myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
almost one more month till the main season...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: almost one more month till the main season... Reply with quote

I'm so stoked about the up & coming spring/summer season, I spent literaly everyday in the gym getting strong for windsurfing. New gear, attitude, it's going to be the best yet.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really know what you're doing in the gym, ignore this post.

Otherwise:

1. Unless you're being careful to avoid working any given muscle on two successive days, you're tearing yourself down, not building up.

2. Unless we're really weak, we need muscle endurance, not more strength. The two come from very different exercise paradigms. The standard threshold is this: if you can execute a sports move (e.g., sheeting in, leg press) 10 times at the load and speed required for WSing, you've got the necessary strength and will benefit more from endurance training.

3. I hope you're changing your workout often. Our bodies plateau within a few weeks if we don't surprise them with a new workout.

4. I hope that your cardio work is LSD (no, not that; long slow distance ... read: boring) to train your muscles to run on fat. High pulse rate cardio work trains us to run on sugar, which cuts shred time.

5. I hope you're busting your core hard. It's vital to any whole-body sport. And I don't mean crunches; they're primarily for show, not go; i.e., they're just cosmetic. The real core muscles, the ones we actually use, are much deeper.

Mike \m/
jse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what Mike says. However I think if you're practicing freestyle moves, fast-twitch muscle strength, particularly in your upper body would benefit you. Of course, flexibility is equally important for that kind of thing.

Steve
jse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to mention... Cmon March!!!
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, fast twich development emphisis on my torso, lower body. Heavy weights for my upper and shoulders, and about 50 miles run every week. Add a copios amount of lap swimming and getting baked in the steam room, recipe for buff....
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimwilkins,

Maybe you're a young guy and can push real hard, but I would suggest being cautious, particularly with the running regimen. Over time the things we do to ourselves can come back to haunt you as you age.

At my current age, I'm being plagued by my lack of mid-body flexibility and a sensitive lower back. Any simple ideas of how improve things without going to a gym or over doing it?

Fortunately, windsurfing treats me very well, but I recently bought a Starboard Serenity, and I'm finding that the whole uphauling process is really taxing me. Frankly, I can handle an inside out day of 4.2 wind and my 65 liter board quite easily compared to a very light wind session on the Serenity.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Any simple ideas of how improve things without going to a gym or over doing it?

Get your brain implanted in a 16 year old body.

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, maybe the Serenity needs to go. Who cares about the super light stuff anyway?

Surely time will tell where the right path is. It always does, in one way or another.
FredFX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
swchandler wrote:
Any simple ideas of how improve things without going to a gym or over doing it?

Get your brain implanted in a 16 year old body.

I'll volunteer. I turned 16 a few days ago Wink
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are lots of 16 year olds with no brains, take ya pick brah... YOGA is another idea, aparently theres alot of flatulance involved during the process so it might be no good.

Last edited by jimwilkins on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: