myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best wavesailing near DC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robs

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Best wavesailing near DC? Reply with quote

I've recently arrived in Washington DC from the UK and am hoping to get some windsurfing in, but have struggled to find much about it on the web so have not yet brought my kit with me. Although mountain biking is proving to be a good surrogate, the wind today has reminded me of what I'm missing.

Can anyone advise me on the best place to get some good wave sailing? I am a competent wave sailor so am looking for something challenging. Hatteras looks good but it's a long trip - is there anywhere closer that will work in the next few months, or are there other people who drive down to Hatteras from here at weekends? Also does anybody know if it's possible to rent gear there or will this be restricted to flat water only?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
outcast

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i lived in maryland for a number of years...near Andrews AFB
you can get good B&J on the bay
Best is Point Lookout (occasionally , and in NW) or Kent Island

Ocean City goes off rarely, see the Live to Ride blog.

BUT>>>>>when i lived there, I got real good at Hatteras runs....
Forecasting easy, and 6-7 hours....Leave Fri nite, crash in Pamlico.
Sail Sat and Sun, back Sun nite....if you want waves.

Actually played the coast, and sometimes hit southern NJ too.

robs

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - sounds like it's worth the trip to Hatteras if it looks like being a windy weekend. Do I need to hook up with someone with a 4WD or are the breaks mostly accessible by car?

Any idea what Dewey Beach is like? Someone recommended it to me as a nearer alternative.
iwillfindyou2112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the wind is N/NNW Chicks Beach in Virginia Beach goes off. Most great days are in the fall. In the summer the only waves are in Hatteras. When a hurricane is in the Carribean prepare to ditch work and sail. Hurricanes make waves everywhere.
btbill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few who do make weekend runs from DC to Hatteras when its forecast to be good! I used to do it when I lived up there (1997-2001), nearly every weekend! Its exactly 4.5 hrs from the Mixing Bowl where 95 intersects 495 down to the Wright Memorial (Kitty Hawk) Bridge onto the islands. From KH, its another hour to Avon, however, once you cross the bridge onto the islands, you "feel" you are here!

I used to leave DC around 2:00am on Sat morning and arrive on the OBX around 7:00am and after a quick beach nap, ready to sail by 10:00am. Heading home, it was Sunday night after 8:00pm, and back in the DC metro area by midnight, ready for work on Monday. Every time for me, an excellent weekend getaway from the DC grind!

If you are an accomplished wavesailor and are looking for prime conditions, the Hatteras run is definitely the best option! Very Happy Very Happy

Be sure to check out:
www.lostinhatteras.com
www.obxbeachlife.com
for the latest Hatteras windsurfing scoop including reports and lifestyle!

If you come down a lot, and get to know/befriend the local crew, there is usually a yard or someplace for an overnight crash pad.

Also if you need to rent wave gear, most of the windsurfing shops remain open though the summer months.

PS: keep an eye out for a Bermuda High setup which usually hit during June and often July. Also, Andy has an email alert for weekend/day trippers!

Last edited by btbill on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had much luck with Dewey beach area.... seemed hard to get wind for ocean sailing there.
Lewes a few times in North wind.

You don't need four wheel drive in hatteras for wavesailing.
Plenty access without 4WD although there are some classic breaks that
involve sand travel
One time i just grabbed my gear and started walking to cape point
(it's like a mile Rolling Eyes ) BD picked me up....i still owe 4 that

this was all like a million years ago, so i'm sure with global warming, things are different now Smile

FunHog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Wave sailing near DC Reply with quote

For genuine wavesailing OBX is the spot ... weekends from DC for sure.

Something closer for day trips try Assateague Island, Maryland. 2-2.5hrs from DC I guess. Best resource is http://www.live2sail.blogspot.com/ George hits Assateague a lot, sand bars set up a wave there and summer time can produce nice thermals if our Bermuda High weather pattern sets in. He's got some photos to show-off the spot.

Further North, Lewes to Fenwick Island, Delaware is my haunt, a stretch to call it wavesailing, 1.5hrs for me from Wilmington, probably ~2 hrs from DC. We don't have reefs or sandbars to set up a wave so its shore break and swell riding mostly, there are some spots to check though in the summer time. Gordon's Pond State Park north of Rehoboth has some jetties that can make a short wave, popular surfing spot. SE to S winds work here. Moving south is Key Box Rd. just south of Dewey Beach. There are some sand bars just north of the walk over the dunes from this Delaware State Park lot that may have a wave, mostly playing in the swell outside though. Popular spot for local k-boarders/w-surfers for SE to S summer thermals. Heading south is Northside Indian River Inlet, jetty for the Inlet makes a point type wave, busy with surfers and a bit tough to get to the beach with construction for the new Inlet bridge. Fenwick Island State Park use to have a wave until they did a beach reclaimation project that ruined the sand bars ... no more wave ! That use to be my favorite spot in Delaware anyway.

OC is all lifeguarded in the summer, not sure of access, the local k-boarders do down-winders through there a lot, they may help with access info.

All the DE. spots are a short huck over the dunes from state parks, if you go a bunch buy a season pass to save $$. You can get 4wd access from Key Box soth to the Inlet, but "active" surf fishing is required along with a surf truck beach pass ($100 ??? ).

Hope this helps some for planning day trips (Wednesday may look good).

robs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice.

Just checked out some of the videos and it looks great. Very Happy
Can't wait to get down to Hatteras (next few weekends are best before my wife arrives out here!). If anyone's driving down from DC area and wants to share driving/gas, let me know.

Will try out somewhere closer for day trips when my board gets here in July.Crying or Very sad

Thanks again,
Rob
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob,

Feel free to shoot me a note if you want to get on that email list. Knowing when it's going to go off can help make your trips a bit more successful. I don't have a crystal ball or anything, but I can usually come pretty close when it comes to predicting wave size and where to catch it the best.

To answer your original question, we do rent gear that you can take in the ocean, but taking care of the gear is your responsibility... That said, most of our rental masts are RDMs, and I've got some sweet Tabou Pockets in demo...

This approaching weekend doesn't look epic yet, but Friday and Sunday afternoon could be fun... keep your eye on it!

Welcome to the East Coast! Start stretching, and practice holding your breath, 'cause Hurricane Season began yesterday! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: