myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Random Notes from the Editor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airwave

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of things I would like to see.

Like the Baja edition do features on:
Southeast Coast - Hatteras to Florida or at least Hatteras.
California Coast - LA, SB, Jalama, Central Coast, SC, SF, Delta, N Coast
Caribbean - Island spots

Also, check with an old competitor that is back in business, Clay from Windtracks. The old editions that were in newspaper stock had awesome stories, some fiction, some non, that were really soulful and connected to the heart of the sport. They ended when the magazine went glossy though.

Airwave
csr7

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorge must be a great place. I always seem to keep hearing so much about it.

Here on the Oregon coast the first question usually asked by the average non-windsurfing beach walker/tourist is "Have you ever been to the Gorge?" Sometimes it's when I'm walking back after an incredible logo or mast-high side off 4.7 day with just maybe a handful of brave and dedicated souls out. I often just start laughing inside so hard even before the question is about to be realized, because I know it's coming any second now by the approacher.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every summer I can't wait to get to the Gorge... and then I can't wait to leave it for the coast. Last summer had a record 6 coast runs.

But, three summers ago.... Oceanside, 5.0, about logo high. Side off and oh-so-clean.

I remember I got into my wetsuit so fast I tore a huge hole in the ass. Threw my shorty on under it. Water was still pouring in the back, but I didn't care.

Best. Day. Ever.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ascott72 said regarding kiting- ... Maybe you could do something on why windsurfing still matters, profiling some riders who can do both sports but still windsurf heavily for various reasons. That could counteract the idea that once you pick up a kite you never go back. Why to stick with ws might include safety (include injury and death statistics?), independence, longboarding in <10 kts, waveriding style, dead onshore / offshore conditions, etc. Could also discuss other boardsports and how different people divide up their quivers among them.
btbill

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I second a nice Hatteras edition similar to what was done for Baja. Hatteras is often found in the print mags, but is usually reserved for "travel pieces" or single point photo/commentary. The closest we have ever seen to a dedicated color glossy of Hatteras was in the old Shredder Magazine "Hatteras Guide" edition many, many years ago.

The element to capture is not only the water action, but also the lifestyle found here. Its definitely unique and is an interesting story to tell. Between the various shops congregated in Avon, to the local windsurfing crew there is interesting mix of people and stories found south of Oregon Inlet Bridge. Also, we get such varying conditions that you will find images of cold, blustery days mixed with Maui-style sunshine trunks only and big wave action.

All in all, the "Hatteras experience" is a unique and telling story, especially when considering what lies beyond Canadian Hole and Island Creek. And as a little plug for the Hatteras Wave Jam, providing this "experience" for the visiting windsurfer is exactly the goal of the "safari guides" of the HWFS. Very Happy Very Happy
jp5

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fins: I'd like to see a comprehensive article about fins. If a fin can make or break a good board then I would think that it is an important part of the setup. Many of us ocean sailors need to use weed or weed/wave fins. How about a comparison of some of those, what makes them good or not so good.
rsanrafael

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

As for a nostalgia piece on an older board I think that would be great. Especially if comparing it to a modern counterpart.

Just as long as it isn't something stupid like this:
http://www.boardseekermag.com/special_features/equipment/windsurfing-board-evolution-039.html
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine ideas Reply with quote

ascott72 wrote:
Instruction is good- we have all seen gybing and chop hopping pieces a hundred times but you know? they are still good to see as reminders. ( I would like to see one on how gybing technique should be modified when you are overpowered. Also step gybe vs carve gybe)

So true. I have seen so many videos that demonstrate how to gybe in flat conditions. I even read a piece once about how to waterstart/uphaul a sinker in no wind, on flat water???? You know what I've rarely seen flat water like that in my time windsurfing.
How about showing/ sharing technique for gybing in chop, real chop? And how about discussing waterstarting a lower volume board in fluky winds in the waves where it's more likely to be a necessity/reality. I know this is advanced but the advancing need reminders and instruction as well. I just discovered this website.
http://www.roynbartholdi.com/index.htm
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some topics I'd like to see Windsurfing tackle:

- How do we keep the sport alive if all the young guns are kiting? How do we get more folks to take the first steps in becoming a windsurfer?

- Gear guides are nice, but how about some advice about how to do your own testing and build your own board quiver? What sort of spacing makes sense? How do you figure out what style of boards to get?

- Similarily with sails - how to build a good quiver? Sail spacing, types of sails for various locations and sailing styles, etc.

- Instructional pieces are good, but how about the learning process itself? What are good strategies for trying new moves? In what order should tricks be mastered? What are the prerequisites for new-school moves?

- Keep the detailed travel pieces coming!

BobG
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfjournal poll results

To the question, "When you do not windsurf, you do ..." you answered ...

Surf: 23%
SUP: 9%
Kitesurf: 4%
12% Other water sports (swimming, canoeing ...): 12%
45% Outdoor sports (climbing, mountain biking ...): 45%
7% Team sports (football, beach volleyball ...): 7%

A big thank you to the 1257 voters ...
Et en piste pour un nouveau sondage...

The poll was conducted in France...what do French windsurfers know? Can you imagine 1000 windsurfers participating in a poll in the U.S.

Last edited by cagjr21150 on Tue May 19, 2009 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: