myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The 2009 Gorge Guide
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarryW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: The 2009 Gorge Guide Reply with quote

For those of you who may not have seen it yet windsurfing seems to have become an afterthought in the new Gorge Guide. This year there is a total of TWO pages dedicated to windsurfing and there is no longer a guide to windsurfing sights and no full length map of Gorge sailing sites. I encourage everyone to drop the Gorge Guide publishers an email and express your displeasure with this years issue. Granted there is only one windsurfing ad in the new Gorge Guide but why would windsurfing related businesses advertise with so little windsurfing coverage?

When I emailed them this was their response:

"Thank you so much for contacting the Gorge Guide. We value the comments of all of our readers as it helps us gauge the value of the editorial content we provide. The Gorge Guide did start as a windsurfing magazine almost 30 years ago and in the last 20 years has become the official visitor guide to the Columbia River Gorge. We aim to represent the diverse and varied interests of the six counties and 2 states that comprise the Gorge as best we can. We are sorry to have disappointed you and hope you will continue to be a faithful reader of the Gorge Guide. Again, we appreciate your comments and are glad you took the time to share them with us."
jesusjones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Sign o times Reply with quote

Thanks to the internet we have everything we need know about the Gorge and windsurfing. Sure it’s nice to have a little guide to help navigate you around; so just print off the pages and staple them together? I can relate to as why there’s no windsurfing advertising, moneys better spent on promoting events, charities, gatherings and such you know? That Gorge Guide was never that good anyway. What happened to 3*5? Now that was a handy little guide.

stooges.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  684.81 KB
 Viewed:  14701 Time(s)

stooges.jpg

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sign o times Reply with quote

jesusjones wrote:
Thanks to the internet we have everything we need know about the Gorge and windsurfing. Sure it’s nice to have a little guide to help navigate you around; so just print off the pages and staple them together? I can relate to as why there’s no windsurfing advertising, moneys better spent on promoting events, charities, gatherings and such you know? That Gorge Guide was never that good anyway. What happened to 3*5? Now that was a handy little guide.

I think our friend Mike Fick worked with 3.5 The Gorge as a gear tester. I think he was the one with the white hockey helmet Very Happy (just kidding, Mike)

That was a great, grass-roots pub.

-Dan
jota

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the Gorge Current in the late '80s? The publisher's name was Mike too. Talk about a grassroots publication. It was a free newsletter at area coffeshops, surf shops, and brewpubs. Or, I should say, the only brewpub - Full Sail! (Geez, do any locals go there anymore?)
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the White Cap back then by the way, and I still get in there a
couple of times a year, though I guess I'm not technically a local.

-Craig

jota wrote:
Or, I should say, the only brewpub - Full Sail! (Geez, do any locals go there anymore?)
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sign o times Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
jesusjones wrote:
What happened to 3*5? Now that was a handy little guide.

I think our friend Mike Fick worked with 3.5 The Gorge as a gear tester.

And Testing Director, Technical Editor, and sole equipment review and interview writer of many issues of PWR, aka 3.5 Publications, aka Performance Windsurf Report, plus sole writer of the publisher's windsurfing industry trade newspaper while it lasted.

How many of us get paid to play in our 50s? Four years of WSing, including a dozen months in the Gorge plus trips to Maui and the Caribbean, all paid for and deductible with a small profit left over ... not a bad deal for my two highest-priority activities.

I have various issues of the "3.5 Pocket Windsurfing Guide" on the shelf behind me and somewhere is a hard drive containing several years of original PWR gear review copy.

Mike \m/
jesusjones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: solid contributor Reply with quote

I remember seeing you on the water Mike, testing all that gear. I know it was fun. I read that magazine a lot, you did an outstanding job. Thanks for all your contributions over the years. Without you, Windsurfing would be missing a major contributor to the sport. I know you have helped many people in your day and I’m sure there are plenty of people who appreciate you like I do. God bless you Sir!

image006.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.61 KB
 Viewed:  14534 Time(s)

image006.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful, JJ, or people will think you're my sock puppet -- a la Brucie -- rather than just another wise, perceptive, good judge of character.

I should a also add that testing can be a good way to mess up a great hobby. The way we did it -- chasing all over Hellenbach in search of optimal test conditions -- involves way too much logistics, and writing up the tests ate into sailing time. And, oh yes, the worst part: trying to built a compatible rig out of four brands of equipment and get it to plug into a fifth brand of board with a fin that wouldn't fit into the fin box.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by isobars on Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
westender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever became of Michael the war hero??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: