myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Gorge - Memorial Day Weekend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: The Gorge - Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Phew... it's over! I need a beer.The Gorge truly lived up to it's windsurfing reputation this weekend. Some of the biggest waves I've ever experienced at Swell/Hatch. Hope you all got some too!
Anybody take any pics?

CUSalin'

wsmike

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was day 3 for me after sailing sat and sun, which turned out to be just a warmup for the monster monday morning madness. Good times, maybe a hundred sails or more out?
hilton08

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Sunday Dawn(ish) Patrol Reply with quote

Shorebreak at the Hatchery with no crowds.

hatch2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  315.73 KB
 Viewed:  16471 Time(s)

hatch2.jpg

andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too thought monday morning was the best session (8am-11am) big smooth rollers, got chopped up by 11-12. lots-o-blisters from the weekend.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: The Gorge - Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Yeah, Monday Morning was the best. My feet still hurt cuz I had to tighten down my straps so much to stay in them! It's O.K., though cuz it keeps reminding me of how good it was.

Thanks for the pic Hilton. Nice one!

CUSalin

isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys caught it; it looks great. The Corridor is usually a zoo on 3-day weekends, and every other forecast agency disputed iW's (Ben Miller) ultimately accurate forecast, so many of us didn't make the drive. The long-range forecast -- BUPKUS! -- compounds the angst.

MY BAD!

But forecasts come and go, and as Temira says, Gorge forecasting is about as tough as it gets. The REAL surprise was the crowds; WHERE ARE THEY? With adjacent 3-day weekends for the two adjacent nations, the latter half of May is usually an absolute zoo, but not this year. I'd guess crowds are down by way more than half. If I had known there would be any parking left past 7:00 AM -- and if I had believed there would really be a dawn patrol after several years with very few of them -- I'da burned some dead dinosaurs.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Mike \m/
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Crowds? Reply with quote

Yeah, not very crowded in Corridor morning or for East afternoon sessions over the weekend. "Recession" was my guess, but a friend who owns a restaurant in H.R. said he was packed all W.E.

Go figure. Maybe all the Windsurfers are just getting old (like me) and opting for wine tours with views of The River rather than getting the sh*t pounded out of them by the chop! Ha!

No complaints here though.

andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this weekend is never busy like the 4rth of July....to me it was more busy than usual. Many people still think the water is cold and still do not sail yet. Best Memorial weekend in the corridor I can remember.

Oh and Iso Even the PDX TV satiations, newspaper and Temeria said it would be windy this last weekend... Shocked
jota

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Crowds? Reply with quote

CUSalin wrote:
"Recession" was my guess, but a friend who owns a restaurant in H.R. said he was packed all W.E.

Go figure. Maybe all the Windsurfers are just getting old (like me) and opting for wine tours

One word: kiting!
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Crowds? Reply with quote

jota wrote:
CUSalin wrote:
"Recession" was my guess, but a friend who owns a restaurant in H.R. said he was packed all W.E.

Go figure. Maybe all the Windsurfers are just getting old (like me) and opting for wine tours

One word: kiting!

One word: Awesome!!! More swell and space for WS on 3.7 days. The HR bridge attendees were saying the Kiters were complaining it was too windy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: