myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Random Notes from the Editor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srr37

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the baja issue and and really enjoy the features on the local personalities in the areas around the world.(like Rodney in psc)
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
SNIP

EVERYTHING dOuglass said. Thanks for saving me the time of cranking it out.

Mike \m/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(thanks, Mike)

...Instead of an around-the-whole-country handoff, a board could stay at one rental shop and make "day trips". Maybe it could be like, a discounted rental if people promised to experiment with tuning it and write a report at the end. Might be interesting, might not

Last edited by d0uglass on Fri May 15, 2009 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bates

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some local pieces. Contact windsurf group organizers and have them put together shots and writings on their local spots and pick some of the winners. Focus on the local group/spot and get the whole feel of the area and some pictures that will get people in the area and reading excited about their sailing spots. I was thinking more of areas we dont hear about a great deal, but where windsurfing is alive and well.
Also, more average wavesailing spot pieces, and how-to articles. ie how best to deal with a working if you get washed out, how to stay upwind in onshore conditions wavesailing, benefits of slogging condition wavesailing, ect. just a thought.
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just chiming in on passing around a board.

I think it would be neat to see how far the thing went - hand to hand. Each user could do a little write up on the experience. Who cares about writing skills, that's your job to fix it up.

The last page would be a great spot for a photo or two and a little story.

Why not 2, one in the 100l range going one direction and one around 75 to 80l starting with us poor and foregotten in the nor'east!

RC
outcast

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fck the gear

I wanna know about the wild places.....about the people who make a life in the wind....not trust funders....the mom and pop sailmakers, the Ceasers, the Dana Millers...the people who would be happy living on the beach.
About the best sessions in the places that don't get press...granted nobody's ever takin photos then but you guys could put some words to it i'm sure

csr7

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the Gorge.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csr7 wrote:
There's always the Gorge.

Brilliant!
ascott72

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Magazine ideas Reply with quote

Board tests are always good. Keep them in the mag.

Travel is good. Places people can actually travel to although a few exotic ones are okay every once in a while. I liked the piece on Corpus Christi in the recent issue. How about something on the Canary islands? Tariffa and Greek islands ? (Where do all the Europeans sail?)

Technical pieces - board, sail, fin design. hydrofoils and other exotic designs are interesting once in a while too. old gear vs new gear comparisons.

Instruction is good- we have all seen gybing and chop hopping pieces a hundred times but you know what? they are still good to see as reminders. ( I would like to see one on how gybing technique should be modified when you are overpowered. Also step gybe vs carve gybe)

People - Designers, pro sailors, shop owners, instructors, locals. 1- 2 pages is fine unless they have something really interesting to say. It was nice to learn more about the Poor brothers last year. But here in the Gorge we also have John Chao, Brian of Brian's windsurfing, Temira Wagonfeld, Dale Cook, the new owner of Windance, etc, etc. I enjoyed the where-are-they-now piece about Madd Mike. Up and coming pro sailors. (Windsport does something like this). Lots to mine here but basically it is nice to learn about other people and how they interact with the sport.

Miscellaneous - Kiting in light winds as an option (I know kiting is touchy but a lot of windsurfers seem to be trying it); gear storage systems - how do people store all their gear and what do they do if they don't have a garage; how to repair a wetsuit; simple board repair; no more Stand Up Paddling please.

A Q&A / ask the experts page (any subject) page could be interesting. Just don't let Eric Sanford write it Smile

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by ascott72 on Mon May 25, 2009 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
coachg

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d like to say what ascott72 just said. You can’t just cater to the few, there needs to be a little for all sailors. I thought the detailed information on the Gorge & Baja were great. Keep that up and don’t just limit it to U.S. locations. Brazil/Greece/Egypt/ and any others you can think of. Even if we never get a chance to go there, it sure is nice to read about it.

As for a nostalgia piece on an older board I think that would be great. Especially if comparing it to a modern counterpart. Or even show what people are doing to modify older boards. That thread that Bob Thompson did on remaking his old Phoenix would make for a great article.

Here is a modification that Kevin Fowles did for me. Remember this board. It now has new life.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: