myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge in early June: what wetsuit?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPM7

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Gorge in early June: what wetsuit? Reply with quote

I'm making a trip home to OR in early June and hope to make it to the Gorge for a day of fun on the water. Since it's been years since I sailed there, can someone help me pick a wetsuit to pack for the expected air/water temps? Here's what I've got:

- NP 5/3 steamer (no zip)
- NP 3/3 convertible (short sleeve)
- 1/2 mil shorty (brrrr!!!)

Will I need my booties that time of year?

Also, who should I rent gear from? For convenience, I'll probably stick to renting right on the water (at the Event Site or Hook?). I'd love to sail the Hatch or Swell City again, but they lack on-site rentals, right? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks!
-RPM
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been barefooted and barehanded since early April, but still enjoying a full dry suit in the 50-degree water. In early June you could still need that steamer; I surely will. Fuhgheddabout the shorty.

The Event site and Hook are just a few reaches from Hatch/Swell. Rent where the gear and sail where you want to sail. The bigger problem is the wind; it can be two dams and 80 miles away from the rental locations.

How good is your pinching?

Mike \m/
wsmike

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water is still really cold due to the long winter and heavy snow fall up here, not expected to warm up too much before June. Even if it gets up to mid 50's that's no better than the coast which will make your bones ache.

I almost always wear booties in the gorge, just from experience. Too many idiots breaking bottles on rocks near the water, tin cans etc. Also there are shell shards and lots of pointy rocks so that if you're not 100% careful of how you step off your board or of how you slip and slide up the shore as you get out, its easy to sustain a foot injury that can put you out for at least a few days. Not worth the risk IMO especially for a guy on vacation who only has a few days.

The Hook is especially nasty, despite the ramp improvements they did this year. There must be a mollusk bed over there that makes razor sharp shells that specialize in slicing and dicing on tender parts, not to mention the brutal rocky escarpment from the water to the jetty.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your np 3/3.....i switch to a 3/2 shorty in mid to late june.
billgfc

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are no safety guarantees with the 3mm in early June if you are stuck in the river. The snowmelt from the mountains is just starting with still around a 125 inches of snow at 4500 ft on Mt hood, for example.

A cool day in June can bring peak air temp in mid to high 50 s with water in mid fifties, depending on weather

On warm days, maybe 3mm, but if you get separated from the rig at the wrong place with no rescue , you are pushing it

Bring the two warmer suits, safety first then FUN:)
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

water seems just average to me...last year it was cold.

this year just normal.....

http://www.fpc.org/river/tempgraphs/NETtempgraph.aspx
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early June is still pretty nippy (last year water temp was 56F through 6/15). I don't usually switch from my 5/3 fullsuit, to my 3/3 short sleeve suit until end of June. But I'm a wimp when it comes to being cold. If you add some sleeves and an undergarmet to your 3/3 shortsleeve that could work - Promotion has these. I always wear booties in the Gorge - too many rocks. The NP booties have a nice thin sole.

For rentals, BigWinds has been renting gear at the Event Site which is very convenient. You can also rent from the BigWinds or Windance shops, and take the gear wherever you want. But you have to take the gear over there yourself. They do rent those inflatable roof racks so you can schlepp the gear on your rental car.

happy sailing!
bobg
Boosty

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: dry till july Reply with quote

I recomend a DRYSUIT untill July. Idea
stuebing

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: June sailing in Gorge Reply with quote

I have a dry suite and a shorty. The transition from spring snow melt
to July 70F water temps is very rapid, so I have not bothered to get
a steamer. I usually switch in very late June.

Real Wind often has free demos (board and maybe sails) at Swell City.
Might contact Real Wind and see if they can accomodate your unwillingness to put rax on a rental car..

Carl Stuebing
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: There was at least 1 macho-man wearing a shorty at Hatch. Reply with quote

(See "Tall ship..." discussion.) But I think that was foolish. Spend any time in the water around Hood River and you would be cold.

If I were you, I would leave the steamer at home and bring the boots with the two other suits. Why risk your vacation for a cut foot? You would hate yourself for all eternity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: