myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
anyone else considering suicide from lack of wind?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it doesn't blow, it sucks, that's for sure.
Anyone know if the thermals at Lakes Bay have been any consolation to these beak weeks?
Rolling Eyes
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
sailingjoe wrote:
The muscles you use windsurfing are unique to the sport.

Dirt biking/snowmobiling is almost identical to WSing.

Mike \m/
That's pretty funny, Mike. I've been bicycling lately. It's actually been terrific weather here on Cape Cod for that this past week. Today looks perfect for it. Unfortunately, though, my damaged knee acted up this morning. It looks like it's time to start swimming again. The water has warmed up substantially. Thursday I was comfortable wearing a 2/2 shortie while doing my old fart freestyle.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
isobars wrote:
sailingjoe wrote:
The muscles you use windsurfing are unique to the sport.

Dirt biking/snowmobiling is almost identical to WSing.

Mike \m/
That's pretty funny, Mike.

I don't get the joke. Both sports (I'm lumping sleds and bikes together as one sport, because, done right, they're virtually identical) involve:
• Standing in a semi-crouch while blasting across rough terrain, working the living hell out of our quads, hams, and glutes in aerobic, anaerobic, strength, and power modes for many hours on end.
• Very heavy aerobic and anaerobic strength and power use of just about every muscle, tendon, and ligament from our fingertips, up our arms, through our shoulders, down our backs to our waist in pulling motions, plus working the hell out of our abs. Granted, the mechanized sports work our triceps and pecs harder ... except when we crash into our booms.
• Dramatic aerobic, anaerobic, strength, and power stress on our core muscles, which connect our bottom half to our top half and keep our heavily stressed spine where it needs to be.

I can't think of any other two apparently different sports that are so physiologically similar. Heck, both even provide a seat, should the rider ever want to rest his butt in/on it for a few minutes on a flat stretch.

Mike \m/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

• Standing in a semi-crouch while blasting across rough terrain, working the living hell out of our quads, hams, and glutes in aerobic, anaerobic, strength, and power modes for many hours on end.

Mike \m/
Maybe the way you use it, riding this motorized equipment gives one a work-out. However, once motorized most people aren't energetically looking for a work-out, nor do they have one. In fact, they are more likely looking for an easy way. I also take issue with this idea that you can't have fun unless you are blasting away on some power assisted vehicle. The best feeling one can have in sport IMHO would be blasting under your own power. Americans are the way we are because we have at our command too much technology that prevents us from enjoying this rather simple but very healthy feeling. Sports like cycling and cross-country skiing far surpass yours when it comes to enjoying the effects of doing it yourself. Not only that, you can reduce consumption of fossil fuels if you do one and not the motorized alternative. Sure you don't achieve that moronic thrill so many myopic males seek in motorized speed. However, you will probably live longer to enjoy more. As to the muscles one uses windsurfing, I really don't think you offered a good comparison when it comes to the way most people ride. You might as well try to tell us that these idiots on their jetskis terrorizing the harbors and bays should be admired and respected. Motorized equipment is abused too much to really give one much claim that it's good exercise equipment.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you have it:

Fitness advice from a master........

WaterKook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like MX keeps you in good shape. Laughing

MX_rules.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.39 KB
 Viewed:  12918 Time(s)

MX_rules.jpg

WaterKook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though windsurfing can as well.

BS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.35 KB
 Viewed:  12916 Time(s)

BS.jpg

pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
There you have it:

Fitness advice from a master........

. . . . . . . . . . . bater?

Oh, sorry, I meant "baiter," as in baiting a hook.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evans wrote:
Though windsurfing can as well.

Can't you see that's just the spare tire for his many road and mountain biking workouts?

Safety first.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
Americans are the way we are because we have at our command too much technology that prevents us from enjoying this rather simple but very healthy feeling.

Say, Brucie, speaking of too much, I see that the good folks at boards.co.uk nailed your latest alias. "Jackflash" is history. Three days and already you annoyed them so much that the site admin hit the button. Gone in a flash, Jack. Evidently, that gives them a "rather simple but very healthy feeling."

But ya gotta keep their spirits up. Create a new alias and return. Don't let them keep you down! Let's see how long the new alias lasts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: