myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Random Notes from the Editor
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsampiero

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Random Notes from the Editor Reply with quote

Guys, in planning next year's issues, I've been jotting down some notes. Since I'm a big-fan of open-source anything, I'm tossing 'em out there for your entertainment, perusal, comment, or ignore-this-thread-and-go-argue-about-wearing-seat-harnesses-to-guarantee
right-of-way-in-down-the-line-gorge-river-wave-sailing. Wink

Also, for slightly OT, but something I think we should all keep in mind when reading and posting on this forum: Humor is the language of intelligence. http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-04/pl_brown

Anyways, what's below is some quickly jotted down notes (pls forgive errors of type and syntax.)

WindSurfing seeks to both discover and define the culture of a sport that has become an integral part of the lives of its participants. As windsurfing and its participants mature, it becomes increasingly difficult to create a magazine that offers reader service to both new participants learning the sport and veteran readers who have seen 25 years of jibe instruction and board tests. And we don't just have to satisfy beginners and vets - we have to accomodate raceheads and waveheads, freestylers and Formula sailors.

The way to bridge that gap is by creating a magazine about windsurfing culture – seeking the common threads that bind us together as windsurfers, and finding unique ways to present that it in print. Magazines are no longer only about service – much of service has moved to the web.

FEATURES

Out with the “now”, in with the “then” -
In the era of hyper-communication, meta-reference, iPods and blogs, it’s easy to forget the value – and mass appeal - of nostalgia. In 1994, windsurfing didn’t have 30+ years of history to draw on. Evolution of gear was happening at an astronomical pace. Every other issue had the “next big thing.” 15 years later, we’ve got the gear thing down pretty good. Improvements come in increments, not leaps and bounds. So let’s stop making gear our focus. Very little of it is changing in drastic enough measures to warrant cover blurbs and feature stories. What we DO have now is nearly 4 decades of history to draw on. Windsurfers love to say, “I remember when,” let’s indulge them.

The Story of Board #8
10 Best Boards Ever

Big Picture Pieces
Readers remember pieces that make them think. The best cover blurb of all time on a surf mag had nothing to do with Tea’hupo’o, Kelly Slater, or Mavericks. It was this: IS SURFING RELIGION? Pretentious, but profound. And memorable. We don’t need to go that far...but it’s good to include pieces that attempt to place our sport in the larger zeitgeist of work, play, family, and life in general.

Would you windsurf every day for the rest of your life?
Do you spend more time working or windsurfing?

Travel Pieces
The world is smaller than ever, and good rental gear is popping up in places never before seen. As windsurfer’s kids grow up and head off to college, they’re more and more likely to hit the road. Travel pieces have always been a staple of the magazine – providing both information and inspiration.

Personality Pieces
Well done, personality pieces resonate with almost every level of reader – no matter whether the subject is a pro (Kauli Seadi) or a regular Joe (Bill Heise). Every issue should include a profile piece along one of those two lines. Often, it can be blended in with a location/style/event that the person is intricately tied to. Interestingly, articles about regular joes have seemed be a bigger hit – Bill Heise, Joe Dihl, Buffalo Bill Keitel) than the pro stuff.

Hot Shots – Gotta have ‘em. Art wants ‘em cleaner looking with less words, Edit says we gotta keep all the stats (locale, wind, sail size...) and at least 75 word anecdotes. We get so many great shots that have a great short story, but not enough to make a feature – those are hot shots.

Board Tests - Is it time for them to go entirely to the web? How about a single extra issue per year, dedicated solely to board tests?[/i]
sethfactor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: windsurfing magazine Reply with quote

Hi Josh,

I am most interested in your travel pieces. I am least interested in Eric Sanford's Cutbacks feature. It is the lamest humor I have ever read.

On the other hand, Eric has written some very entertaining and funny travelogues to faraway places that only appear on your website.

Why not have Eric be converted to a full time travel editor?

I loved the last issue on Baja.

Seth
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the stuff about gear and technique, and I'm not just saying that because I'm participating in the board test this year. I liked the tech talk before, too. I wouldn't be as interested in the magazine if it was ONLY bios and essays and travelogues.

I don't think I'm alone in that opinion. A lot of windsurfers are techy, engineering types, for whom tinkering, tuning, and upgrading gear consititute ~50% of their enjoyment of the sport. Most of the search-hits to my windsurfing-related blog have to do with gear and technique questions.

But there are more ways to do gear talk besides just rating and comparing within a group of new boards. Some things I think might be interesting, which would also combine a "personal" or "historical" angle in with the techy stuff...

A piece on tuning and tweaking a freeride or freestyle-wave board for different conditions and uses, using different fins, footstrap positions, sails, and riding styles. Maybe a real-world example with what worked, what didn't work, etc.

More new-versus-old comparisions. The tests of a certain class of new board could always include a few older reference boards to be rated alongside them. Like, for the maui board test, maybe have a classic, popular wave board from 5 and/or 10 years ago alongside the new ones. Or in the lightwind freeride board test, include an original bic techno and F2 Xantos.

Some kind of "pimp my ride" feature, following the experience of someone who gets a gear upgrade / advanced lessons. Kinda like the Baja wavesailing newbie article, but maybe with a different genre of windsurfing, like freestyle, speed, slalom, formula, or longboard racing. Something about going to the next level with gear and skills, even if it's in the same local, inland spot.

On the same "follow someone's experiences" theme, you could chronicle the adventures of someone who gets instructor training and then teaches for a month or something.

PS- I agree that Eric Sanford's regular articles are good, but "Cutbacks" is almost never funny. Not even a little bit. It's just goofy and pointless, like a clown hitting himself in the face with a pie.
morwind4me

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle here....

I'm thinking you probably know my style, but I will chime in so the collective can badger.

The Baja issue was one that I found myself reading several times just to try and imagine myself experiencing it. In my opinion, it was MONEY. I was a particularly hugo fan of the peninsula map that laid out the majority of the towns and sailing spots. This kind gives things a nice intro, and I'd like to see more of this for several regions around the country (South Texas, Hawaii, Hatteras, and any other state or region in the world). Yes, it's been done before for many of these spots, but things change and so do opinions.

I would like to see more about worldly destinations and out of the box travel. Jeri and Baja are great examples, but it leaves me wanting more of this cuz it's so damn interesting.

As always, I dig the real world content about real world sailors making every day life work in their locale. The spots they sail, their crews, all of it thrills me visually and intellectually.

I like board tests, no doubt. You guys do a nice job with this in my opinion. I always find myself trying to translate what's said about each board into my world. E.g. How things play in the waves in Maui won't be how things play in the waves on my spot, so I "guess" what Maui might be like and adjust for the non perfectness of home. I have always had a dream (not MLK dream, but...) that we would have one board that we shipped around the country, then everyone that had it wrote a review......but we know that's not practical. So someone in Hatteras has it, writes a review and sends it to Maine....and so on. This is where online forums / tests could be super handy.

Just some thoughts.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanna see more women sailing in bikinis.

More comedy wouldn't hurt either. ;*)

-Craig
jsampiero

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Kyle Rubin?

I like the ship one board around the country idea... but logistically, it would be difficult. It's been very difficult, for instance, to move the Serenity... but perhaps a 100-liter board would be better. That can be shipped for a reasonable fee.. and if 'testers' could help bear the job of packing it up and shipping it, I could find a brand willing to try that out.

(sticks idea in the idea box for next year)
jsampiero

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, next issue: LOTS of women. In bikinis and out of them. (Get your minds out of the gutter, kids, they'll still be clothed.)

Also: editorial apology to ex-girlfriend for revealing personal (but humorous) anecdotes from our break-up.
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Mag Reply with quote

I too Loved the Baja issue. Maybe because I've never gone, but thought about it endless times. It was similar to the old Gorge issues that, even if you weren't going, made for interesting perusing. Also liked the overall map.

I also think more interviews with folks important in the development of our sport would be good. I would be very interested in sessions with Randy French, Spanier, Ezzy, Robbie or even Randy Naish, Trev Bayless, JP, Goya. All outspoken with strong opinions and would make interesting reads.

Finally, yes I think Eric is funny.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mag Reply with quote

Now this might get at least 1 issue selling hard. Eric can be a very
polarizing guy. How about a poll (not to be announced until the issue comes out) and article about whether Eric Sanford is funny or not and why,
made up of submissions from the fans or anti fans. A little like the
Brian Cunningham article only broader range. Just don't tell Eric I suggested it. ;*)

-Craig

beallmd wrote:

Finally, yes I think Eric is funny.
gk109

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont ditch the board tests, I think most beginer and intermediate sailors like them. maybe advanced and expert sailors have made up their own opinions through years of sailing and dont need any advice. Im a person that bought a board pretty much soley on the reviews from the mag, and its great. thanks for the help. get rid of the spider charts though, not a big fan, and bring back the GPS I think it adds alot of weight when you say a board is fast or slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: