myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Seat vs. Waist Harness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimb

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Da Kine Sonic Harness (Seat harness without leg straps) Reply with quote

This harness might work for you,

http://www.sailworld.com/08_tradeshow/dakine_sonic.htm
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Situps/crunches hit the "abs" (rectus abdominus), not the core muscles, and are all but useless. They pull our chin towards our crotch, not a goal we want to achieve ... in public, anyway.

Mike \m/

Respectfully disagree on two counts.............one, the "abs" are clearly part of the core muscles...........two, the abs (esp. the obliques) support the spine, and doing crunches with proper form to strengthen the abs will usually help to eliminate lower back pain. Correct use of an exercise ball and other core exercises can be helpful......hamstring stretches and pelvic tilts too.

As a veteran of back problems, I find that "sitting" on a seat harness puts my spine in a position similar to that of a pelvic tilt. That's part of the reason I use one.
Windaholic

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the feedback Reply with quote

To all who replied, thanks for the advise. I see I am not alone in the back pain dept. It is no fun scoring two or three days in a row of wind and having to stop sailing due to back pain.

I guess the final word is that I will not know how the waist harness will fit with my body type and sailing style until I try one. But, before I drop $100+, I will try to borrow one. Hopefully, I will have the same results as susannah wrote.
susannah

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it works for you. Very Happy If you borrow one, I would recommend sailing several days with that same one until you figure out the stance. You HAVE to throw your hips toward the sail--(in the seat harness I could get away with not doing that as much). As I said above, it took some time to get used to that stance. But it was worth it! No back pain=more sailing Very Happy Best of luck!!! -s
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailing technique may be way more important than which harness is used. Same as those that lift with their backs vs those with their legs in the work environment. Watch others with both types of harnesses. Pay attention everything they do. What do you do differently?

What about in other aspects of your life? Do you have a life time habit of lifting with your back, not your legs? Only you can answer those questions. If you have to risk hurting your back to gain a new set of habits with a different harness, why not just go straight to what may be the real issue? All your habits and techniques.

Lots of people don't bend their knees enough in jibes and other transitions. Lots flip their sails way too late. Some do time wasting things like double foot water starts. Easy habit to get into in the gorge, but I've seen people try that in the surf and get murdered....

All this about harnesses that raise the center of effort of the hook being better for people just seem like a strange solution to back problems. Esp since no one with a waist harness on equal sized gear has ever consistently passed me with my seat (delivers superior efficiency). I ain't got back problems unless I've been in the surf all day and been pushing my skills and carcass to the limit. By then, I need lots of food and drink, and a night's rest. Good to go next day.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Respectfully disagree on two counts.............one, the "abs" are clearly part of the core muscles...........two, the abs (esp. the obliques) support the spine, and doing crunches with proper form to strengthen the abs will usually help to eliminate lower back pain. Correct use of an exercise ball and other core exercises can be helpful......hamstring stretches and pelvic tilts too.

You're not disagreeing with me, per se; you're disagreeing with a large cadre of professional sports trainers with backgrounds in the NFL, med school, morgue autopsies, military physical conditioning, body-building, and on and on and on, plus dozens of exercise physiology books. Every one of those advised me to skip the crunches as purely cosmetic and concentrate on the underlying core muscles (plus my tight hams) for sports and for better back health.

Mike \m/
fanatik

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Back Pain Reply with quote

I have had back pain, and it is now releived from doing the right strengthening exercises.
But to the harness, I switched to a waist harness to better serve sailing waves.
I find it's best "because the harness I use allows the bar to slide fore and aft".
That seems to take a twisting load off my back.
Tried the seat after that, and found it twisted my back, so now I hate it.

Bottom line, have to have the exercises, and stretches first.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Back Pain Reply with quote

raesmar wrote:
I find it's best "because the harness I use allows the bar to slide fore and aft".

Our "waisties" modify their harnesses to prevent the slide, which they hate.

Different strokes.

Mike \m/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the feedback Reply with quote

Windaholic wrote:
To all who replied, thanks for the advise. I see I am not alone in the back pain dept. It is no fun scoring two or three days in a row of wind and having to stop sailing due to back pain.

I guess the final word is that I will not know how the waist harness will fit with my body type and sailing style until I try one. But, before I drop $100+, I will try to borrow one. Hopefully, I will have the same results as susannah wrote.

This is definitely the way to go (trying one). Give it a few sessions, as your first time out will probably feel "wrong". As you and your body learn to use the waist harness you'll get a sense of how it works with your back.

tom9167

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: