myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sealing Wetsuit Seams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcevans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Sealing Wetsuit Seams Reply with quote

After a chilly session Friday in the Bay, I noticed that the seams in my Ripcurl 5/4/3 are coming unglued at some places on the inside. The stitching is all intact, but I could feel cold spots as the water seeped in.

I want to seal it up before I go to PSC in 2 weeks. Any advice on what to use to make the seams waterproof again and maintain the flexibility?

Thanks,
Tom
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripcurl has long been known for its lifetime construction warranty and service. One bud sent his ancient neoprene hulk back to them years ago and got a thorough overhaul ... free.

That's where I'd start.

If they don't do that any more, Google and get some seam seal and neoprene cement and get busy. Both can be quite effective for at least a season.

Mike \m/
chibichibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried an Aquaseal job on a farely deep wetsuit gouge in the knee area. it barely worked. maybe i needed the cement you're talking about. Also tried that stuff on a Thermarest leak, also did not work.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've deliberately butt-glued two pieces of neoprene together with neoprene cement, then tried to pull them apart to test the joint. It tore somewhere else, and the seam was barely noticeable. It's a black contact cement that slightly dissolves the neoprene so it welds when joined.

Mike \m/
crashman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquaseal is too stiff-yes it glues the tear together, but on the first stretch, in my experience, theres a new tear next to the old one. And then the chilly Pacific comes in causing major shrinkage... I got this stuff from Promotion made specifically for wetsuits and it works great!
gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I've deliberately butt-glued two pieces of neoprene together...

Mike \m/

Butt-glue! I don't even want to know...
tcevans

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashman wrote:
I got this stuff from Promotion made specifically for wetsuits and it works great!

What is the "stuff"?

The only thing I see on the ProMotion site is Aquaseal Seal Cement, which is good for small nicks/cuts (as they describe) but I believe would be too stiff for entire seams.
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a new suit!
vmaher2045

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying this new stuff I found at Lowes. It's called Locktite Stick and Seal. It's drys clear and stretchy. I put some on the place I want to repair and then put clear packing tape over the repair. Remove the tape after about eight hours and get a nice smooth finish. I'm about week into the early repairs and they seem ecellent.

The best part about Stick and Seal is it can be built up to replace missing pieces of rubber.

My experience with Aquseal is the same as others. Its difficult to work with, drys hard and then turns yellow. Wetsuit glue is messy and for me it doesn't seem glue all that well all the time even if I do prep work. Forget about trying to build up anything with it. You have to do patches.

Hope this helps. I'm interested to know if you get good results like mine.

Vasco.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmaher2045 wrote:
I'm trying this new stuff I found at Lowes. It's called Locktite Stick and Seal. It's drys clear and stretchy. I put some on the place I want to repair and then put clear packing tape over the repair. Remove the tape after about eight hours and get a nice smooth finish.

Neoprene cement is cured and ready to rip ... er, shred ... in 15 minutes.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: