myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
DENNIS BEACH FEES WEST DENNIS $15 at 4:15pm
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing wrote:
I was going to suggest that the djs789 find a ski mask and handgun. He could borrow a motorcycle and drive to the beach. Then he could take the attendant's money...

Brucie, you don't really mean that, do you? Didn't mom bring you up better than that?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
SNIP . . . a vast horde of lazy adults that rarely even swim. Welcome to America!!!! The land where obesity and indolence has serious protection.

Ya' know, Mr. Not-So-Swift, you hit your dull nail on the head.

Brucie, after sailing in the dangerous fog.gif
 Description:
Check you out:
 Filesize:  14.03 KB
 Viewed:  9070 Time(s)

Brucie, after sailing in the dangerous fog.gif

amarie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that same problem, living in Yarmouth. If I wanted to sail either Kalmus or WD, I would ask the gate attendant if I could briefly pull in to unload some gear, not to park, and not pay. They've always said yes. At WD you honk on the way out to let them know you're leaving. At Kalmus, obviously it's small enough for them to see you leaving. Then I'd park the closest place I could find (whether it be a neighborhood or business) and jog back. Being a runner, a 1/2 mile jog before a session was never a big deal to me. Most of the year, in fact, it's a welcome warm-up! Now I'm just a summer visitor and no longer a year-round resident, but it's worked for me every time, and in 2 weeks during my annual summer visit I'm about to try again Smile

One other option if you're a little more adventurous is to launch from elsewhere, then sail to your destination. For example, in Yarmouth I've done a stealth launch from Seagull or Smugglers--the far end by the jetty--then sailed to WD. The lifeguards have not said anything, and if you rig in the boat ramp areas they treat you as a boat (just watch which way the current's going if you use the actual smuggler's boat ramp rather than the beach). True, you can sail right @ seagull and that doesn't take as long, but sometimes that gets lonesome. Or you can launch from free access points--of which there are a number around Lewis Bay--then sail across the bay either to egg island for freestyle or around the point to Kalmus. Believe me, I have years of experience avoiding these beach fees because I was always a broke student/windsurfer, and it was a necessity. But the extra challenge always added a little to the adventure for me as well, so no complaints.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Summer rates Reply with quote

Sucks all around. Can anyone tell me what the weeklong parking sticker costs for Kalmus? We are heading up soon. RC NY30
Gerda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Kalmus and other Town of Barnstable Parking for 2009 Reply with quote

Visitor’s Weekly Parking Permit Cost: $50 according to Link to pdf file for town of Barnstable parking stickers

http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/Recreation/BeachRules2009.pdf

"All 2009 Parking Permits/Beach stickers are available for purchase seven days a week beginning May 4th 2009 at the National Guard Armory, 225 South Street, Hyannis, MA 02601"

HBR
inlandsea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Windsurfing area at West Dennis is now at Chair 9 (which is now officially called chair 8 to keep the confusion going)
This the area right after the small bathroom building about half way down the beach.
The Plovers have actually been great for windsurfing as it gives killer access at WD. No Hike down at chair 11!

Kiting is At the Jetty and and Yes is sucks for sure having to make the hike, But it is what it is. they cannot have us near bathers and I dont blame them for that.

I have worked hard to keep some access at WD so please pass the word about the Jetty end and staying outside the Yellow bouys.
No kites in the air inside the bouys.

Now all we need is wind and sun!

Philip
RickCronk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gerda, maybe the Rats will bring some wind again this year. NY30
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: