myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where do you like to sail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since most people in the Bayaria are imports, were they nicer before they moved here? I love it when people come to live here, then proceed to bash the place. My introduction to the Gorge was a middle finger from an overtaking car full of friendly locals....I guess my California license plate gave me away.
Ferry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again everyone,

Wow, I am so excited to hear from you. Thank you very much for your direction. It was so windy today. Did you go out and where did you sail?

Bye now,

Ferry
CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, my favorite place to sail in The Gorge is wherever it's windy, and of course... in my footstraps Wink
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I know Godsey loves the Bay Area, Im just giving him some crap. It's fun to blast the weather man, kind of like being mean to a waiter. Fired up to be in Gorge July 18th, we (SF) are having a crapola season.
Boggsman

Well with two of us (Californians) up in the Gorge in July that will probably completely kill the wind. Sorry for that Surprised

I'll be up there after the 4th of July weekend madness through the end of July. So I'm optomistic about getting some wind Smile

I'll be driving the old car with the beatup wood trailer with 10 boards on it Shocked

Just kidding, but I will probably bring everything I own Cool
jota

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some kites, too, if you want to maximize your gorge experience. (Plus that's where the girls are.)

If you're just sailin', you'll notice a new spaciousness at the windsurfing sites (parking and on the water). At least it has been that way so far; maybe when the summer crowds come in July it will fill in again. I'm guessing the kite enthusiasm has reached the visitors as much as the locals though.
SWE106

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to say, but you made the Bay Area look like a horrible place to be, live, work, and windsurf; all backed by unsustainable facts, rumors, subjective thoughts and outlooks. Or is it maybe a display of a tightly knit small-town mentality???

The Bay Area is renowned for its natural beauty, liberal politics, affluence, diversity, and new age reputation. It is one of the wealthiest regions in the U.S., home to the best climate in the U.S. (e.g. Redwood city), home to several of the best universities in the world: Stanford University, the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of California, San Francisco; resulting in the fact that the Bay Area population is near the top in the nation for overall education level... It is home to several of the most influential scientific, medical and technical breakthroughs, such as the discovery of DNA, start-up of IT, groundbreaking AIDS treatment, host to multiple Nobel prices, etc, etc

Don't get me wrong, I do love to windsurf in the Gorge and do like Hood River, but I am curious to know what HR has accomplished so far besides the same population growth between 1980 and 2008 as the Bay Area (36, 35% respectively according to the USCB)?
jesusjones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferry from San Fran, where have I heard that before? San Fran Rocks, The Gorge rules for windsurfing…..bottom line; live in San Francisco, sail the Gorge and get the hell out before the hillbillies take you to banjo camp. There are so many things each place has to offer, that’s what makes both so unique and attractive in the eye of the beholder. If you’re encountering people who aren’t nice, take a good look in mirror. This SWE106 guy does make some very valid points. I for one love San Francisco and not for anything mentioned by SWE106. I can just sit by the dock at the bay and watch the time roll away; day after day, eat Chinese and see gold in the distance! I have never met a bad person in San Fran, (I won’t count hookers, pimps, or drug dealers) but Hood River is plum full of A Holes, how bout them HR cops, aren’t they special!!!!!!!
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in hands across the border.
As Ernest Tubb said:
"Be better to your neighbors, and you'll have better neighbors."

And, as David Burne said:
Got some good points, and some bad points, somehow it all works out, even though I'm a little freaked out. Find a city, find yourself a city to live in. do doomp doom do doomp"

mamalam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed.

Last edited by mamalam on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must not have gotten the memo in CA, but windsurfing in the Gorge has been cancelled. Bring all your kite gear, your "been there done that" attitude, and a healthy disdain for the remaining couple of dozen "pole boarders" and you'll get along fine. Just remember you are way cooler than any one you meet that hasn't been here as long as you.

Oh, and if you insist on windsurfing welcome to one of, if not the best, high wind shortboard sailing sites in the world. Mike's advice on sites is dead on, but you will probably need/want smaller gear. Not a bad thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: