT your recent "Stealing Intellectual Material" rant...
sailingjoe wrote:
Isn't that a copy right violation? Here's a dishonorable individual who has offered nothing original in his posting.
...it seems you are the one guilty of copying and publishing images which clearly aren't yours.

Brucie, are you are a hypocrite and a thief?

Rolling Eyes

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some websites counts views, not discrete new hits. iWindian site just counts views. Been saying that all along for our pet blatherbot. He's right up there with the self deluded Fox News blathering blatherers. Selective memory, selective half sentences. If one website counts discrete new id's they all must, right? This ain't Youtube.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>However, I adhere to the theory that the few sick minds that have created the partly entertaining comments don't represent the majority of readers of the thread. Futhermore, this silent majority may find the silly cartoons rather amusing, but I give them some credit for seeking good content on the web.<< Nevertheless, given the way chartbeat has stunk up the URL and the lack of intelligent or honest feedback, I'm not going to contribute any more here.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
>>However, I adhere to the theory that the few sick minds that have created the partly entertaining comments don't represent the majority of readers of the thread. Futhermore, this silent majority may find the silly cartoons rather amusing, but I give them some credit for seeking good content on the web.<< Nevertheless, given the way chartbeat has stunk up the URL and the lack of intelligent or honest feedback, I'm not going to contribute any more here.

"I'm not going to contribute any more here."

Gosh, Brucie, that's a shame. And just when you were heading to 25,000 hits, too.

Maybe you could ask Mom to read this thread. That would get your hits counter up there...
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:

You were never contributing here, Brucie.
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
>>I'm not going to contribute any more here.

Brucie, have you talked this over with ALL of your aliases ? Remember it has to be a quorum vote ! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 19 of 32

Jump to: