myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Seat vs. Waist Harness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waist, stand up! and don't forget to adjust those lines.
michelesmarty45

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
only if you stay inverted long enough to die.
Quote:
I also prefer a seat harness. My back is often sore after windsurfing but the thing that has given me the most relief is best inversion table 2017. One to two minutes upside down decompresses the vertebrae and takes me from walking like Groucho Marks to upright and comfortable. I use a Teeter EP-550.

Is it true that inversion table helps in pain relief?

Oh really?

Last edited by michelesmarty45 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a seat harness with race or wave conditions. worx fine in all conditions for me. lets my longest muscles work most for me: the legs. that simple.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't that cause wrinkles in your baggies that you wear outside your wetsuit?
Oh, you don't wear a wetsuit.
Windaholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a update from my original post six years ago. I decided to try a waist harness. First I used it for my small sails and as I got used to it I ended up using it for everything. The back pain that I used to get from wearing seat harness has almost been eliminated. When I would ride over chop with the seat harness, I felt as if the harness was compressing my spine. In contrast, the effect of the waist harness is almost comforting like a weight lifting belt. The waist harness did take some time to get used to. Initially, I was wearing it way too tight and I have learned to loosen it up and sail with a much better stance. Although I don't think I gave up any top end speed, I must admit I did give up some power that the seat on harness provided with an 8.0. But for me, it's worth the long term comfort I get from the waist harness.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dakine tabu kite waist harness that I use. And it is very comfortable.
rollerrider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out on a seat harness. Went over to waist for a few years but experienced back pain. Went back to seat and it helped with back pain. Recently I took a kite board lesson and used a Ride Engine waist harness. It is a hard shell with lumbar support. Stays put without over tightening. Felt really good with back support. Hope windsurfing picks up on this. Google Ride Engine waist harness.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windaholic wrote:
The waist harness did take some time to get used to. Initially, I was wearing it way too tight and I have learned to loosen it up and sail with a much better stance.

That's the key. It is very easy to have a poor stance in a seat harness. A waist harness pretty much forces you into a better stance. I used seat harnesses for a long time. When I started ABK camps, Andy Brandt made me wear a waist harness to fix my stance. I switched back to seat harnesses a year or two later because the waist harness caused me back pain when I sailed a lot. But by then, I had a variety of different stances that I could pick and choose from to match the conditions and objective.

Taking lessons to improve your windsurfing stance is definitely money worth spent. Maybe working on planing through jibes or learning to loop is more fun, but a good stance (or better, a variety of good stances) can eliminate or reduce lots of the pains you may feel after windsurfing a lot. Not just back pain, but also hip and knee pain. Similarly, better technique can help a lot with lower arm and tendonitis issues.

So if you're in the Boston-Cape Cod area, sign up for the ABK camp in Hyannis from September 9-11. Don't wait, thinking that there are plenty of spots left - these spots often fill up very quickly! The camp was sold out the last few years, and there were quite a few disappointed windsurfers who thought they could sign up a day or two before the camp.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windaholic wrote:
for me, it's worth the long term comfort I get from the waist harness.

And that's at least 95% of the battle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: