myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boston in West Wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eugene08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Boston in West Wind Reply with quote

Hi All,

I recently bought some equipment and want to try it out on water. Are there any decent places for WEST wind (for Monday 3/30)? I'm looking to get an after work session at either pleasure bay or Nahant. I don't want to drive far at all.

Nahant seems decent as it's more open and the wind will be less gusty. I'm fairly comfortable going out in off-shore wind.

Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone wants to join me, it would be great.

-Eugene
DavidAC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleasure Bay on West winds is OK if you sail on the East side, closest to the ocean. It's gusty because the wind is coming through the city buildings and over the trees, but it is steadier and stronger as you move East on the bay.

My favorite launch around Boston on West winds is Nickerson Beach in Squantum. West wind is on-shore there, and will be 2-3 knots (or more) stronger than Pleasure Bay. I remember planing last fall in Squantum on a 6.0 sail, 105 L board when some of my friends were crawling on 8.5s and large boards in Pleasure Bay.

You park on side streets. If you sail near Squantum to the south, it is relatively shallow and without swells. However, it is best to beat to North, and get stronger winds towards Thompson Island. The wind fills in nicely, and you have a reach from Marina Bay in Quincy to Deer Island and beyond, with the Thompson Island beaches providing rest spots. At low tide, Thompson Island and Squantum are connected, creating a little bay in case of breakdowns.

-David
windwardpartners

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two launches providing sideshore B&J for westerlies, both on Parkhurst Beach. First listing is for parking immediately on beach. Second listing is for small park providing grassy rig area adjacent to beach. Monday is looking good - afternoon high tides.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.271182,-70.955868&z=19&t=h&hl=en

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.272324,-70.953169&z=19&t=h&hl=en[/url]
bates

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try Hull, lots of good launches there for a westerly breeze. Also Windward do you work in boston at Windward Investments?
bates

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try Hull, lots of good launches there for a westerly breeze. Also Windward do you work in boston at Windward Investments?
windwardpartners

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.... just a coincidence
icesailing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: nahant Reply with quote

Nahant is geat on a west wind day when its flat there.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been more than a decade, but I used to sail on Hingham Bay in W and SW launching out by the Hull gut. You have to be careful with the current in the gut and around the shipping lane, but it's a wide expanse of water.
eugene08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: cool Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and good advice, everyone. Looks like there was a shift to NW and i decided to go to Parkhurst Beach. I hope to see some of you there today. I should be getting there at 4:30/5:00 pm

-Eugene M.
eugene08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: anyone heading out today? Reply with quote

hey, is anyone gonna head out today? I'm thinking of doing an after-work session at one of the spots mentioned in this thread. If anyone is thinking about going, feel free to pm me or just post on here.

-Eugene M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: