myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Back to the Future/Long boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haterrater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jingebritsen wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to see more long boards oriented to offering both good sailing and wave sailing. The paddle thing is a whole other sport. The stuff that's on the mkt now outside of RRD, and Kona tends to be way better at paddling and not so fantastic, yet passable as a sailor. Doesn't that lead our base away from sailing? How is that strong for our sport?

I think the great thing is that there finally is a nice diverse offering of longboards that function well for the proper conditions. It doesn't make sense for every board brand to offer a racing longboard, a family-fun longboard, a wave-sailing longboard, and then a SUP with a mast track.

Is there a problem with leading "our base" away from sailing?
the way I see it, the more often "our base" gets its head out of the boat, the better. Look at the short, wide, twin/thruster/twinser/quad fin wave boards, for instance, that are going to transform the way we approach wavesailing (just using it as an example - I'm not trying to change the topic or anything; I could've used the formula board instead or something else again).
Reintegration into the watersports community is essential for our sport to maintain a certain level of "street cred" or "waterman proven" status. Not to mention a connection with our waterman roots.

I think the fact that SUPs are putting mast tracks in the boards is absolutely fantastic. Think of all the guys who windsurfed in the 90's but gave it up when they had kids but are still surfing, or getting back into it. Instead of looking at windsurfing as a "has-been" sport, they've got a fresh appreciation for the simple beauty of sailing and surfing. Think of all the people who surf and sup and spend time on the water but have never quite taken the leap into windsurfing. All of a sudden, windsurfing is legitimate again.
think of all the kiters who share our beaches (many of us on this forum kite as well, too) who are getting into the waves with SUPs - if those boards have mast tracks, then we are all one step closer to becoming true brothers again (remember the first kiteboarding videos were actually windsurfing videos with kites in them?).

Now if shops are trying to convince customers that their 9'whatever" epoxy banana with no centerboard and pinhole/short-track box is going to perform like the customer's old equipe, that would be a problem. Hopefully they aren't doing that. But just the exciting fact that windsurfers are being exposed to surfing, now that is an awesome development for our sport.
maybe eventually we'll stop being such a kookie bunch and learn to embrace the aloha spirit.
and stop insisting that we're some sort of superior, exclusive club of toolbags who know it all and don't need nobody to tell us nothin'.

The Kona line of boards is great, no doubt about it. The warp for flatwater, the one for family use, and then the 11'2" and the smaller boards for the surf. But what if I want to paddle my SUP? What if I'm a windsurfer but I really want to surf the waves and do it primarily as a no-wind/low-wind sport using a paddle instead? I think the diversity is great, and I think it's an amazing thing for us to be able to pick and choose from so many different options.

lastly, the manufacturers have killed themselves by attempting to produce every board line possible. It just costs too much and takes too much R&D to produce a full lineup of waveboards, freestyle boards, freewave baoards, freeride boards, freeride speed boards, longboards, slalom boards, formula boards.... and then tack on a 'whole-nother' line of SUPs and wavesailing longboards.
I'm glad I can shop around and find exactly what I'm looking for without being bombarded with so many different crappy choices to choose from.

I know this is a long post, and Jingebritsen, I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record by this point jumping on every post you write - and I apologize for that, this post especially I'm not against anything you say in this particular post and I understand your desire for windsurfers to get the right gear they need. We do have differences of opinion, but that's the great thing about forums and we can agree to disagree and hopefully people will read the truths out of both points of view and come to reasonable decisions on gear purchases/techniques. Again man, I agree with you that the kona's (and the rrd, though I haven't sailed the longrider) are great boards that offer tons of versatility. And I'm stoked you put so much time into promoting the sport and the new products that work. But I think it's great that our industry is diversifying and really starting to encourage people to get in the waves.
Kiting has been in the limelight for so long now as the "in" thing; finally I'm seeing some guys who really loved windsurfing get interested in wave sailing again due to the new SUPs with the mast tracks. And if it's not windy, well, what's wrong with paddling?

Robbie's got it right: do it all, love it all, and embrace life to the fullest extent possible! His timing on a wave is better than ever.

I could go on an on, but I find I'm already repeating myself....
csr7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that today looked like a really nice wavesailing day, but I was still good from yesterday's SUP fun.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's drill right down to the issue at hand. How many sailors get to try all classes of long boards to then make an educated decision? Not a whole lot, unfortunately. Have you been able to try a Kona vs a SUP? A Kona 11'5 vs a Mistral Pacifico, or Pacifico Wave, Mr haterrater? Or any other combo's? If not many get to try everything, then how can the many fully understand the media points of view that rarely have the editorial space to be comprehensive as well?

So, if someone tries a SUP with mast track and gets bored/frustrated with it on those all too common onshore days, then they will tend toward just paddling. Seen that all too often. My mentioning a few people within the wind industry is testimony to that. Some even based over in Maui without the onshore problems. Then there's another windsurfer that could have sailed more, and ends up losing interest still further.

Maybe there should be more emphasis on the wave sailing rather than paddling from the WS community? Just a question, having had the luxury of trying all the different classes of long boards available.... Sure paddling a Kona, at first, may be a bit tougher for some. Yet, lots have paddled them. Some very accomplished paddlers like the Konas for flat water. I just need 4-5 mph side shore to prefer sailing, so paddles seem superfluous for me, based on every other distraction going on with my life.
haterrater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, j., I have ridden a large variety of boards. The kona one, the 11'5", the mistral pacifico, the pacifico wave, the amundson/aquaglide 11'6", 11'3", and 11'0"; the naish 11'6", the early starboard 11'6ish?" that was really narrow; and without mast tracks I've ridden a 10'4 bonga perkins step-rail and a dave kalama 11' from southpoint.
The konas were great with a sail, especially the 11'5" in waves, but that board absolutely sucked for paddling in waves. it can turn, but it doesn't trim like a longboard should. The displacement is wrong for surfing without a sail and it's just really not much fun without a sail. sorry.
Where I live I spend most of my SUP time in the ocean, not in flat water, so I want a board that performs as a paddleboard just as well as a sailboard.
The mistral pacifico wave actually has a flat under the footstraps and planes quite well, actually, though it's definitely a paddleboard. The pacifio original is quite a fine board for flat water, both sailing and paddling, especially as a lakehouse toy. I know plenty of people who enjoy the simplicity of the thing. The amundsons and the naish I rode were definitely designed as paddleboards but they are supersweet in waves with a sail - they turn and trim like a surfboard, not a windsurfer (there is a difference). They are also nice and wide and paddle the flatwater really well - I'd easily recommend the 11'6"s (both the naish and the amundson) as a lakehouse board to anyone more interested in paddling than sailing, as the simplicity of the SUPs is, imnsho, unmatched. Both of those boards trim and cut in the waves, too.
The kalama was nice but I'm a lighter guy and prefer something slightly thinner for my personal ride; the perkins is more of a performance board and rides great. If I were 150lbs. I'd buy one and put a mast track in it - It's no big deal to do so, either, and I know a couple folks who've done so.

If customers are buying boards without scoping out the competition then it's poor shopping on their part. Most sailors can take vacations - to the gorge, to maui, to hatteras, to corpus - where they can try the product out, or at least see it and touch it, before making the purchase.

The windsurfing community should be focused on getting out on the water and maximizing their fun. period. whatever vessel the choose to ride. Whether they're riding their serenity in a zephyr or practicing their freestyle moves on a small sail or GOING SURFING... I don't care what they do as long as they are improving their lives.
I don't give a flip whether they add a frickin kite to their quiver, for crying out loud.
I just want people to have fun enjoying the water and experiencing the beauty of the ocean. I think SUP boards are great complements to the windsurfing quiver and a ton of fun. Maybe eventually the person will even learn to surf - and then waveride and spend 6gs on new wave gear. And then windsurfing is cool again because a bunch of watermen are doing it instead of a group of rubberized kooks sporting paunches and frowns. and the industry survives another blow because they learned to adapt.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMCkeZHO28I

I always manage my time so as to have a sail in my hands when out in the surf. Two guys in the video, one with and one without the Kona 11'5.

Steve G. tells me that the Kona SUP, yet another model, has better paddle only performance, yet he instinctively seeks the straps that are not present on the Kona SUP. Too bad, with a sail in my hands, I tend to go for moves with far more smack when I'm using a Kona than going strapless.

Smack and snap is part of the fun for wavesailing for me. Doing that paddle stuff is very low priority for me. Dunno if I'll ever get around to it. Side off winds 4-5 knots are plenty common in FL.

http://www.aerotechsails.com/forumpage.html
tm00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDawg wrote:
I mess around with all types of water craft from my clasic Chris Craft to a cool sail boat called a Tasar (sort of hi-performance of Laser II).

The SUP just hasn't captured my interest. My mid 80's Equipe would do about 90% of the SUP and in some cases perform much better. I never tried to SUP the board but I spent hundreds of hours of sailing 15-25 and rode a gazillion waves with it.

I always felt that a good longboard and a shortboard with a 3 sail Quiver would take care of at least 80% of most sailors needs. Most sailors, being the ones that don't sail the Gorge, Maui. ot the OBX on a regular basis.

My two most recent purchases were the Serenity and Exocet S Cross 130, I'm thinking 5.3. 7.2 and 8.5 should cover most of my needs.

Have not heard the taser name mentioned in a while. What a wild boat. Rotating mast, stay adjustments that could be change on the fly, forgot what the weight was but I know it wasn't much. If every thing was tuned right it flew. If one thing was out of synch it was a dog.

My wife and I are both light, so when we moved from the Taser we went to the Laser II. What a fun boat that is... with a spinker pole longer that a J24's it moved on the reaches and planned upwind.

tm00
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never very involved with racing, but my Tasar would be fun to race. The boat came with a binder on how to sail it and get the most out of it. As I recall the boat weight fully rigged is about 150lbs. I spent alot of tme single handing it. It got fairly busy tacking in 15-20. Holding on to the Main sheet with my teeth, rotating the mast, setting the Jib Sheet, sliding up on the gunnel, slipping my feet under the hiking straps, bare off a bit. Get the boat up on a plane, sheet in somemore and really start flying. Makes windsurfing a walk in the park.

I think they are still being built in VanCouver,BC

Great Boat......
Jamiewatts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: SUP vs windsurfers Reply with quote

Off the south shore of Long Island NY I have sailed longboards for years, and still frequently sail Equipe and a modified '88 Superlight - but last year added Pacifico (the first, big one), which was a gift from my wife (not chosen by me). It is not the only SUP board I have paddled/windsurfed. I have also windsurfed 11' Amundsen, Kona Surf, and paddled Amundsen and Oxbow 11'. For non-surf paddling the Pacifico is as good as the Amundsen, and for light air sailing, it's much better. The Kona Surf is too small for good light air sailing, and I never had it in the waves, but undoubtedly this is the longboard for high winds . The Pacifico in the waves in not great - too little rocker - but it's ok. No doubt the Amundsen, with more rocker, would be better, but never had the chance. But where the Pacifico really shines is sailing/windsurfing in 7-15 knots - planes up beautifully and is fast. I sail it without straps - once you have done this for a while it's hard to go back to straps (unless wind is 20+, which I don't have a lot). The deck of my Equipe now seems hopelessly crowded and uncomfortable.

Point is, I think it doesn't really matter that much which longboard you have - they each have their strengths, but all will allow for loads of fun. That is what is great about the longboard/SUP phenomenon, is is a return to the roots of the sport - it is fundamentally playful (in this respect BIC Jungle may be most pure expression of that playfulness). Local conditions and personal preferences will suggest one board over another, but it doesn't matter that much. Yes, most people will never have the chance to demo boards before they buy, and yes, I would love to try the Starboard SUP'er, or The Whopper (how does it sail?), and would really love to try the AHD Sea Lion (which is sort of a different category), but don't see how the companies could have a business plan that would allow this. If you're not in Hawaii, you've got to guess at equipment - so far, I have done well this way, after some research on the web. I will add that it's a troubling trend that board manufacturers are now offering mast tracks in only a few of their SUP boards (many makers have no mast tracks). I don't get it. What is the actual cost to manufacturers to put a track in? $10? $20? Is it an aesthetic issue? Is it a nod to purists?
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife and I just had our maiden voyages Saturday. I got her a soft SUP and me a Bic Jungle. Its funny. I've never been on the water at our local lake unless it was windy. To jump on the Bic and paddle around on glassy water was amazing! It was neat to see all the vegetation and fish swimming through it. Its gonna be a fun summer!
OK, now beat me up for buying the Jungle........ Confused

Aranel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kona One is a perfectly acceptable flat-water SUP. I've done it on many occasions, even compared it to the Amundson SUP, which my wife owns. The Kona has a fine straight-line performance, especially with the daggerboard down. This can be useful when dealiing with winds and river current. It's a little slow compared to the Amundson, but I'm not looking to win any speed records here. I've also never paddled the Kona in the waves.

The Amundson is a very nice all-around SUP. I haven't put a sail on it yet, but I will soon. The thinner rails make it easier to turn than the Kona. Can't wait to try it in the waves.

The point about the Kona One is that it's a great all-around board. It does few things extremely well, but it does many things. My buddies on the Hudson still laugh at my huge board, but I'm the only one out sailing when the winds are below 15 MPH. And I'm having a good time.

Jaimewatts, are you coming to East Coast Windfest?

-Ian

www.hudsonwindsurfer.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: