myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Missing windsurfer located in Barnstable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom9167

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you made it back, safely, Mark.

Keep us posted on finding your gear.
fanatik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: nice wave sailing Reply with quote

tom9167 wrote:
Glad you made it back, safely, Mark.

Keep us posted on finding your gear.

I decided to put on my drysuit when I saw yours. I was sailing with you at the same time, took the same break, but never saw any thing going on during that session. I had to swim pretty hard once myself. Nice day. There's gotta be some crazy current in there, and it keeps changing with the water depth. Too bad it wasn't later, and you could have walked back. Hope you get the gear back intact.
Mark
braden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last november my board got away from me, and for the first time I couldn't catch it. Maybe something to do with being almost 65. Had to swim a long way, borrow cell phone, call wife to rescue, etc. Board not recovered.

I know windsurfers don't usually wear leashes, but I'm thinking maybe I should. Any reason not to?
scooper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a windsurfing forum but if there are any kiteboarders on here (I know there are) maybe they can fill us in about about the dangers of leashes.

I think that leashes were popular for kiteboarding some years ago, but they caused a lot of problems, tangles, injuries, etc. Not sure, but I have the impression that no one uses them anymore.

I've also heard that leashes may be responsible for some pro surfing deaths, they can get caught on rocks and hold you down, but surfers use them anyway. I guess surfing without a leash creates it own danger so it's a trade off.

bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know windsurfers don't usually wear leashes, but I'm thinking maybe I should. Any reason not to?

There have been a few threads on leashes a few months ago (maybe close to a year).

The main problem with a leash IMO is the tangle factor. There is just a lot of "stuff" that the leash can tangle on in a windsurfing kit (as compared to a surfboard) that would seriously restrict your movement and could become a serious danger, especially in breaking surf.

sm
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Glad you are safe.
Can we call you "Bob"?

Here's a link that didn't turn out so well, but informative:

http://www.boards.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25144&PN=1&TPN=1

I hope your kit shows up....i asked some friends at barnstable marina to keep eye out, but could be anywhere if the tide pulled it out more than the wind pushed it in. I had to buy a new rig 2 years ago after losing it, and keeping me, was just grateful to have a card to swipe

the drysuit issue is one that should get more attention....if you can't swim well in them, that ain't good

you can grab my rear footstrap anytime:)

mwilly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellow sailors,
Thanks for all the positive sentiments, it's appreciated. I just talked to Nils who told me some of you went downwind to look after the word got out, I am blown away Smile you did that...thanks. Even though you couldn't see me, for a while as I got lifted for a better view I could see a sail tip, and kites in the distance. This certainly helped my spirits as I took it to mean I wasn't super far out of the area. Apparently the strong NE for two or so days created a flood tide so the harbor outrush was strong and may have been about 10kts according to the rescue guys. Nils indicated the flood tide can also cause the tide change to occur less quickly as more water has to get out (I wouldn't have thought of that). This must have been why I wasn't making any headway in. I'll certainly be smarter with this knowledge. Someone mentioned reading about mast high waves? No where near that big but undulating, chunky, meaty, head high for sure.

It is good to analyze this a bit and I'm a lot less enamored of suits that bag out with air that could impede swimming efficiency, never really gave this much thought, not sure what the best answer is. Leashes: this is one of the 1st things the rescue crew asked me about; Like others have mentioned I've always felt that its too risky to get tangled in a tumble with the rig, fin, etc, they seemed to understand that logic.

I hope no bad publicity occurs because of this for the local area up there, I've been sailing the Cape for about 10 years now and its definitely got some world class sailing IMHO. I hope to continue to do it for a long time. I/we all know that there are risks with most sports. The innocent bystander must think its nuts in those conditions but we all know its doable and quite worth it. Shouldn't be long till some warm SW....

-Mark
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget leashes. The kiters at W.B. are always chasing around looking for George's board. He's an instructor. I brought up leashes and was quickly silenced. I was wearing a short sleeved wetsuit on Monday with loose shoulders. It's much less tiring to swim with short sleeves. However, there is a windchill drawback. I've warned about the currents in Barnstable harbor on this forum when the subject of Chapin and NE winds come up and have been scoffed at for it. I don't expect the chronic idiots to wise up, but I do hope some people do.
mwilly wrote:
Someone mentioned reading about mast high waves? No where near that big but undulating, chunky, meaty, head high for sure.
Wasn't it fun?
mwilly wrote:

I/we all know that there are risks with most sports. The innocent bystander must think its nuts in those conditions but we all know its doable and quite worth it.

-Mark
Do-able for experts in top notch condition. I'm curious, how many days had you sailed in the two weeks before this experience? Holding on to your boom through gusts really is a question of strength and conditioning. An experienced sailor might unhook when faced with an over-powering gust in order to not be catapulted. However, at least when you get pulled over with the sail, you still are on top of it. Whatever, food for thought. Better luck next time, Mark!!!! At least there were people who thought you were crazy and saved you. Where I sailed Monday, I was all alone all day long except for some crazy woman who was lurking out on Dead Neck wrapped in a polyethylene bag that was tattered and flying in the wind.
chrissim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Glad you're ok/ g-zone wproof phone. Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can't help but think how lucky you are that Nils saw you. I carry a waterproof g-zone phone available through verizon, with me out on Narr. Bay. It's tough, small, and has a handle on it for attaching a key float or leash.

Again, glad your safe. How cool would it be if the rig washed up somewhere. See you out there.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
SNIP Holding on to your boom through gusts really is a question of strength and conditioning. An experienced sailor might unhook when faced with an over-powering gust in order to not be catapulted. However, at least when you get pulled over with the sail, you still are on top of it. Whatever, food for thought. SNIP

Once again, you post something that is totally, totally self-absorbed and completely WRONG. An experienced sailor knows that unhooking in a gust will reduce the amount of leverage against the sail. An experienced sailor knows that unhooking decreases the sheeting angle and, therefore, causes the nose of the board to rise up. An experienced sailor knows that one does not simply land on top of the sail when truly blowing up in a gust but understands that the rig gets ripped away or power-slams into the water.

Mr. Swift, take Cosmicharlie, Sinbad and all your other aliases and go back to whatever it is you do so well, whether shooting bad pictures of yourself, sanding your fin, playing with your mouse, yelling at your mother, driving a Buick on local roads (but not the highway -Egad!) . . . just stop posing to be a windsurfer with something meaningful to add.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: