myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help With Mobile Computer Data Services in the Gorge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
columbia

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Mobile Data Service Gorge Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. My use of mobile data is for work - involves surfing the net checking email and a couple other relatively low volume applications - but certainly needs to be my laptop versus cell phone.

Wondering what this tethering is? Is this connecting a computer to the cell?

Thanks for all the input.
wsmike

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you can do it via bluetooth if your phone/laptop have that capability but connecting via USB cable gives much better speeds. You just set up a dial up connection on your laptop and use your phone as the modem. You either have to buy a PAM plan or hack your phone to enable it. SprintUsers.com is a great resource for lots of stuff if you want to dive into it.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjamin wrote:
ATT has only their older edge network here and does not seem to be upgrading anything around here. I suspect they will keep their edge network here as is as long as possible. Once they were the best bet in the gorge - more then five years ago.

I get five bars (better than at my home in town) and 3G on AT&T sitting on the beach out east.

Mike \m/
bjamin

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I get five bars (better than at my home in town) and 3G on AT&T sitting on the beach out east.

ATT has fine voice coverage. But the original question was concerning data services. The ATT EDGE network only provides 30-70Kbp on average and that's all you get out here. A bit too slow if you need access to VPN and/or Terminal Services. Sprint does show 3G here so I'm wondering if anyone has had success using Sprint data services at the usual sites. Also Sprint offers a deal as noted here
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=716694
- a data card for $50/mo, a bit less then the others.

You can also hack or use PDANet (windows mobile) on many smart phones to tether for "free", though I'd prefer to use an actual data card so my phone would still be functional.
bjamin

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3G on AT&T sitting on the beach out east.

Wait - just caught that. You're saying you actually get 3G on ATT at an east sailing site (Roosevelt, TMC?) even though ATT's own coverage maps don't show this as available?
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

Have you checked your actual download speeds? Or how do you know its 3G. And why would ATT not update their map if this is true (double secret marketing campaign)?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arlington AT&T tower is in plain view and we have a 51db signal, which AT&T claims gives us 3M. iWAP downloads (e.g., NOAA, iW) are instantaneous, but loading 5M of weather maps does take a minute or two, which does sound more like Edge than 3M. I've not measured the speeds, as they are what they are and I'm not trying to achieve much out there. I'll have to check that out next trip.

However, I'm on an 11M cable at home and clock only about 4M download by the "speedometer", so the BS factor is high.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked. 0.3 megs downloading, 3 Megs uploading.
Crap; I only download there.

Mike \m/
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly tether my laptop to my ATT phone in the gorge, mostly near Doug's and Lyle. I use Bluethooth for the tether, but you need to check your phone to see if it offers DUN (dial up networking) service - some wireless providers turn off DUN on their phones to prevent tethering. I am not sure on the data speed but it definitely is EDGE network (my phone reports on whether it is EDGE or 3G). It works OK but is not a solution you would want to use regularly.

If all you are doing is checking email and web stuff, just get an iPhone or a Crackberry - it is cheaper (phone internet data cost is 30/month, while laptop tethering cost is 60/month). Most of the phones can download attachments also and then you can Bluetooth the attachment to your laptop, if you need to do that sort of thing.
pablomerc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this thread has been dormant for too long - so I'll revive it.

I recently dropped my AT&T service (long story) and I'm seriously considering Sprint for my new carrier.

I know there was some discussion on this thread re Sprint in the Gorge but those posts are now ancient history.

So, does anyone have anything to say about Sprint in the Gorge say within the past six months or so? I'm most concerned with data service (tethering to my laptop) but would also be using voice.

I'm pretty sure there's no problem in the corridor but I'm really curious about quality of service at The Wall/Rufus and Roosevelt (again, recently).

FWIW, the Sprint Coverage Tool shows full-blown "Sprint Mobile Broadband Network" for Roosevelt (best service) but does not show any Sprint towers anywhere near Roosevelt (huh?).

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Gracias, Rob(erto)
wsmike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped Verizon about a year ago for Sprint and never have looked back. I have coverage at the Wall but you have to hold your mouth right sometimes, Roosevelt/Arlington is fine though.

I tether my phone to my laptop sometimes but usually just use the native Opera browser on my phone which gives me everything I need to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: