myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind Recession for The Gorge?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Satellite image of the wind blocker. Reply with quote

If you are wondering why the Gorge winds have been so light recently take a look at the May 30th satellite view of the main culprit below. I have added arrows to help you visualize the counter-clockwise spinning winds of what meteorologist call a Cut-Off Low.

Normally low pressure systems are carried towards the west coast by upper level winds and promptly exit to the east. But Cut-Off Lows like this one have lost their connection with the west to east blowing upper level winds. So they just wobble around in the pacific like this one has for many days. Unfortunately this Cut-Off Low is positioned so that it has been keeping the North Pacific High about 1000 miles west of the coast for many days. As you know having the North Pacific High off our coast is one of the essential components for making Gorge summer winds.

Currently this Cut-Off Low is slowly crashing into the far northern California coast and is harder to discern in the satellite imagery. But looking out your window you can see some of the clouds from the low.

Unfortunately it looks like the remains of the Cut-Off Low will not clear the Gorge until this weekend. Once it departs the North Pacific High slowly begins to redeploy near the west coast and the winds ramp up.

Since Cut-Off Lows are cut off from the jet-stream the numerical models do a poor job of forecasting their fate. Hence Cut-Off Lows are useful in providing meteorologists a convenient explanation for bad forecasts.

If you go the the California weather blog page,

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=163&genID=230

and and scroll down there is more imagery showing this Cut-Off Low.

Have fun,
Mike Godsey
mike@iwindsurf.com[/url]

cutoffOffca.jpg
 Description:
The Cut-Off Low as seen May 30th. Today, June 2nd it is crashing into the coast near the Ca./Or. border.
 Filesize:  46.6 KB
 Viewed:  12477 Time(s)

cutoffOffca.jpg

rowenaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:
There's kiting too. I got serious grief for starting to snowboard many years ago and I'll get grief here for the kiting suggestion. But hey - it's all good fun, and they all have pros and cons.

I had a great time kiting four days last week when the windsurfing was boring if even possible at all. 6.0? Sorry, rather kite. (Or mountain bike Post Canyon, road ride Rowena Crest, or ski Adams.) Oh, and we'll have a boat full of kids wakeboarding and tubing this afternoon.

Each to his own. Attitude is Everything. I'll be back at the hatch the next 4.2 (or better) day.

NO grief pitched your way from this long time windsurfer!

I totally dig my new learning curve kiteboarding (since last July) and still love to get out windsurfing on BIG days --- awesome Memorial Day weekend at The Hatch! And I still have my ol Bic Electric Rock under the house that I drag out for the rare slalom sess.

Really, we all share a love for wind and both the CGWA and the CGKA are working to protect access. I don't see it as an either/or thing - I do see that keeping the Columbia River clean (as possible) and protecting our limited access as mutual goals we can all agree on!

Add mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, skiing, and paragliding....tons of great choices for those of us fortunate enough to live close to this amazing place!

Last edited by rowenaman on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good explaination Mike. Nice pics too!

Signed,

Fellow Weather Geek

jimoakes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind recession? It's a crisis ,nearly a depression.

It all started when sailors bought boards ,slapped on a little ding stick and paint and "flipped" them for 50% more than they paid!

The worst was when Mistral, Starboard,JP and Cobra all conspired and offered no money down deals to all the homeless sailors. Deals like that had van living sailors rolling in big bucks for awhile.

I don't know when it's going to turn around. I see no end in sight. If it doesn't blow soon it could effect Gorge real estate prices . Who would want to live in this desolate ugly and now WINDLESS area?
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I've often heard tourismos walking through town saying that Hood River would be a pretty nice place if it weren't so darn windy! Smile
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best I can tell, you guys have been getting some nice weather through this wind drought. Be happy for that.

Here in San Francisco, the lack of wind has been complimented by the fact that we hadn't seen the sun in weeks due to persistent fog.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We EXPECT great weather in the spring, but the dearth of wind, although common this time of odd-numbered years (no kidding, according to a bud's WS log), is irritating.

Mike \m/
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to write my congressman... it's supposed to windy around here dammit and I just re-fied my house on an adjustable rate mortgage I can't afford to buy a new van, new sail quiver, and two new boards.

What the H - E - double toothpicks does wind have to do with "leadership," and "attitude?" Ha!

billgfc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah you beach sit alot when your biggest sail is a 4.5

get the right equipment and sail almost daily.

the best sailors in the Gorge do as do those who truly love the sport from beginner to pro:)

it s about being on the water from breeze to high winds

That s core and always will be

Kent_piling.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.93 KB
 Viewed:  11459 Time(s)

Kent_piling.jpg

CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Dude(s), I totally agree... but... but....

IT'S NOT WIIIIINDEEEEEEE!

Doug's Beach * 1 WSW (0-4) Last 7 Next 7 6:00 PM
Event Site * 1 W (1-3) Last 7 Next 7 6:06 PM
Rowena * 1 WNW (0-3)

I'm still going to write my congressman, he's one of the last Republican hold outs and I think he's just pissed at Hood River for voting Obama. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: