myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New England windsurfer moving to Portland area!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schweitzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: transplant in progress! Reply with quote

Benny!
congratulations! You are pulling down some of the best advice,
from the best heavyweight bloggers you could find!
get a 4.0 for sure. when you get to the Gorge you will need it!
It will not be small enough, you will whining on the beach like a rookie kiteboarder.so get a good one!
From where you are now, consider a couple of stops on your way to the Gorge, Lake Isabella, near bakerfield Ca., and Sherman Island
(marker 14) in the bay area. I am driving out of North Idaho to get to the Gorge in 6-8 hours so I don't have 1st hand info on these sites, But I know those who do, as you are doing, who know that the windy season for these sites are good when the gorge is still cold. On your way Up, if you come up th pacific coast, Make a pont to find Floras Lake! It is not on your typical "tourist" map because it is at a Curry county park.
Look for "Bryce Cope" near the incredibly small town of Langious OR.
south of Bandon. This very pleasent place is a jibe nursery. "Will' is there
to instruct if you need it. In these places you will find that your appearance as a "Hatchery Hillbilly" will not be out of place.
Your traveling show must include an advanced rack and some adaptations. curious to see your individual solution to that problem.
I do not expect to have very cold water in the Gorge this year becauce
the snow pack is off, hard to beat last years current! Your "experience" is just begining! Be in the Gorge for "Victoria Day" ( the weekend before
Memorial Day) to catch the Swap meet. See you there.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a warm wetsuit, the Gorge windsurfing season has already begun! For Portlanders, Rooster Rock is the place to go when the winter east wind cranks up. I've been out three times already this Feb! Rooster is only 25 mins from downtown Portland. This is one spot where that 3.2m sail often comes in handy. Enjoy!
bobg
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waall, now, I think THAT'S a little optimistic for most people. Don't get this newbie's shorts all knotted up quite yet, considering that the water temp is still a life-threatening 38 degrees. For me -- who for years ride dirt bikes comfortably at well below zero F -- I'd want a few accessories with that wet suit, starting with 5mm neoprene hood, neoprene dry mittens, 7mm dry booties ... and full dry suit on top of it all.

Dressed like that, bombing across the river feels less like windsurfing than bowling. Wink

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good time of year for a gleesome threesome.... early AM tele sesh on the hill, mid afternoon sailing sesh at Stevie, mtn. bike sesh at sunset.

East winds are beginning to slow down a bit now ( 3.7 - 4.7 at Home Valley => Stevenson ).... west winds and sunshine should start taking shape out east (think Roosevelt) soon. Not many takers, great time of year to avoid the crowds.

Note on our recent installment... snow quality is now awesome fluff on the hill. Take it while it's available.... all you can eat... it's a limited time offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: