myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Home Valley
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blythefly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Home Valley Reply with quote

Anyone ever sail out of Home Valley? Is it ever any good? I've driven by a few times and seen it look windy sometimes. I can't remember seeing any sails out there.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. It's by no means the Hatchery or Doug's or The Wall, but that's not all bad. It used to get very crowded on land, but seldom on the water because there's lots of space. The swell there is nothing like those other spots, but it's also not as choppy as Celilo or as the Hatchery can get on crowded, gusty days. It's generally a pretty mellow spot even when it's very windy ... a good spot for sailors who feel a bit overwhelmed by windy July weekends at SwellHatch. Some sailors launch there to sail the windier narrows east of Home Valley, or to do downwinders to Stevenson on east winds. We've also seen many days of blazing hot late summer blasts of strong wind there.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been good in awhile. Home Valley is always super hard to predict, always a surprise package.

No sensor, no cam = no crowd.

Summer pattern usually serves up a good, consistent 2-3 hour AM sesh between 9:30 and 12:30, then wind pattern shifts more from the south which splits Home Valley wind with a big ugly hole down the middle... need to sail 1/2 mile east or west of the launch site in this case where the wind pattern comes back together.

Home Valley is best known for the early season east winds (September - October) early in the day 9:30 AM until about noon..... about the time Stevenson powers up.

WMP
jota

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Valley is great for downwinders to Stevenson on East wind days! It's a classic downwinder, probably my favorite.

Choosing the right sail can involve a bit of guesswork as the wind generally picks up as you head downwind. If you're leaving a car at Stevenson, check out the wind there carefully before rigging back at Home Valley.

If you are alone or otherwise don't have an extra car to shuttle, it's pretty easy to hitchhike back to Home Valley if you catch a departing windsurfer leaving Stevenson.
blythefly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the answers.

WMP wrote:
No sensor, no cam = no crowd.
WMP

Interesting thought. I've often wondered about how this increased availability of hi-tech affects our sail time in the gorge, with everyone flocking to the highest reading site of the hour. Probably leaves a lot of potential quality sailing hours (uncrowded + wind + swell) unused.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so, but it sure jams up the best spots. We used to be able to have the premiere spots to ourselves when they blew outside their usual pattern or against the forecast, but alas, no mas, or at least rarely. Real time data is both a blessing and a curse, but one thing it seldom does is leave "uncrowded + wind + swell unused".

Mike \m/
jota

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blythefly wrote:
I've often wondered about how this increased availability of hi-tech affects our sail time in the gorge, with everyone flocking to the highest reading site of the hour. Probably leaves a lot of potential quality sailing hours (uncrowded + wind + swell) unused.

<cough>mosier<cough>
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:
Home Valley is great for downwinders to Stevenson on East wind days! It's a classic downwinder, probably my favorite.

Also great on those filled in west wind days for combo upwinder / downwinder HV to Bob's Beach. Best when Stevenson sensor averages 25+ directly from the west. Couple summers ago I did this stretch at least 10 times.

Last summer I was doing Bingen to Mosier quite often..... I can't think of a more enjoyable, peaceful, scenic cruise.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to judge the sail size from shore there. Rig about a size bigger than it looks in a W wind?? There will probably not be anyone there to ask.

Back in the day you could drive out to the point and hang out. Now you have to wade through the swill pool to get to the river.

If it's not lined up right, the wind can be REALLY bad out in front. When it's good, up by the river mouth is about as good a slalom reach as you'll find anywhere. Then you can go into Scorpion beach for a rest.

Haven't driven through yet this year but for the last several, the outhouses were decommissioned?? Shocked

Last edited by westender on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:

Haven't driven through yet this year but for the last several, the outhouses were decommissioned?? Shocked

Yep, outhouses are boarded up. However, there's full service restrooms with running water near the swimmers beach parking lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: