myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Random Notes from the Editor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsampiero

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to me that surfing is the highest percentage activity...

It's also interesting to me that we can't get 1000 people to reply to our poll. And disappointing.

I read that Boardseeker article when it came out, and didn't think was that bad; why didn't you like it?

Uh, if anyone is bored today, they can check out what the wind is doing in N. Florida... now if we can just figure out what the pouring rain is gonna do so we can decide where to go..
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS- "Cutbacks" was actually OK this month, imho. For once it was a coherent satire of something (bureacracies), and it incorporated windsurfing in a cheesy but still chuckle-worthy way.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsanrafael wrote:
coachg wrote:

As for a nostalgia piece on an older board I think that would be great. Especially if comparing it to a modern counterpart.

Just as long as it isn't something stupid like this:
http://www.boardseekermag.com/special_features/equipment/windsurfing-board-evolution-039.html

I said old, not ancient. An older modern board, say no more then 10 years old.

Coachg
rsanrafael

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg,
It wasn't my intention do diss you or the idea, only the Boardseeker article. Frankly, I think they are embarrassed themselves, as you pretty much have to do a "search" to find it on their site. I'm a fan of the mag and their tests, but this has the look of something ordered by non-windsurfing upper management. "Here, take these two boards with the same name but made in different countries, in different centuries, for completely different conditions, and pretend to be surprised when the new one carries two meters more sail and the old one is more fun (in higher winds.)" Imagine the same thing in a car mag: "Whilst we really enjoyed the size, power, comfort, reliability, quality and safety of the new Mini Cooper, we were surprised to find that the original Mini was more fun on single-lane country roads."
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more - PIC's, PIC's, New Vs. Old...Eddy?

Less - Eric S. (great guy on and off the water, funny as hell just not as a writer) but then again, Debbie, Terry, Ken W. were never funny either.

Less Polls....no one likes doing them.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope you don't mean a sail-off between me and ol' Eddy P. I'd never stand a chance! Unless it was blowing like 60 and it was just to see who could stay on the water... but I'd still probably lose Smile
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what happened to Steve West who used to provide some interesting humor during the old Windtracks days.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Eddy did that new Vs. old gear and put the the wakeboard mag editors vs office girls all novices, classic. And yeah, I know eddy would smoke ya, that was a given.
RPM7

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Good wind in NW FL Reply with quote

jsampiero wrote:

Uh, if anyone is bored today, they can check out what the wind is doing in N. Florida... now if we can just figure out what the pouring rain is gonna do so we can decide where to go..

Josh,
I scored some of this great wind in Panama City yesterday. Woo-hoo!!! For my first day on the water this year (work, school, new baby, need I go on?), it was an awesome day! Sailed 5.3 and 95 liters, well powered chop hopping in the bay. Beat myself up a bit too much to go out again today, but the wind looked even better! Sorry you missed it. Maybe you'll get some residuals?

-RPM
haterrater

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
fck the gear

I wanna know about the wild places.....about the people who make a life in the wind....not trust funders....the mom and pop sailmakers, the Ceasers, the Dana Millers...the people who would be happy living on the beach.
About the best sessions in the places that don't get press...granted nobody's ever takin photos then but you guys could put some words to it i'm sure

My sentiments exactly (to an extent). I'm a gear head myself, and I'm always looking for the next great improvement in windsurfing. The 7'0 quads (eventually they'll be quads, not twinsers like Kauli's sailing right now - that's right, he's sailing twinsers now, not quads, and his "twinsers" were actually twin fins, not "twinsers") and thrusters and twin fins that I'll be sailing in 2015 ---- I can hardly wait for the technology to get here. But at the same time, the gear tests bug me to no end because they aren't asking any questions and aren't actually seeking to push the sport forward in any way, shape, or form. They don't get people to buy new gear, either, because everyone already knows the gear is going to be "stronger, faster, lighter" than the previous year's.
My idea of a gear test would be to take the most influential shapers and test prototypes or advances --- like the expedition windsurfer in the latest issue, or a quad from lucid customs, or a thruster from SSD or Witchcraft....
The only way gear tests are gonna work is if you make them more in-depth (I think at least one poster has already suggested this). Otherwise, leave them out, IMNSHO.

The general direction of the mag has been positive so far, but I think it could still be cleaner by eliminating all the trivial bs that litters the mag. My favorite mags have plenty of one-page features that sometimes combine graphs, charts, or polls, but I think the mag generally runs too many 1/2 page blurbs that lack substance and merely take up space. Tweaked, for instance, is great. So is the windustry news section, even if it is trivial in this day of interweb. But the "you know you're a windsurfer if..." columns or "seat-vs.-waist-vs.-both" pie charts just don't do it for me and really clutter my reading experience.

Lastly, as you know,
I always like reading the in-depth instruction articles. I've been stoked about the waveriding and gybe articles in the last couple of mags. More instruction, more freestyle, more technique (including stuff for longboarding/formula/slalom technique by the top pro/ams).

cheers to all
-the haterrater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: