myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Body Armor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitrexusax

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you go with a wetsuit & helmet until you gain personal experience with the amazing conditions here. I have rescued several folks in 15 years of sailing the gorge, the scariest was the guy that was unconscious from hypothermia by the time I dragged him in. It was a 75-80 degree day when the water was 63- the wind came up fast, lost his rig and tried to paddle in a shorty. The docs said he had about another 15 minutes to go. Err on the side of safety... especially when sub 4.0 winds are in the forecast.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetiaroaxx wrote:
Ha ha! "Lack Of Gym" is gonna be the new slag this summer, kinda like "Geezer" was the last two years.

if your gonna get [uv] on your face and age there, why not let the rest of your body catch up? I don't think we should be getting melanomas, but if ones face has some contrast against a pale, supple, baby-like neck and chest, it just makes us look all the more worse ... most dudes are wearing the short sleeve 'rash guards'. ... That would leave the only plausible explanation for not going 'bare chested' being vanity.

Except that geezers can go to the gym, where I see some very buff geezers.

Thus the term, "redneck". People who hang out in the sun are begging for leathery skin, skin cancer, and/or cataracts. Hell, they may as well smoke. There's a big difference between getting some tan accidentally (which itself is evidence of skin aging) and deliberately exposing our skin to midday sun ... yet another reason I wear a visored helmet, use sunscreen on my neck, wear long sleeved rash guards, and hang out in the shade. I get too much uv without trying, and my muscles get far more comments than my tan lines. Lose some skin and hearing to uv and loud noise and your tune will change,

Mike \m/ [/b]
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
towel hung on a car door on PCH in Malibu will not dry in an hour, but it will at the Hatchery.

This means you see people wearing at least a thin neo top on most windy days. There is also much to be said for upper body coverage when it comes to back-slapping landings and the occasional smack in the kidney when slamming into chop.

3/2 or 2/2 three quarter or shorty will rarely be too hot on the water when sailing your 4.0 all lit up.

Fresh sandwich bread gets crispy before I can finish a sandwich outdoors here, even though this place is relatively humid compared to my previous home (NM).

I chuckle every time I see guys on land flapping their arms or hugging themselves to warm up after an underdressed session chills them ... while those who dressed to conserve body heat just sail and sail and sail. Food should be fuel for exercise, not wasted on keeping warm.

I don't chuckle when we pull hypothermia victims to shore in the summer. One dude got rescued from the Gorge, shivering uncontrollably after his board shorts proved insufficient after his mast broke in the late summer. He put on a shorty for the rest of his sailing. I guess the Gorge felt pretty warm to him at first, since he sails at home in the winter.

He's from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Mike \m/
dangerd

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE SUN.
I HATE WETSUITS.

If you got it, flaunt it!!!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See now, that's the opposite of my problem, I get way more comments
about my tan lines or lack there of, than I'll ever get about my muscles.

I go from a 5/3 drysuit in May, to a 4/3 Full suit in June, to a 3/2 with no
arms in July. I might get out my John in Jul/August, but it has to be a very warm day. I think I could probably count the days on both my hands
that I've sailed without rubber in the Gorge over my 17 years there.

Conversely, I have no issue sailing the 80+ degree Hawaiian water in a rash
guard and board shorts.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
I get too much uv without trying, and my muscles get far more comments than my tan lines.

Mike \m/ [/b]
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, will The Rock Star and I see you & Jim up next week, or are you going to wuss out on us?

-Craig

dangerd wrote:
I LOVE SUN.
I HATE WETSUITS.

If you got it, flaunt it!!!
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
dangerd

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my friends it is true, I do wear rubber much of the time while in the Gorge, but it is usually the kind that is ribbed for her pleasure.
We cannot all be blessed with a body like a Greek god, (or is it a goddamn Greek, I forget.)
But none the less I actually do wear a wetsuit while in the Gorge, because ouchy waa waa, you don't want to get slashed by your own fin in 40knots of 60 degree winds in 50 degree waters, while getting a sunburn.
Save the banana hammock for poolside romance.
And yes, I will be joining you and the "Rockstar" for Memo Day.
I never wuss out!!!

big-fat-diver.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.99 KB
 Viewed:  16425 Time(s)

big-fat-diver.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerd wrote:
I LOVE SUN.
I HATE WETSUITS.

And I love bacon, donuts, and spare ribs, but I don't actually EAT crap like that. I leave that to the guys in the photos above.

Mike
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference, DangerD is an accomplished marathoner,
outstanding sailor, mountain biker, skier (pin or downhill), snowboarder, surfer .......... you get the picture. On the beach he draws stares from women young an old (and a few guys too).

And I have personally watched him get up after an all night camp out bender
(which left me totally disabled), grab a mountain bike and ride for miles.

The guy is just a machine, and will probably out live me by 30 years.
maybe he'd live to be 200 if he did every thing possible to prolong his life,
but do you really wanna live forever, or do ya wanna have some joy on the way.

Back to topic, I'll be in a drysuit next week (if I can still fit in after the bacon, donuts and ribs). ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
dangerd wrote:
I LOVE SUN.
I HATE WETSUITS.

And I love bacon, donuts, and spare ribs, but I don't actually EAT crap like that. I leave that to the guys in the photos above.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: