myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
baja??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stilladdicted

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: baja?? Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a beaten subject,

but here I am, watching dust to glory for the umpteenth time. My dog wants to go back to punta san carlos, my dirtbike is screaming for the wide open desert, and then there is the windsurf gear - always yearning for the slow long waves of san carlos.

But alas, even teh handyman says he won't go back to visit his family, too much violence.

Texas has a contengency plan for 1.2 million immigrants should mexico fall to the drug lords (ala Columbia),

Yet, old desert racers assure me, it's just the usual crap in TJ.

Long entry to a simple question - anybody planning on heading to baja this spring? Any additional concerns, precautions?

Mike
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to go with my son who now sails too. I used to go 8-10 times a year. My wife is from Mexico and she isn't too cool with it though.

6000 dead in 08 in the ongoing drug war makes Maui sound good. My wifes uncle was chief of police in TJ at one time. None of those guys want to be there either. It's a dangerous time. Don't drive a nice truck.

I think we're all confused, but you can't beat the spot when it's on. I suggest a caravan. Maybe everyone should announce on this forum who is going and when. Driving down with others seems much safer. Having 2 vehicles is always safer on the road. Good luck.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: baja?? Reply with quote

stilladdicted wrote:

Long entry to a simple question - anybody planning on heading to baja this spring? Any additional concerns, precautions?

I am 19 years old and managed to convince my parents to let me take their car with a friend down to Punta San Carlos in September. We had a smooth trip, with no drug lord altercations, (except for getting lost in TJ).

Drive during the day time, and don't get out of the car till past Ensenada.

Also we went back in November to San Felipe and that trip went well. I wouldn't hesitate going back. I plan on going at some point either this Spring or Fall.
89Spring

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We want to try and do a trip towards the end of march and into april. I know the west coast, san carlos will be getting good but how about the east. Ventanna Barrilles etc ? Kinda towards the end of the season. We would be up for a caravan.
EddyBreffitt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I can give is cross at Tecate, both ways, and do not drive at night. Otherwise, just go. The crowds are now thinner, but once you pass El Rosario it is very mellow. Well worth it. Life is short, and the dangers just make it more exciting1
kellydennis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Baja Reply with quote

We came thru TJ in Mid Jan lots of federal policia and military presence on the roads and significnatly less traffic then previous years. We did not experience any problems i think cruising thru baja Norte with as few stops as possible is good advice, stay in regular campgrounds (up North at least) caravaning they are all good practices. Once you get south Baja is still the same. Concerning Los Barrilles it is late in the year for wind. Probably a safer bet to hit SC. typically the wind in LB starts to decline in March.
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer that "go to Baja = you will die" keeps it's currency. Makes it nice and uncrowded down there...
Seriously, the most dangerous thing is just driving. Narrow roads, macho overtaking from the locals, and poor emergency response all add up. I think everyone has had a "come to jesus" experience down there with, say, a truck on the wrong side just as you round a bend etc...
elenna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see email below

Last edited by elenna on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
elenna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going again. The violence seems to focus on the drug trade in general and is not focused on the tourists. Yes, it seems like violence has increased, but that's the media selling advertising. Don't get bogged down in it. See through the smoke and mirrors.

I still believe that Baja is one of the safest vacation destinations around. As with a shark attack, the probability of being involved in one of these incidents is extremely low. Don't sweat it and drive during the day, with a caravan, etc. There are still millions of tourists and expats down there having a blast and taking advantage of the inexpensive prices.

Now if you're a cop, drug lord, or judge in TJ, you've got good reason to be worried.

We go in June, if you want to caravan with us, let me know. Usually 4-10 of us make the trip, sometimes more if the peer pressure has any effect.

Eric
victor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Colombia all over again. Lots of idle, low life, well armed criminals with no fear of the authorities and a little taste of affluence.

My Colombian friends say it has calmed down recently there but it took 30 years and a few billion dollars in US aid. The dollars had less to do with the improvement than the narcotraficantes simply getting a little class.

It's probably the same in Afganistan.

Should we blame the suppliers or the consumers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: