myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NEW WORLD ORDER? What everyone is talking about
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Financial weenie? Reply with quote

brettbuchanan wrote:
as far as isobars future is concerned, I hope it's prosperous.

It will be interesting to see how well pension COLAs keep up with hyperinflation, if that occurs. I'm not betting my farm on doom and gloom, but am about ready to protect some of my money from it ... however we do that. BO's just getting started in his self-admitted (ABC Democratic candidate debate) mission to penalize achievers at the expense of the economy.

Damn ... 5:00 AM on a weekday and already the website is balky.

Mike
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday wind? YES! The one thing that gets left out of this entire discussion is the fact that 99% of all Americans benefited, with smiles, from the asset bubble. It was a prty that nobody wanted to leave , and very few people squaked while it was building.
Bubbly Bubblicious
brettbuchanan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Bubble-icious Reply with quote

Very nice point Boggs - the party no one wanted to leave.

PZZ655-261730-
INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO PT. CA INCLUDING SANTA
CATALINA AND SANTA BARBARA ISLANDS-
233 AM PDT THU MAR 26 2009

TODAY
WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING 10 TO 20 KT IN
THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 3 TO 5 FT AT
9 SECONDS.
brettbuchanan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: COLA and Doom Reply with quote

Mike - Countering effects of Weimar Republic hyperinflation ideas:

Buy Gold
Grow Hydroponic Weed
Own a cow
Start a chicken coop
Become an organic farmer

Or, here's an even better idea, start a campaign to oust all sitting senators and congressmen then vote in a President without ties to Wall Street or Oil in 2012. Oh yeah, abolish the Fed and pass legislation that all US Treasury debt must be paid to zero every nineteen years - which was a belief that Thomas Jefferson held. He claimed that no generation had the right to pass on its debts to future generations. What a guy.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What scares me... Reply with quote

brettbuchanan wrote:
.. I also think that many of the people who were given charge of our financial system while book smart, may have lacked the common sense to know that a debt-based monetary system dependent on perpetual growth and monetary inflation to retire past debts might not have been sustainable - as is potentially being proven right now....

"they may have lacked the common sense" or perhaps you should say "blinded by greed"???
brettbuchanan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Blinded by greed... Reply with quote

Blinded by greed it is...
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett, my apologies for my last post, as it was a bit over the top.

Really, understanding much of the financial situation and its complex workings is way beyond me. But fortunately for me, I had enough sense some time ago to move my money into more conservative areas, so my losses since the market tanked have been virtually nil. Also, other than my fixed rate mortgage, I have no outstanding debt. Still though, its unnerving looking around and wondering about the dilemma we're in and how things will ultimately pan out.
brettbuchanan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: No apology required... Reply with quote

swchandler - No apology necessary. I had fun with it. I think we're all trying to figure this thing out. What worries me right now is all of the people who have already been displaced, and those yet to be, as a result of the Fed's failed policies. I'd been in the mortgage business for twenty years before I left in 2006 to pursue other avenues. I loved my work. I loved getting people into homes or helping them refinance into lower rates or to restructure debt. It was very rewarding. I developed relationships that continue to this day. I helped friends, families, strangers, you name it. And one thing I can attest to is this - after having seen thousands of borrowers financial pictures I can say with confidence that the vast majority of people are simply struggling to keep pace with the rest of their peers. Only a minute fraction had gone hog-wild during the real estate boom - meaning they were committing fraud, etc. Sure there was a ton of speculation going on, but it's hard to fault people for that as the rules to the game were manipulated by others - Wall Street and the Fed to be specific.

What I would like to see come out of this is a return to old school 'watch out for my fellow man' ideology. Personally, I'm a humanist. What I mean is that I believe in people. I do not believe in government. Thomas Paine said it best in Common Sense - his pamphlet that help incite the American Revolution.

Quote:
"Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. The one encourages intercourse, the other creates distinctions. The first is a patron, the last a punisher. Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil."

My personal views on our situation are an exact reflection of Paine's words. So I'm going to come out of the closet here and admit that I, Brett Curtis Buchanan, love my fellow man. There, I said it.

Now what the hell is the wind doing?
SWE106

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main theme i read between the lines among many respondents is fear of change... change is good, change is inevitable, and change is the only constant in our lives; so embrace it. The old is old for a reason, the new is what you have to life with. My prediction is that those that don't like change aren't very good sailors either... ooopss i said it.... Windsurfing is all about change: the elements are never the same, constantly changing: yday nuking 2day light breeze, yday an ebb 2day a flood. yday mast high 2day a ripple, yday soulsurfing, 2day crowded, etc etc. Adapt to them, embrace 'em, make 'em work in your advantage. Good sailors can sail good in any condition, and for a reason...I am NOT saying I am a good sailor, though I am all for change!... Free your mind, let the old and past rest, look ahead and stop whining about how good the good'ol days were. They weren't that good; they are just the 'ol days, otherwise they would be the new days! Amen, and wtf go sailing now!!!
brettbuchanan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Fear of change... Reply with quote

The only thing I fear is a cut-off low. And Carnies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: