myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Act politely at Treasure Island
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Act politely at Treasure Island Reply with quote

I got this message from the City of San Francisco staff who have allowed us to use the Treasure Island site:
Quote:
Today, one of your windsurfers in a a silver Subaru Impreza, license plate
5KDP177 jumped the curb on Northpoint, in the residential area, and drove
to the back launch area. At the time that he jumped the curb there were
children playing in the area in the open space near the launch pad. A
property manger witnessed all of this, approached the person, and told him
to move his car back on to the street, and to be more mindful of our
residents. The windsurfer was rude and disrespectful to the property
manager and begrudgingly moved his car back to Northpoint.

This type of behavior cannot happen, especially during the summer when
Island children are out and about playing. I would suggest that you find
this person and explain the rules to him before he ruins it for everyone
else.

May I remind you all that we have no absolute right to use the land on Treasure Island. It still belongs to the Navy, and if the City of San Francisco and the Navy want, they can send security officials to kick us out. If you know this person, please talk to them and ask them not to ruin it for everyone else!
tstizzle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell is so important that you'd have to drive your car through someone's yard?

knucklehead.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a kiter.

Just kidding.

Sorta.

tombrady3841

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we better be good, were going to need more parking spots soon!
anyone go there today? It started blowing early. I went to Crissy,
it was gloomy and cold, I didn't suit up.
It was windy in the middle when I left.
T
ccoate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwbjcuQUv8&NR=1
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess that I was the one in question. I hadn't sailed there since last year, and at that time an employee at the clean-up site told me the only WS access was from Bayside. So the launch from the drain is what I used last year, at at that time the launch from behind the breakwater was out of bounds, though I saw WSing cars driving on the grass near there several times.

Today I went to Bayside and several fishermen were there with numerous lines in the water, so clearly a launch there was no possible. I didn't know about the Northside access, and when I drove along that street there were no WSing vehicles present to mark the spot. So in what I admit was a bad idea, I drove on the grass to see if there was any access. I saw no children and assumed it was OK as this was the same location I had seen cars last year.

Not sure why the manager thought I was rude and disrespectful - I just said I was there to see if any access existed in that area, since last year's spot was denied to me. I quickly left and drove around to Northside, since he told me that that was the new access point.

Sorry if I created a problem. For infrequent visitors to T.I., it's hard to know what the current rules are. For instance, I didn't know until I saw it that the Navy had moved their fence eastward, making the breakwater site possible.

BTW, the sailing was great today.

Rod
surftex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rod,

Thanks for chiming in on this thread. I agree that it is obscure what the recommended course of action is for launching at TI.

Here are some links to discussion that popped up several months ago on the forums that give pointers on the current situation. Ideally, this information would be canonized on thewindmap.com or some similar resource. If not useful for you, hopefully its useful for other would-be TI'ers who aren't up to date on the access situation.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17473
http://www.sunsetsailboards.com/blog/81-treasure-island-access

As of June 24, 2009, it's all correct.

Cheers

p.s. TI was the shizzle today
buestad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
I'd like to report that I have sailed at T.I. several times in the last two months and have been impressed how all the WS have obeyed the obsure rules of the area and how the WS have treated the tenants. I was proud of all concerned. Rod made a mistake, I don't know Rod, however I do commend him for fessing up. We should all be mindfull of the situation we are in with the Navy. My concern is that with this Blog and knowing how good the sailing is at T.I. that we are going to have parking problems in the future with others not knowing to park only in the vacant units parikng spaces. Do you have any updates as to when the Navy might let us use the big parking lot again?
john
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rg--thanks for the response. I sent it on to the City. As always, there are two sides to every interaction. SFBA is just trying to keep the lines of communication open, and we tried to lay out the groundrules in an earlier post and on our site. Enjoy what may be one of the ten best windsurfing sites in the world!
koogzah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buestad wrote:
My concern is that with this Blog and knowing how good the sailing is at T.I. that we are going to have parking problems in the future...

I think we're already there. I couldn't find a spot in front of a vacant unit when I drove through Northpoint around 5 last night so defaulted to Bayside. Weekend afternoons are going to be interesting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: