myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Floras Lake or Hood River
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J_McV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!
I live at Floras Lake and would definitely recommend it for learning and improving your windsurf skills in July.
I just went down and checked the water temp and it is 68 F and will warm up a bit more as the summer goes on.
Don't worry about the kites they shouldn't be an issue.
I'm not affiliated with the school/rental operation but they do a good job and it's a very safe place to learn stuff. Water is flat but if you want chop you can find it at the south end of the lake. Check out Pistol River if you come and you will see some real wavesailing.
http://www.floraslake.com/flw2.html
Jeff
HeyYou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do either and have a great time. Flores Lake is better for beginners, but if you want to plane and your water start is good Hood River is more consistant, although I don't recommend the Hook for your level-actually it's a crap place to sail at any level except expert--where the point is to leave the area and go up wind asap. Food is better and cheaper near Flores (but not right at) if you like seafood etc.
bgdavis101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Both Reply with quote

What you really need to do is look at the forecast for the coast at the time of your arrival to Oregon. The Oregon coast has a way of setting up that can blow for days on end. especially in July. Often not always the when hood river shuts down the coast can be going and vice versa. I live in Southern Oregon and when i used to go to the gorge more i would make sure the coast wasn't going. Often i would get it up north! Flores Lake is a magical place. The camping is a little tight but makes for good camaraderie amongst the windsurfers/kiters. I've made some good friends there over the years. Will Brady has great staff and the place is totally confidence boosting, especially if your not in the foot straps and harness yet. The place needs wind so check the forecast. I you want to call someone who grew up sailing in Oregon feel free. My name is Brian 541-621-5052. I just got back from wave sailing down in pistol and usually have my finger on the pulse as far as coastal wind forecast goes. good luck!
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old pic, late evening Floras lake, Buddy working on the laydown jibes.

floras.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.61 KB
 Viewed:  8502 Time(s)

floras.jpg

andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddy P. Only 20 years ago.

floras2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.2 KB
 Viewed:  8501 Time(s)

floras2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: