myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing Lake Wenatchee?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windizio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Sailing Lake Wenatchee? Reply with quote

Hey, I'll be spending some time in Leavenworth this summer, has anyone sailed Lake Wenatchee? What are the winds like?
I'll be there around mid-June to mid-july.

Thanks
W
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with Wenatchee, but Vantage, to the SE, may blow harder and more often than the Hatchery that time of the year. Its wind is an evening thing, convenient after work, but it's choppy as hell that part of the year (prevailing NW winds).

Mike \m/
chadly41

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boeing Windsurf Club has a good description about Lake Wenatchee www.boeingwindclub.org I want to go down from B.C. and sail myself. If you do a Google search there are alot of windcams on Wenatchee as well.
motherofjehu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to waterstart and jibe on Lake Wenatchee and spent 4 summers there almost every weekend in the early 90's. Besides being spectacularly pretty, it seems to have similar weather patterns to those in the Gorge, and can have some epic days. It is mostly storm wind, not thermals. We used to sail at University Beach (if it's still open) or would sometimes do down-winders from the top of the lake to the state park. It can be gusty with big swells and the water is often chilly until July. There is often a big mosquito problem in June, but July through September it's over.The reason we stopped going there and got a place here was that the crowds became ridiculous and finding a camping spot impossible. So if you can drive easily to get there and don't need to camp, it might be ideal.
aeolsson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Hood River but have a cabin on the south shore of Lake Wenatchee. The sailing on the lake can be great. Small rollers on the east end, if it's super windy it can get some steep chop for good jumping. Best swell seems to be over by the YMCA camp. Nothing compared to gorge standards, but it can be equally windy. Same setup as the gorge, cloudy and cold on the west side and hot in Leavenworth and you can count on some strong wind. no crowds and epic scenery make it a great sailing experience. If you have a 120 liter board and a 6.0 you could sail most days, but you'll definitely need your gorge quiver to catch the great days. Have fun and maybe see you on the water!
seattle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to lake wenatchee in a few years, but I remember it being windy in the spring. Water is definitely cold, so cold that I was afraid to try anything new for fear of falling in ( I met a sailor who claims it warms up during summer, but I think a full wetsuit is always necessary). I can remember lots of times sitting around reading a book waiting for the wind, which didn't show up until mid afternoon and maybe then only for a couple of hours (oh, how I wish I still had the time to wait around for the wind...).

Anyway, can concur that the scenery is nice, water seems very clean. For my time and trouble it's worth the extra hour driving to come to the gorge (more places to find wind, shops in case something breaks, etc.), but I really enjoyed lake Wenatchee and if I were in leavenworth it would probably be my main venue.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel to Lake Wenatchee from Spokane because it is closer than the east Gorge, 3+ hours, and gets wind more often than Roosevelt/3-mile. Based on my observations on Iwindsurf, the sailable frequency seems to be similar to Doug's Beach, although not as high on the big days.

Thus, if you are living in Leavenworth, Lake Wenatchee is definately the place to sail and you should get at least 3-4 days of 18-22 mph each week. I watch the forecast for Monroe and Leavenworth: generally, if there is a 10 degree difference it blows unless it gets too hot on the east side and the temp gets over 83-ish.

You can Launch from University beach, just north of the YMCA on North Shore Dr.--it is a trail just before the first house on the road as you head north; or, you can launch from Glacier campground on the upper South Shore Dr.--drive all the way to the end of Ceder Brea Road, including the dirt road. University Beach has roller 'cause its downwind; Glacier is flat and a little more gusty with views that are off the charts of Glacier peak and the surrounding mountains. Watch out for debris from river run-off, especially at Glacier in the early summer.

Also, most people don't know this but you can also launch from any of the homes that are leased by the Forest Service, there is a secton on the South Shore and the North Shore. It is all public land and the home 'owners' lease the home, not the land. There are some great launches that no one uses in the middle of the lake. Most of the homes do not get used in the summer so you can use their driveways. In fact, even if they are home you can use their driveway, they may protest, but its definately public land. They get those waterfront homes for peanuts, at taxpayers expense, so don't feel bad about 'disturbing' them.

Additionally, all the shorline below high water is public land. Many streets end at the water, and those are designated as public acces. There are no markers 'cause the landowners don't want to encourage it, but we have to use these accesses to avoid losing them--landowners set up tables and sometimes build on them to 'create' possession.

The lake is very deep and all the water comes from snowmelt off Glacier Peak, etc. Thus, it is very cold. Forget your shortie, I use a 5/3 steamer and booties until August, then you can go barefoot.

Have fun in Leavenworth!

Last edited by 30knotwind on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For live wind speeds, just do a search on iWindsurf (beta) for "Lake Wenatchee, WA".

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?search=lake+wenatchee%2C+wa

And here's the current wind graph from the iWindsurf sensor:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=1681&location_id=1230

attached: screen grab that has the last 4 days' wind graphs.

Picture 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  305.64 KB
 Viewed:  20901 Time(s)

Picture 1.png

ddesler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Lake Wenatchee Sailing Reply with quote

The wind is great as long as there is a low marine layer in Seattle and the cross mountain gradient is at least 4 mb....wear a semi dry suit. Early June sailing is usually gusty...last Saturday 15 - G40...enjoy

dr wind
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: