myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Body Armor?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnlongboard

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Body Armor? Reply with quote

I was curious about what people wear in the gorge in july. Some people wear just shorts, but some heavier people wear 'rashguard' is it called? Is it to protect from sun or does it help warm? or is it to cover ones lack of gym? Where does one buy?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtually EVERY sailor -- probably >99% -- wears neoprene all summer to stay warm. I've seen sailors in full neoprene dry suits in mid July. The river peaks at 72 degrees by law, and while that temp feels very comfortable sailing on a 100-degree day, it would be chilling in a lengthy swim and will sap some energy in routine water time. I've sailed sans neoprene maybe 2 or 3 short sessions in my two decades here, when the air temp was >100 degrees and the water 72, and wore a rash guard to guard against harness/armor rash and against the sun. Uv is bad stuff; I try to avoid it even though I tan very darkly very quickly.

And rash guards don't hide any lack of gym time; they hide only the dreaded, blinding, Teflon Seattle Pallor. If anything rash guards accentuate a good body by hiding the surface flaws. They're just stretchy skin-tight shirts, and are available in any WS shop, Walmart, department store, etc.

Mike \m/ .
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail the Gorge in July in just board shorts and maybe a lycra top. At the most, a thin shorty. I just don't find myself spending that much time in the water. I fall/crash alot, but if the winds a blowin' you're out of there in seconds.

Mornings at the hatch or swell can be a little chilly, but out east, its usually baking.

Rubber suits should be shed as soon as possible, which is typically mid to late June for me in the Gorge.

The coast is another story. Dry suit for me most of the summer.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to average water temps.....

http://www.cbr.washington.edu/crt/get?Config=river&Segment=Bonneville_Dam&RiverType=tempc&Year=08

August is the warmest water. don't need a shorty that month.

typical Rash guards give no warmth and often make you cooler (white) great for Hawaii in the summer or a hot gorge day. you can buy a neoprene top w 1mm or 2mm
insh8bl

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends.
I would say the vast majority of expert sailors in the Gorge wear what’s appropriate for both a particular venue and the time of day. Typically in summer it is cooler in the corridor, when it’s blowing, and hotter out east. For example, if you hit the Hatch at 5:30am a shortie or even a 3/2 convertible might be the call. Conversely, I have never worn anything other than board shorts and a harness at near east and east sites in midsummer during the afternoon. When you think about it, that would be 70 degree water and 95 degree air, that’s 165 total. For comparison on Maui it would be about 80 degree water and 85 degree air, or 165. And how many sailors in Maui do you see wearing a full wetsuits in summer? None.
Also, if there is a chance of going to the coast, bring a 5/3 with a hood or wear a beanie. If you spend allot of time in the sun, a rash guard and sun screen is a good way to go. And perhaps most important, there is an official sail naked day in the Gorge. So, just bring everything, cuz’ what you don’t bring is what you going to need.

Very Happy
pacspeed

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would Sinbad the sailor wear?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insh8bl wrote:
how many sailors in Maui do you see wearing a full wetsuits in summer? None.

Make that One. I saw a WSer on Maui on a typical midsummer day (too hot to wear skin)wearing a full steamer. Musta been from Venus.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the summer months i don't wear a full suit diving in Hawaii.
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing else to think about: When it is really windy the wind chill can get to you and sap your energy no matter how warm the water and air. The humidity in the Gorge during the summer is quite dry compared to most places with decent windsurfing. I don't recall the numbers but I can tell you that towel hung on a car door on PCH in Malibu will not dry in an hour, but it will at the Hatchery.

This means you see people wearing at least a thin neo top on most windy days. There is also much to be said for upper body coverage when it comes to back-slapping landings and the occasional smack in the kidney when slamming into chop.

3/2 or 2/2 three quarter or shorty will rarely be too hot on the water when sailing your 4.0 all lit up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: