myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone sail friday out east 6-5?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Anyone sail friday out east 6-5? Reply with quote

Anyone sail friday out east, i know it was really windy but was it gusty? I was already rigged in the morning and sailed swell all day on a 4.5 surprisingly not really gusty like saturday morning. sailed till 5pm....
westender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We left Swell Fri. @ about 4:30. You call that Not Gusty? Rolling Eyes I had a good time but saw others who didn't.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was frontal and not as gusty as thermals....no glass on the water. thought for where the cloud line was (overhead) it would have been way worse. Now saturday morning at swell that was gusty 3.5 to 6.0. had to get to PDX by noon, no out east for me Sad
sissybar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: sailed rufus friday and saturday Reply with quote

the current is moving. big rollers to help push you up river. friday was quiet with few sailors and few kites -- 4.1m and fairly steady.

saturday 3.6m, maybe more current, more kites taking up lots of space & losing their boards, sometimes blowing mist, big rollers to help you surf up river, very poor showing from windsurf camp. (3 sailors, dare i say it)
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On sat. I was driving back to PDX from 12-1 saw Lots-O WS, they must have stopped at Event site/ Rowena/ Dougs or Celilo. Back in the day people would have gone to Bingen or Mosier.
windsurf64

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Doug's windy on Friday Reply with quote

I sailed Doug's from 2-6pm on Friday. Started out on 4.1 but sailed that only for an hour before switching to 3.6. Even the 3.6 was too big at times.
Arlington was the place to be yesterday. I missed it, but gained a great climb of Mt Hood with a ski from the summit...so all good Very Happy .
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roosevelt/Arlington was windy as hell for about 30 hours non-stop from mid-PM Fri through Dark P.M. Saturday.

Saturday blew 4.0 to 2.8 from breakfast to after 9 PM, with huge rollers interspersed among lots of chop produced by incessant pounding gusts (this was purely marine push, not the steady stuff of thermal origin). One session was full-on 2.8/2.5 (38 mph average with much higher gusts), but since I don't have a 2.8, I took a break then; my 3.2 was dangerously overpowered and I had been sailing and rigging down (5.2,4.7,4.2,3.7, and finally 3.2) and re-fueling since before 7 AM. The winds steadied out at 3.2 from before sunset 'til 9 PM. The crowd far topped anything previous this year. It was classic by corridor standards.

Friday was MUCH better, from about 4 PM until it got too dark to see anymore.

Mike \m/
30knotwind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threemile Canyon was 4.6-4.0 from Friday afternoon to Saturday night. If you had running lights, you could have sailed all night too cause the wind didn't stop for 36 hours. It was very consistent, no gusts huge, long, rollers you could surf until your back leg fell off, then jibe to the other side and hammer that leg. Absolutely perfect 12-hour sesh on Sat. A couple kiters, but mostly the regular Spokane, Boise, Tri-city sailors.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30knotwind wrote:
very consistent, no gusts ...

huge, long, rollers you could surf until your back leg fell off

HERESY! Total BS! Every CA coast sailor "knows" the river doesn't provide sailing like that. You're lying through your teeth, mofo. Next you'll be telling us you actually linked turns off the lips with turns in the troughs for hundreds of feet, which every CA sailor knows can't be done in Da Ditch because it's not sideshore or salty or in California. You did not have any fun, dude, so stop dreaming and get real. Everbuddy knows the whole Columbia is just like the freaking Hatchery. Wink

I do envy the steady winds you apparently got Saturday. Roosevelt was very steady and stronger than 3-Mile on Friday, but was very gusty on Saturday, producing excess chop even when the swell did ramp up. Several regulars sat it out and/or drove away after getting pounded by chop and gusts on Sat.

Mike \m/
30knotwind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
As long as they stay in Cali, and off my wave, they can 'know' whatever they want.
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: