myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ACCESS AT TREASURE ISLAND
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wlundquist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically to get to the rigging area you would follow I Avenue towards the NE corner of Treasure Island. I Avenue jogs right and left when you approach the NE corner of the island. When it jogs just keep going straight onto a dirt road under a tree right out to the launch area.
galateo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: small dirt road Reply with quote

wlundquist, I found the exact same place last week, waited for a little bit and when i decided to rig some guy showed up and told me to leave! he did not have a uniform, I think he is the manager of these apartment.
too bad this place would be perfect...
galateo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes I forgot, the manager dude said the best legal option would be to park in the visitor parking in the apartment complex and reach the ramp from there. Very limited places i guess.
Where do you guys launch now? at the end of 13th street?
cheers
wlundquist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I e-mailed the Navy contact responsible for the remediation project and he confirmed that indeed the access that I have described is safe and is not subject to Navy restriction or jurisdication in any way. I am posting a copy of this e-mail below. He also informed me that the coast guard is not responsible either so the uniformed coast guard individual who told me to leave was acting outside of his jurisdiction.

That leaves the apartment manager mentioned in another post to this forum or some other entity.

We are almost there. At least we are narrowing our sights. It will be possible to determine who is responsible for restricting access to this grassy area, and the boat ramp that is only 50 feet away!

READ BELOW: THIS IS FROM THE NAVY OFFICER RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TREASURE ISLAND NE CORNER ACCESS POINT.

Weyman,

I was out on site last Wednesday so I know exactly what you are talking
about.

Thanks for asking. You are correct that the section of Perimeter Path
leading to the boatramp is now outside of our fenced remediation project
area, so there are no current environmental or construction hazard issues
that prevent access to anyone via the route you took. Access is also
available from the west along the Perimeter Path, although no private
vehicles are permitted on the path.

I have no idea who the uniformed person was but I will try to find out. The
property is administered by the Navy so I would not think it was the Coast
Guard, unless they were running some sort of an exercise.

Since we have an ongoing investigation and remediation program, project area
boundaries are still subject to change in the future, but are currently as
you described. As you may already know, the contaminants currently driving
our project are Radium 226, Lead, PCBs, PAHs and Dioxins. We do ask that
everyone respect any posted hazard or warning signs.

The other factor in this is that I don't know what access plans the City
will have relative to driving into the grassy area. The Navy administers
the property, but the City, via the Treasure Island Development Authority
(TIDA), operates the island on a day to day basis under agreement with the
Navy.

This might not be a complete answer but I hope it is helpful.

Jim Sullivan
James B. Sullivan
Navy BRAC Environmental Coordinator
Naval Station Treasure Island
(619) 532-0966
Cell (619) 743-8375
james.b.sullivan2@navy.mil
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this only works if you can tack up to the boat ramp from the end of the jetty on your way in, right? If you've got enough volume and/or skillz to tack up to the ramp then you're good. Personally, the closest I could ever get reaching across was near the mid point of the parking lot, and often stalled out before making it all the way. Embarassed If so, then you (I) would have to walk gear along the riprap to the ramp, or swim. I'm assuming walking across the parking lot back to the ramp is not an option, right?
windsrf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent TI access news! As far as sailing right back to the ramp, I've seen it done but it's almost more trouble than worth. Easier to just get close to shore/berm about halfway down the lot. Then there's often a nice counter-current that propels you back to the ramp as you walk along in the water. Quite easily done, even when tired, and no risk to gear/body. Hope this all proves out. Thanks, David
victor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's how it was done when we had access to the boat ramp. there were a couple of piles of sand bags on the rip rap to make it easier to get out so you didn't have to tack up to the ramp iteelf.

the launch near bayside dr isn't so hard getting in and involves no slogging but is difficult to get out particularly at high tide. having the option to swing around by the boat ramp and walking back is a good thing.

the dirt road/grassy area sounds a lot like haskins which was shut down.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news but that dirt road will not hold very many cars. Let's hope the parking lot is back in business by the summer but this interim solution is much better than launching off the outflow pipe to a sewage treatment plant.
wlundquist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who has not sailed TI before I will let you know that the boat ramp on the NE corner of the island offers far easier access than the present access location which is the end of 13th street (Near the corner of Avenue N). The boat ramp may require a short swim downwind (on the way out) and upwind (on the way in) but it is worth it.

In my opinion this location offers more consistent access to great wind than Crissy, and the wind is just as reliable as Crissy if not more. There is no dead wind area like you get at Crissy, you are right there in the wind. If it is blowing outside at Crissy, it is blowing at TI. I sailed TI consistently through September last fall on my 100 L board and rarely got shut down. And there is some current but not much, nice rolling swells and no Voodoo chop. No shipping traffic.

The problem is most likely going to be parking in the grassy area near the ramp. It is still not clear who controls this and why windsurfers and local residents have been told they cannot park there. It is not marked No Parking.
victor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

la la la la la la

Last edited by victor on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: