myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Another Petition to sign re keeping CA State Parks open
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the posts on this site demonstrate with real clarity the importance of spending more money in California on education! Fundamental concepts of statistics seem to be beyond the comprehension of folks who are arguing that businesses and people are fleeing California in droves. They somehow conflate the observation of a friend—an anecdote—to group behavior. Not entirely surprising, as California now ranks 46th in national spending per pupil (http://www.vcpusd.net/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/29431/File/CA%20Funding%20Chart.pdf?sessionid=943f6119fb3d09581a1475d30d29b019), and will drop to 48th if the proposed cuts are made. With California’s K-12 spending at $36 billion, and higher education at $10.4 billion, that is 44% of the State’s estimated expenditures.

Now let’s look at what is happening. As of January 1, 2009, California had gained about 400,000 residents in 2008, roughly the same as 2007. The average population gain from 2000 through 2009 was 491,000 people per year. (http://www.dof.ca.gov/research/demographic/reports/estimates/e-4/2001-09/) Turning to jobs, and why they leave California, the Public Policy Research Institute indicated that the job relocation in California is 11,000 jobs/year out of more than 18 million, or 0.6% (http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/rb/RB_1107JKRB.pdf)

That doesn’t mean that everything is rosy in California; the economy has crashed and recovery will be slower in California than in much of the rest of the country. But it does mean that the fundamental tenet of the Republican Party, here and in much of the rest of the country, is wrong. Businesses are not fleeing California because of the high tax burden. If you can’t understand the problem, it is not surprising that you can’t find solutions.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mac for clearing the air. I hope that some folks here that sit on the opposite of the fence get the picture.

By the way, there is the latest letter being promoted by the California State Parks Foundation that focuses on the $15 Vehicle Registration Fee increase. Please take the time to support this important issue.

http://ga3.org/campaign/budget_spap09
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently Michelle Obama went to serve food to the homeless at a government funded soup kitchen.

Cost of a bowl of soup at homeless shelter: $0.00 dollars
Having Michelle Obama Serve you your soup: $0.00 dollars
Snapping a picture of a homeless person who is receiving government funded meal while taking a picture of the first lady using his $500 Black Berry cell phone: Priceless

obama.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.41 KB
 Viewed:  10118 Time(s)

obama.jpg

mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have them starve, or eat cake? stevenbard, I didn't even know you were a queen!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
You would have them starve, or eat cake? I didn't even know you were a queen!

And you a princess?

60% of all Americans receive more from the government than they pay. If you go to public housing projects you'll find bmw's, plasma tv's, cell phones, and more bling than in Beverly Hills. Non public housing working hispanics don't have any of that foolishness. The working poor children wear nice clothes and excel in school. They don't have tv's or cell phones, but they have bright futures, because they have work ethic. If you are willing to produce, you will eventually prevail.

ps This kind of foolishness in cali ended in 66% of people rejecting more taxes. There are so many non producers in government today, it's rediculous. They make 150% more than the private sector equivalent jobs.
nealpar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

I THINK THAT BEFORE ONE LAUNCHES INTO LECTURING OTHERS ABOUT WORK ETHIC AND WORKING HARD, ONE SHOULD KNOW WHAT THAT TERM MEANS.

A WINDSURFER WHO SEEMS TO MAGICALLY CATCH EVERY SINGLE WINDY DAY OUT THERE, AND BE A SELF PROCLAIMED KAMA'AINA DESPITE LIVING ON THE MAINLAND, IS NOT QUALIFIED TO DISPERSE HIS GEMS OF WISDOM ABOUT WHO DESERVES WHAT BASED ON HOW HARD THEY WORK.

[/b]
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard--I work with kids in poverty. You know absolutely nothing about it. Nothing.
windriderz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
60% of all Americans receive more from the government than they pay.

Reference Please.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
SNIP
60% of all Americans receive more from the government than they pay. SNIP

How are you measuring this? State and Federal "non-earned" income (this would not include veteran's benefits and SSI, needless to say) versus the aggregate of all taxes, tolls and fees paid. Obviously, this does not count benefits from being part of the larger society, like using a no-fee road or a free bus transfer between train stations or people who pay less in property taxes but who also have more kids in the public school system.

Turning your point around, would you be happy if 60% pay equal or more to governmental entities than what they receive? You can't have it both ways.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a proud Californian who hasn't sailed in over a month.

I'VE BEEN TOO BUSY WORKING TO PAY MY TAXES. Rolling Eyes

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/22313.html

Mac: With regard to kids in poverty, the vast majority have drug/alcohol using parents who didn't finish school. My family was very poor until I reached high school. My wife and her 10 brothers and sisters all came to America without the ability to speak english. They were dirt poor, but all worked their way through colleges WITHOUT 1 CENT OF GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE. They are all wealthy now.

Envy is a dangerous thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 18 of 21

Jump to: