myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is the wind dying?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
isobars wrote:
Waaa <snip> waaaaaa, waaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Mike \m/

shoundn't you be sailing? it's blowing out east in the evenings.....I like the early morning corridor better, can't wait around all day for wind.

yup, I agree!!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
shoundn't you be sailing? it's blowing out east in the evenings.....I like the early morning corridor better, can't wait around all day for wind.

“Blowing out east in the evenings”? An hour near dusk of a 6.2 windline 500-800 meters offshore doesn’t cut it for me. My buds have driven and lost that gamble a few evenings lately, but it looks like they finally beat the forecast tonight and got a couple of hours on 6.x and 5.x sails; can’t tell from the data how far offshore the windline is; they were still pounding sand until after 6 PM.

My alarm went off at 2:00 AM today to head for the Hatch, but when I got up and saw the updated forecasts, I went back to bed and reset the alarm for 5. Then as the new forecasts, gradients, wind graphs, Hatchcams, and Temira’s ripslog comment all unfurled and began to favor the east, I just kept my vehicle pointed west and watched the computer all day. (I wouldn’t drive 10 miles to sail Corridor ripslog.)

Tuesday’s AM forecasts are weak, sounding a lot like today: wait and see. Whether Wednesday will be a 2 AM alarm or a 4 AM alarm depends on the marine push timing.

I take this $#!+ seriously, but I’ve also gotten tired of crapshoots, especially when the odds favor the house.

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
andymc4610 wrote:

“Blowing out east in the evenings”? An hour near dusk of a 6.2 windline 500-800 meters offshore doesn’t cut it for me. My buds have driven and lost that gamble a few evenings lately, but it looks like they finally beat the forecast tonight and got a couple of hours on 6.x and 5.x sails; can’t tell from the data how far offshore the windline is; they were still pounding sand until after 6 PM.

My alarm went off at 2:00 AM today to head for the Hatch, but when I got up and saw the updated forecasts, I went back to bed and reset the alarm for 5. Then as the new forecasts, gradients, wind graphs, Hatchcams, and Temira’s ripslog comment all unfurled and began to favor the east, I just kept my vehicle pointed west and watched the computer all day. (I wouldn’t drive 10 miles to sail Corridor ripslog.)

Tuesday’s AM forecasts are weak, sounding a lot like today: wait and see. Whether Wednesday will be a 2 AM alarm or a 4 AM alarm depends on the marine push timing.

I take this $#!+ seriously, but I’ve also gotten tired of crapshoots, especially when the odds favor the house.

Mike \m/

it's blown 4.7ish every day for a week in the corridor and should all this week.

maryhill.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.65 KB
 Viewed:  10262 Time(s)

maryhill.gif

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
it's blown 4.7ish every day for a week in the corridor and should all this week.

The iW Swell City data flat out denies that except for Sunday and today, which looked pretty iffy much of the time on Hatchcam, the sensors, and the onsite reports. Someone needs to confirm the sensor malfunctions and report them to iW. I don't have the luxury of looking out of the window at any sailing spots. My only window is the one I'm looking at right now. And I don't count forecasts as windy days until they hatch.

Your Maryhill graph shows a day of gusty 7.5 wind with a very brief kick in the evening ... straight out of the north the whole day.
No, thanks.

As for my buds' good luck this evening ... it just ended prematurely, so if I had driven, I would wasted my dead dinosaurs.

Mike \m/

Last edited by isobars on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest to gooooooodness, I can't believe ANYONE is missing out on this great stuff. Every day.... 4.7. 4.7, 4.7, 4.7 at the Hatch. Not the greatest swell of all time, but it's good enough....... all-you-can-eat.... go-get-it-sesh !! Gesh, every forecast here is spot-on... couldn't ask for any better. What's with the waaaaaaa, waaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed 4.7 at The Hackery, Friday and Saturday, then 4.7 on Sunday
and Monday (today) at Doug's, for more than a couple of hours.
It was up and down all those days, but this is the Gorge so I expect that.
I'm weighing in at a porky 185 these days.

-Craig

p.s. I'll be riding a 4.7 tomorrow as well.

isobars wrote:
andymc4610 wrote:

The iW Swell City data flat out denies that except for Sunday and today, which looked pretty iffy much of the time on Hatchcam, the sensors, and the onsite reports. Someone needs to confirm the sensor malfunctions and report them to iW. I don't have the luxury of looking out of the window at any sailing spots. My only window is the one I'm looking at right now.

Your Maryhill graph shows a day of gusty 7.5 wind with a very brief kick in the evening ... straight out of the north the whole day.
No, thanks.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
It was up and down...

p.s. I'll be riding a 4.7 tomorrow as well.

Up and down is OK with me: ripslog, a la The Wall in NW winds, is not. 10 or 30 approximates a 10:1 power change, sometimes a few times per minute; I'll pass. And 20 mph is 6.2, not 4.7, for me, maybe 5.7 at the Hatchery; is the sensor that far off this year?

You have more faith in isolated forecasts than I do. Even when the forecasts agree, I almost never know whether, let alone what, I can sail "tomorrow". When some forecasts are for zip/squat, I don't drive 'til I see the whites of its eyes, a gradient, and proof that it's not a fluke caused by a passing squall. But look at Tuesday's forecast from iW's vaunted math model at 6AM: very light east winds at the Hatchery. Ain't no way I'm getting up in the middle of the night and driving 300 miles round trip for that, nor pre-rigging a 4.7. Besides, the only sailable wind it's forecasting for today/Tuesday is at Arlington/Roosevelt, for one hour, near dusk.

Being able to catch brief sessions is a big advantage of living/hanging out in the corridor; you guys enjoy it. As I've said ... now that I live near the Gorge, I sail less than when I lived 1,300 miles away and played VanMan all summer. When I have more confidence AND it's not going to make it out east AND it's more reliable AND it's not a summer weekend, I'll be there.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say Mike, I've been very well dialed on my old 4.7 ('95 NW Trilite).... 78 liter OO for the last 5 days and I weigh in at a hefty 182 right now. Been sailing straight through the few down times with same 4.7, honest to goodness, almost no slogging at all.

Maybe you could explain a very great mystery for me here. Why is it that the big selling point on new sails is the great RANGE new sails have over older sails? I'm out there for hours and hours and hours with the same old 4.7 sail made in 1995 (probably has more miles on it than any sail on the planet) having a blast, doing everything I want to do, while many folks are struggling to just keep control in gusts / keep from slogging in the lulls..... re-rigging all day long.... and they've got all the new "rangy" stuff.

WMP
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it has been windier than it looks the swell has been smaller this week. you can't trust any sensor, quite often there is a shadow onshore and the real windline is a 100 yards out.

And I think it's funny that people need to look at the cam, I stay out of it's evil view (swell) keeps the crowds down. Even the bluff report, i hide.....LOL
billgfc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to sail whenever there is a breeze in the Gorge is sails from below 4.0 to 7.6 or so. Boards should be 110 to 150 at largest depending on weight, with fins from 40 to 52 or so (not the stock curvy freeride junk fin that comes with the board)l With 8.5 and 130 to 150 get better ripping if it is light and gusty with lower planing threshold

You can go to 10 or 11 and wider go/formula boards to plane almost always even in lulls of 4 to 5 if there is a 7 to 9 puff

The elite Freestyle sailors and others like Dale Cook and Bruce Peterson are out always. If there is wind they go,

That is a great example to follow whether you are beginner or want to get more out of the sport. If you are hard core , its always more fun to sail in all conditions that sit on the beach or forum post:)

PLus

this sport is really inexpensive when compared to jet skis, sailboats, and motorboats

sail on!

Jimmy ice small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.35 KB
 Viewed:  9269 Time(s)

Jimmy ice small.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: