myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Floras Lake or Hood River
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnrunner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Floras Lake or Hood River Reply with quote

My family and I have planned a vacation to the Oregon Coast in July. We will be staying in Lincoln for a week. On the way out I was thinking about stopping in Hood River for 2-3 days and taking some windsurfing lessons. However I have recently read about Floras Lake on the Oregon Coast. It is suppose to get reliable wind and the rentals and lessons are cheaper than Hood River. Has anyone been to Floras Lake? Would you recommend taking lessons in Hood River or Floras Lake? I know how to water start but can't sail in the straps yet or jibe. My kids might want to take some lessons as well. They are total beginners.
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Hood River! So you spend a little more money, so what. There’s more to do for the family and the wind will probably be better, plus the water will be warmer. Chances are the gear and instruction will be better as well and if you’re going to get the windsurfing bug you must go to the hatchery and see what you will be working towards. The Gorge will be warmer and everything should be a notch or two better than Floras. However Floras has its own appeal, the coast there is awesome and the wind can be just right for learning, but if the weather is cool it can be a bummer if you’re vacationing?
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Floras many times, before it was a park (curse the petitioners) or had drinking water/ showers/ restroom. it is best suited for beginners. Only the south part of the lake and small part of the middle you cannot touch. ideal for learning. although i heard the lake is full of kiters so might not be ideal anymore.
bobgp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For family fun I would pick Flores lake over the Gorge. It is small but the wind is steady and great spot for learning. Small and far away however, but it is the beach.
katosandog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are two completely different experiences. Hood River is a fun town, it's got a real feeling of summer, and the vibe is all about sailing, biking, paddling, etc.

Floras is remote, as somebody else said can be cold, but is on part of the coast that is absolutely stunning. Cape Blanco has superb camping nearby. If it truly has lots of kiters on it, that would be unpleasant - it's quite a small body of water. The first time I saw it, I was shocked how small it was. Somehow I had a different vision in my mind.
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floras Lake would be ideal for learning to jibe and getting into the straps... it's an easy venue. I think the Floras kiters stay away from the windsurfing area. Floras Lake is also great for families if the weather cooperates..... good luck.

Problem with the Gorge... wind super gusty + water really choppy.... u are forced to stay in kiddy pool or go to the advanced zone to get munched & crunched -- not much opportunity in between.
1963sparky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Floras Lake Reply with quote

I liked Floras Lake as a intermediate beginner for advancing skills, like using harness and footstraps and practicing jibes. It gets plenty of steady summer wind. I thought it was less gusty than the gorge. If I recall, Floras was usually colder,but beautiful coastal setting. For the kids that have never windsurfed, they might enjoy a lesson at the Hook in Hood River first to bet them started. That's where I started my nephews, then onto Floras to practice what they learned.
Good luck and enjoy your days on the water.
christopher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? Very Happy
nickhogan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Floras Lake vs Hood River Reply with quote

Floras Lake is WAY better for beginners and stuggling intermediates. The Gorge gets stronger wind, but too much so for beginners. Most afternoons blow 15 or so at Floras Lake, great for beginners & intermediates. The air temperature is cooler than the Gorge (about 70 degrees in the summer), but the water is warmer than the Columbia River and you can touch bottom most of the way across the lake. They have a rental shop right on the beach with 20 - 25 rigs all rigged up and ready to go. You can sail in, switch boards or rigs, and be back on the water in minutes. (You can't do that in the Gorge). You can take a break in the sauna at the rental shop if renting their gear. Rentals come with wetsuites, booties, and all gear. Definitely buy lessons for first timers. In the morning when the wind is not blowing, head North to Charleston to see Shore Acres Gardens, or head South and take a Jet Boat ride up the Rouge river. For fun places to stay, rent a Yurt in Bullards Beach state park north of Bandon, or stay in the KOA campground a couple miles south of Floras lake (has a pool, hot tub, pancake breakfasts, and train rides for the kids). Or, stay in the Bed & Breakfast right at Floras Lake.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hook is learning central in the Gorge - way more folks learn to windsurf there every year than anywhere else in the Northwest. There are 2 or 3 companies doing lessons every day there (BigWinds, Brian's, etc). One of the nice things about The Hook is that different level sailors can all be accommodated.

The inside of The Hook is protected from the full force of the wind and there is no current - very safe environment for beginners. They have the right gear (big boards + small sails) for teaching.

Off the end of The Hook is a shallow area that is windier - great for learning waterstarts.

More advanced sailors, can venture out into the main river channel and sail up to Wells Island. This is a nice place to sail, uncrowded, and pretty much the same wind as The Hatchery.

bobg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: