myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Seat vs. Waist Harness
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windaholic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Seat vs. Waist Harness Reply with quote

I have always been dedicated seat harness sailor. Whether I'm on 3.5 or 8.0, I'm in a seat harness and I have never felt restricted by it in any way.

When I sail hard, especially if I hit it two days in a row, my lower back aches for a week. I do plenty of core exerises, so this problem goes beyond doing a few sit-ups.

My question is does a waist harness give similar support as a weightlifting belt? Has anyone experienced back paint that was reduced by changing harness styles? Or does the back strain come from the times when we are un-hooked like during jibes & jumps? I am reluctant to drop $100 just to try one out.

Any comments.....
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borrow one. Every back is different. A waist harness sets my strong back on fire in one reach, but I never know I'm wearing my XTSeat. I thus see no reason to switch ... for me.

Mike \m/
scooper

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a back problem too. It took me a few years to find a waist harness that didn't hurt my back. I borrowed them a bunch of times before I bought one. The trick was to get a good fit and keep it a little looser than most people wear them, but tight enough to avoid ride up. Overall I think the waist harness is a little more tiring to the back than the seat, at least that's how it feels to me.

It's interesting that when I had a recent disc flare up my physical therapist gave me a support harness for walking and standing that feels identical to my waist harness.

I actually think a little windsurfing strengthens the abdominal muscles and helps my back. Too much windsurfing can cause a flare up. The other thing that helps me is to take Advill as an anti-inflamatory, but it works a lot better if I take it before and during, rather than taking it after the session when inflamation may already have occured.

Let us know if you find anything else that helps.

omcm

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer a seat harness. My back is often sore after windsurfing but the thing that has given me the most relief is an inversion table. One to two minutes upside down decompresses the vertebrae and takes me from walking like Groucho Marks to upright and comfortable. I use a Teeter EP-550.
haterrater

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more importantly than the decision on whether to go with a waist harness or a seat harness is the decision to learn how to sail with proper technique.

Waist harnesses are designed to support the lower back while dispersing the load through the rest of you body instead of dead-ending the shock at the base of your spine.
That being said, design doesn't always equal reality - especially for sailors transitioning from the "ride-the-bull" days of windsurfing.

If you're going to go with a seat harness, make sure you get one with some solid back support (the xt seat, for instance, has plenty of lumbar support, though I'm sure there are many others) and make sure you sail with your hips in/up instead of sticking your butt out.

best luck,
-the haterrater
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
The other thing that helps me is to take Advill as an anti-inflamatory, but it works a lot better if I take it before and during, rather than taking it after the session when inflamation may already have occured.

I have forgotten the rationale, but exercising hard on NSAIDS is not advised. I seem to remember that it risks tendon damage.

Have you tried Pilates or a Swiss exercise ball (with guidance from books or instructors)? Our spine is like a chain, not a rod; its shape/path is determined by 3-4 layers of core muscles (beneath the abs) tugging laterally on each link/vertebra, not by the bones. Imbalanced core muscle tension pulls the corresponding vertebra out of alignment, leading to all sorts of back problems.

Situps/crunches hit the "abs" (rectus abdominus), not the core muscles, and are all but useless. They pull our chin towards our crotch, not a goal we want to achieve ... in public, anyway.

Mike \m/
susannah

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: seat vs. waist harness Reply with quote

hi windaholic--

i was in the same situation as you, sore back from wearing a seat harness while sailing. i never thought it was my seat harness, but then two years ago my friend pointed out that a waist harness is not unlike the support wal-mart employees etc use for heavy loads, and can offer more support. as my seat harness was on its last legs anyway, i decided to go for it, and bought a dakine nexus:

i am thrilled to say that i have not had a single day of back pain from windsurfing since!!! using a waist harness does take a very different technique from a seat harness--in a seat harness you can get away with bad form and still sail, with a waist harness, if you're not putting all your weight in the harness with the proper stance, you will not sail effectively. it took me the better part of a week in hatteras to get the technique down. but, once i figured it out, the results have all been positive: not only does my back not hurt anymore, but my stance has vastly improved, and as a result, so has my speed. Very Happy

i hope this helps. obviously, as someone else posted, everyone is different, and this might not be the cure all for you that it was for me, but this was my experience and i recommend it. go to the store and see what feels comfortable, try hanging in one for a bit to find a good fit. cheers Very Happy
wavedawg

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gio with the waist harness!! unlike the seat harness, you wont be sailing in an ab/crunch position, with your butt slapping against the waves. It may feel a bit awkward at first but you'll adjust to it quickly. Most newer boards seem to be designed with a more upright stance in mind, better for riding waves. Waist harness is better for flat water speed/slalom.
Try the waist harness - what have you got to lose?? It might even allow you to ride in wave conditions.
Besides, a ride over the falls and into the washing machine will give you a better, more natural, adjustment than any chiropractor can.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh!
jp5

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to a waist harness for a couple of years and experienced back pain so I switched back to a seat. My Dakine XT gives me plenty of support and no pain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: