myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best windsurfing mini van?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that I've very deliberately, and with much deliberation, bet my very life on large-scale statistics, I consider "anecdotal evidence" to be one of the world's leading oxymorons.

OTOH, statistics be damned if it's what you want to drive, as Dan says. My brother bought a second Audi Quatro despite having to spends thousands every year keeping his first one on the road (including while it was under warranty) and its being roadworthy only half the time, simply because he loved the way it drove at triple digit speeds in rainy weather. He swore off Audis when his next one was just as bad. (Heads, blocks, entire brake system, AC, etc, often at his expense). His Mercedes SUV was almost as bad.

A high-end used car dealer here ($25k and up luxury and sports vehicles) won't even carry some makes because they can't get or keep them on the road. That includes Volvo, BMW (to actually DRIVE a BMW, he and some owners have told me, you have to own two BMWs and live beside a BMW dealer), and Jaguar. He shook his head about one customer who demanded an $80,000 Jaguar (used price), so the dealership got him one. It was roadworthy for maybe one day a week, sometimes waiting weeks to months for parts like my brother's Audi. Another dealer had a very low-mileage, 1 or 2-year old, limited-production, high-performance Volvo wagon he was pushing. He HAD to (push it), because, among at least a dozen other problems I saw, it wouldn't start. He got it running, and I loved the way it drove, but he admitted they -- a Volvo dealership -- had been unable to fix the other problems in the week they had to work on the car.

When it's windy or I'm cruising down a dark, empty, rural road with thousands of bucks of WSing gear in my car, I want to be fairly sure it will get me home or to the river.

Mike \m/
esteban

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am diesel man and love our sprinter for family trips but IMO the best daily windsurf rig is a station wagon- easy to get the stuff in the back or on top and park in smaller spaces room to sit and change with the back door open. I have a 05 VW Passat TDI running on biodeisel and get about 35 MPg in mixed driving conditions i love it and it drives sporty on the way to the beach! Subaru makes a nice wagon too but there are plenty of other options if I had to do it again i would get a mercedes 300 series wagon and run it on veggie oil!
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
Dan,

Your pictures way too small! Please, post 3 times bigger pictures.

OK, adjustment made.
koogzah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
I happen to love my Alfa Romeo with 190,000 on the odo!

That is NOT an Alfa Romeo! It is a fat front-wheel-drive pig of a sedan that should be ashamed to wear the hallowed cross and serpent.
koogzah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion... Very Happy
alexw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Minivan Madness Reply with quote

Try an '81 VW Vanagon. Got it for 600 clams, had it painted for work traded AND it gets great mileage when in neutral and going downhill!

Windsurf bum... and loving it.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bud Greg lives full time in his VW van about 9 months each year, despite having access to a nice home. He prefers the flexibility. I thoroughly enjoyed (most of) my 4-6 months each year in a van down by the river.

Mike \m/
alexw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Minivans, cont... Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the life. Unfortunately, mine's not a camper, but I'm going to search for the fold-out bench seat/bed that is found in the Westfalias and spend all spring/summer/fall chasing the wind... and breaking in the Vanagon Wink
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:
In my opinion... Very Happy

Front wheel drive pig that will drop an M5 of the same vintage no problem Cool

Just as another fun note, our Alfa club drives a yearly romp through the Berkshire mountains with the Ferrari Club of New England. Those guys bring out the goods, from 3-series to Testarossas to the 599 -and they drive like they stole 'em. A 1992 164 L AUTOMATIC happened to be second in line and kept up with the lead F430 without any problem.

I will say that I almost purchased the Testarossa as I discovered that its brakes are far superior to mine -even though both are Brembo. I had a bit of a moment after glancing to track out only to see the Testarossa's illuminated tail lights rapidly approaching. Too rapidly, or so I thought. My 164's brakes never locked nor did ABS kick in. I couldn't believe it but sure felt glad that I only came close to punting him off the road.

What Alfa do you drive koogza? I suspect it is a 4 cyl with a wood shifter handle.
koogzah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:

What Alfa do you drive koogza? I suspect it is a 4 cyl with a wood shifter handle.

Definitely a DOHC 4, but plastic shift knobs are more than acceptable. I had a 69 GTV for a long time. Euro cams and springs, Giallo Ocra, original flying buttress seats. Bellissima. Still regret selling it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: