myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Back to the Future/Long boards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Back to the Future/Long boards Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I did any long board sailing. I followed the trend to shorter and wider to capture the early planning goals. Never did get the hang of light air sailing.

I'm now into 30yrs with windsurfing, My sailing venues are the OBX and Lake Erie. I live in Richmond,Va, trips out to the "Bay" are spoty. Weeks on end of 5-10knt. winds.

My last long board was an Equipe from the mid 80's. I gave it away so others could enjoy it and get into the sport at no cost.

My largest rig is a 10m Sailworks Retro. I'm thinking of getting a new long board and wonder what improvements I'll see compared to my old Equipe.

I may just use it on the Bay's and Rivers east of Richmond.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest longboard improvement is increased volume, including rail thickness and tail width. As a result, the newer raceboards are a lot more powerful and easier to ride with big sails in light winds. (Newer meaning post-1995).

At one time I had a Fanatic Ultra Cat that was 373 cm and 210 liters, and my buddy had a newer Fanatic Ultra Cat that was 380 cm and 250+ liters. His board was way better and more comfortable both in light wind and in back-footstraps, fully-planing wind.

If you can't find a used post-1995 raceboard like a Mistral Equipe II in good condition, and you can't afford a new raceboard like the Starboard Phantom 380 or Exocet Warp-X, the Kona ONE would be an option.

I have a Kona. It planes and rides well and has fairly powerful rails and daggerboard. However, it doesn't have railing straps and it doesn't really blaze upwind in daggerboard-down mode like a raceboard.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your in Ft. Pierce are you doing open ocean sailing or gunk holing on the rivers, causeways, bays,etc. I can remember so many good sessions on the Equipe. wind would start off on the low end, coast around, do some ctr board planning ,working up wind then bare off ,kick the board up and plane off the wind.

Would you say that the Kona planes up as quick as say the Ultra Cat and if you still had the UC would you go ahead and buy the Kona or one of the other boards you mentioned?
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since moving to Florida last summer I have been doing most of my sailing in the open ocean, except when I'm teaching beginners or something. The Kona is definitely nice for that since it's stable and turns well at all speeds, and has a full foam deck with fully-enclosed daggerboard and no pedal-operated mast track to stub your toes on or get broken in the surf.

I experimented with the Ultra Cat last summer when I was still living in VA and doing all my sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries. I ultimately decided to keep the Kona and sell the Cat. The Kona planes quicker than the ultra cat I had, but probably about the same time as the newer, full-sized ultra cat like my friend had.

Here's a little pro / con comparison of the Kona and a good raceboard like the newer ultra cat:

Weight: Kona is somewhat heavier, but more durable
Early planing: About the same, but raceboard glides onto a plane more smoothly
Speed on planing reach: Probably Kona
Speed with daggerboard down: Definitely raceboard
Upwind angle with daggerboard down: Raceboard wins
Best in a race against sailboats: Raceboard
Suitability for teaching beginners: Definitely Kona
Best jibing and tacking: Kona
Best wave-riding and high wind / chop control: Kona
Best for one-design racing: Kona

Basically, for flatwater a raceboard will be more high-performance and techincally challenging / interesting, but a Kona is more rugged and versatile for various types of goofing around on the water.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great break down. Did the Serenity get on your list of maybe's and do you know anyone that has sailed it?

One thought is that if I get back into long boarding, a race board would provide the full package beating straps, best performance up wind.....

BTW, where in VA did you do most of your sailing? My most common launch is the Narrows on Gwynn's Island. I've also sailed off of WindMill Pt on the Rappahanock.
Aranel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDawg,

I haven't sailed the Ultra Cat, but I published an article on a year sailing the Kona. Love that board. I went from a wideboard to the longboard, and I haven't looked back. I'm not the most experienced windsurfer to be sure, but the Kona has completely changed my windsurfing experience. Check it out at http://www.lbwindsurfing.com/cruising/a-year-of-longboarding/.

I'd be sailing that board today if the weather wasn't 20F.

-Ian

www.hudsonwindsurfer.blogspot.com
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Serenity is a terrific board if you have consistently light winds with very low to no probabilities of the wind coming up in a surprise. Space is a consideration too. THey are long. Center fin needs lots of water depth too. My local flat water launches are limiting that way too. Hard to justify formula as well.

Kona 11'5 worx very very well for me, since I've been concentrating on wave sailing so much. But it worx great for a flat water sesh too even with a 9.0 sail. dOuglas rips on his Kona One. Cheers.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SDawg, I've got a couple of demo Serenitys at the shop that you can try if you'd like. Personally, I LOVE taking them out for a Sunset Cruise. There are no other boards on the market today that offer higher sub-planing performance... but I find myself not caring about performance in the least when I sail one.

They are quiet, with effortless glide. Flat-ish water only, which is fine for the waters you're talking about. A little tipsy, which keeps your attention in the tacks and jibes. Unbelievable upwind potential, it's like sailing a standup sailboat. But it's really all about just taking a cruise in 1 to 15 knots of wind.

The best thing, IMO, about the Serenity is the ability to rig small and still go places. I recommend a 5.5-7.5, regardless of the wind. I usually don't wear a harness. There aren't any footstraps. It's simple, clean, lightwind fun.

But, it's ONLY fun in lightwind and flatwater and you can't really teach your friends on it, so it's kind of a single purpose stick. Even if you get something else, it's worth trying out the Serenity for an afternoon, just for the experience!
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I was in the OBX through ThanksGiving. I stopped by your shop and saw the Serenity in the corner. As you know I've spent some time experimenting with light air gear. The GT85 is a real winner. I'll be back down once the weather turns sometime in March.

The Serenity sort of reminds me of the old Div 1 boards of the late 70's. They were sort of like trying to stand on a log(really tippy).

I always travel with at least two boards, a long board would be fun when the wind just isn't planable.

The Year on a long board ,article took me back a long time, the time of one board and a couple of sails.....
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I put an 11.0 on the Kona One. It works great. No, one cannot race the OD class with that large of a sail, but that's another issue.

The main benefit of the Konas is their simplicity. dOuglas was one of the 5 that finished the i to i race in Ft Lauderdale. He was up against folks with FW's, RSX's, and old Equipe's. No other made it around the course on a long board. The attrition of that fleet was about 75%.

Complicating all these reviews is the skill and stamina of the sailors that post their perspectives. The Kona makes the stamina factor less important. I've sailed the Kona One, uber lit up, nearly as down wind as FW's with either the OD sail or others larger or smaller. I've never bothered to change the base position. Partly, because of the rocker of th eKona is so much more than race specific alt's. If I put the base too far back, the hull plows too much, even off wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: