myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winsurfing on the island of Hawaii

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buestad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Winsurfing on the island of Hawaii Reply with quote

Has anyone recently windsurfed on the island of Hawaii lately? I'm going there on business and would like to know of the sailing conditions, launches, and surf conditions? Any info would be helpful. I plan to take my own gear, as I haven't found any shops on the island? Question
carl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to say which side of the island, Kona or Hilo, also what time of year. They are far apart and I would assume much different conditions, what season makes a big difference too (I haven't sailed either place, sorry). I also heard no rentals anymore. You might consider extending your stay with a few days on Maui instead of lugging equipment for what may be marginal conditions (big hassle and some airplanes/shuttle buses can't even take the stuff).
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: As long as you brought it up... Reply with quote

I'm going to the Big Island early July and staying on the Kona side. Any 411? Thanks, Bull
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed at Waikola many years ago. It was nice, but I had to bring my own gear, because there were no rentals at the time.

If you really want action, I went to south point on a port tack mast high day. I think this is the best place to wave sail on the big Island.
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Not very much or its well hidden Reply with quote

There is a tourist trap rental on the Kona side they have 15 year old equipment for something like 50 bucks and hour, I think its Hapuna Beach.
The locals have a couple of secret spots . I think they one has a windsurfing sensor which are pretty hard to get to one at North Point and one at South point. I have a friend that lives and Hilo and says they sail there but in the 8 times I have been there I have never seen any one out in Hilo bay and winds there have always been low. There was an article in Windsurfing about South point along time ago . As I recall they said you need a 4x4 to get to it.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be helpful for the wind speeds when you're on-island...

iWindsurf Hawaii (Big Island):
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=2150&is_beta=true

We hope you catch a good spell of wind while you're there!

(South Point is blowing pretty well this AM.)

hi.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.03 KB
 Viewed:  8062 Time(s)

hi.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: