myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Random Notes from the Editor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braden

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instruction is a tough sell. Either I've read 20 pieces about how to jibe already, or it's something I have no intention of trying, like a loop. (Forgive me, I'm 65.)
Funny though, even though I'm almost equally unlikely to get to Jeri or Baja, I love reading about them.
And even if I'm not in the market for a board, I read the equipment tests with great interest.
Personalities yes, with a sense of place especially.
Photos yes, women yes, even with clothing.
Okay, Eric Sanford is mostly not funny but I read the endpieces anyway, with a sort of horrified fascination, like watching the guy dive 100 ft into a teaspoon of water.
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clusterchuckle!
Laughing Very Happy Cool Laughing Razz
johnl

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a detailed travel article for different areas would be nice (a couple a year). Like on on the Bay Area, Southern California, Texas, stuff like that. Those of us who have been around for a few years like to hear stuff about other areas (personally I prefer some travel details with information about the location) to kindle some desires to travel and experience other locations.

Old articles about the Gorge got me motivated to make my first trip. Now it's an annual thing. I'm sure there are others who wouldn't mind traveling outside of their area (more car travels, not just articles about exotic islands and stuff) if they had more info (and pictures) about the other locations.
3-phase

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsampiero wrote:
Is that Kyle Rubin?

I like the ship one board around the country idea... but logistically, it would be difficult. It's been very difficult, for instance, to move the Serenity... but perhaps a 100-liter board would be better. That can be shipped for a reasonable fee.. and if 'testers' could help bear the job of packing it up and shipping it, I could find a brand willing to try that out.

(sticks idea in the idea box for next year)

I would offer a board to be shipped around the USA so it can be tested in various places. When you are done on one place a friendly Windsurfer drops it off at the next place. Follow the Windsurf season........

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com Very Happy
Aranel

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to second what Johnl said. The Baja issue was cool, but I felt like I was reading an article about people windsurfing on Mars. (It kinda looked like Mars too.) These exotic locations are really interesting, but I can't see myself ever actually going there. There are some really neat places to sail around the country, like Cape Cod or Southern New Jersey in my area. I'm sure there are lots of other areas around the country which don't get the mention they should but have some pretty spectacular sailing going on.

Also, the ocean itself sometimes gets neglected. A whole part of good windsurfing is knowing the water: what about articles on reading the water, especially at a new site?

I like the gear/techy stuff, even though I'm not an engineer, but I think there are a lot of other angles to explore. Besides new gear there's a whole lot of real-world experience with gear which doesn't seem to get tapped.

-Ian
crashman

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coupla thoughts, and btw I really liked the Baja issue, even though I'll probably never go there. I like all of the travel articles, as what I read the mag for is the stoke!

If you keep the board tests, I'd like to see a couple of things including, listing the fin box, and maybe adding a little more opinion. Maybe even try non-stock fins to tell us how the board sails. Some of the freeride/freestyle wave boards would perform radically different.

Hotshots: when I was a kid in the 80's I used to tear 'em out and hang 'em up on my wall along with Surfer Mag shots. Don't do that anymore, but I don't see and kids doing that now with non-full-page ahots and all of that writing. How 'bout a full page shot with the wrining smaller and in the shot?
tm00

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to read about "local" windsurfing clubs and what they do and where they sail.
morwind4me

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsampiero wrote:
Is that Kyle Rubin?

I like the ship one board around the country idea... but logistically, it would be difficult. It's been very difficult, for instance, to move the Serenity... but perhaps a 100-liter board would be better. That can be shipped for a reasonable fee.. and if 'testers' could help bear the job of packing it up and shipping it, I could find a brand willing to try that out.

(sticks idea in the idea box for next year)

Yes, Kyle Rubin. And I kind of take back the comment about South Texas....interestingly enough there happens to be an article in this issue that showed up yesterday about it. Frickin mind reader editor vudu guy.

The board test idea is something that would be slick. Each person that has it snaps a shot with the board at their local spot, does a little review, and passes it on. What would be really cool is if we could do "personalized" hand offs rather than shipping it. How far could this board travel in a season and how many cool (new) people would we all meet by simply handing the board from one person to the next.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the personalized hand-off idea is great - we've sort of had it before - but it tends to get sticky in the execution Sad
Aranel

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to do a Serenity handoff. The summer winds (cue Frank Sinatra) are usually too light for in my neck of the woods for a small board. As a longboard fan, I'd love a chance to sail a Serenity. I'd even put it head-to-head with my Kona. As a matter of fact, I can probably round up a few longboard models for a showdown.

-Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: