myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing in Kaui
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maui95

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: windsurfing in Kaui Reply with quote

I have a trip planned for a week to Kaui this summer. Does anyone know if there is rental equiptment available there? I would rather not bring my own.
edalunan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Kaua'i? If so then I'm afraid you will need to bring your own equipment. I was there last summer with the family and there was no decent rental, only 80's style stuff in very bad shape if you can find them. Better off flying to Maui for a day. Surfing is great tho.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my experience too. There used to be more equipment available in the 80's, but that kind of dried up some time ago. However, if you bring your own stuff, you can sometimes benefit.

In the summertime, the wave sailing off the southeast side, east of Poipu at Maha'ulepu Beach can be really great, but it's a port tack spot. I've also heard that the Salt Pond further west can also be fun, but I've never sailed there.

Take your own stuff.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there last summer also. Anini beach had some newer beginner equipment, but that is about it. You may want to check with the airlines before you bring your equipment. I was reading on the luggage information for United and windsurfing equipment was restricted to the larger planes. Since only the 727's fly to Kauai that could be an issue. Make sure you look into it so your gear doesn't get stranded in Honolulu.

Coachg
carl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
I was there last summer also. Anini beach had some newer beginner equipment, but that is about it. You may want to check with the airlines before you bring your equipment. I was reading on the luggage information for United and windsurfing equipment was restricted to the larger planes. Since only the 727's fly to Kauai that could be an issue. Make sure you look into it so your gear doesn't get stranded in Honolulu.

Coachg

Apparently United flys 757s into Lihue. My flight home from Maui was delayed 9 hrs because of trouble in Lihue, that's another story. But yea, check ahead to see
if your flights will take that big stuff.
Personally, I would just go to Maui for several days after your stay in Kauai,
It's a huge hassle to take your stuff.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Kauai a lot (7 times since 1977), but the last time was in 2000. On that last trip, I took a board and a bag of stuff that included my boom, masts, sails and everything else. Overall, the decision was worth it, but I should point out that going to Kauai for a vacation wasn't my primary reason for being there. Still though, I scored a number of days, even some right at Hanalei, my destination.

No problem with my stuff a that time (I paid $75 each way from LAX), but I can't say things are the same since 9/11/2001.

Needless to say, if windsurfing in your goal, go to Maui, especially during the summer months. I literally rips almost every day. I usually spent at least 2 to 3 weeks there on my trips, and taking my own equipment was the rule. I usually took 2 boards and 4 sails, with the necessary masts and booms and other stuff. Surprisingly maybe now, it was only costing me $100 US each way.

Those were the good old days!
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

United has a 90lb weight limit, so if you gear bag is over 90 lbs they won't take it. If you fly direct to Lihue via SF for example you fly in a 757 and surf boards, windsurf gear is no problem as long as your windsurf bag is under 90lbs. If you fly to Honolulu first and then to Lihue, your gear almost always ends up on a flight or two behind your flight. There is great windsurfing and kitesurfing at Naue Cove, aka Y Camp in Haena.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a month on Kuaii. Took one lg board bag with 89 liter board (25lbs) 2 sails 5.8-5.0 one 2 piece mast and a carbon boom. Everything fit in one bag. Probably a total weight of 60lbs.

You can do it but be careful to pack tight and follow all the rules. Make sure the bag fits everything in advance, and tape foam on both ends of the board.

Tunnels is the spot in the summer unless you like crunchy port tack south swell. Poipu is excellent on south swells. I sailed 30 out of 30 days in August. There were mast high days on both sides of the island. Kuaii is very under rated.
edalunan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had gear when I was there too since it blew almost everyday. Would be lonely sailing by yourself tho - I did not see any windsurfers in the water.
maui95

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful advice; looks like I’ll be heading to Kauai (strictly family time) followed by some Maui (ws) time on the way home. Cheers, juan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: