myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to windsurf near Davis/Sacramento during Winter?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Where to windsurf near Davis/Sacramento during Winter? Reply with quote

Hey--- Where do the Davis/Sacramento windsurfers sail from late September through early June?

Obviously Sherman Island is the late spring/summer spot when the bay is fogged in, but I have heard of a few lakes/ponds to sail at during storm winds...... where are those located?

How about Folsom Lake?
wellfedirishman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Relevant recent info Reply with quote

Here's a recent relevant thread that might be helpful.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17585

I went to check out the CSUS Aquatic Center at Lake Natomas last weekend, and it looked like light wind sailing only. Fine for longboards or light-wind freestylers.

I have been out to Rancho Seco once during summer (didn't sail though) and it looked pretty decent.

Edit to add: Folsom Lake is full of power boats and jetskis. Probably not a good idea to windsurf around powerboats.
sailandbail

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Folsom...I like Reply with quote

A 5.0 day at Folsom is rare but when it does happen, it is pure windsurfing pleasure Wink It is one of my favorite places to sail. The couple years I lived in Davis, I sailed about 15 days there. On north winds Dike 8 is a great launch with sweet 2 - 3 ft swell. On south storm winds launch from Granite Bay. Great water quality, even in winter.

Regarding the Delta, I sailed the County Park all year long, I was often the only one on the water. If your schedule is flexible (e.g. univ. student schedule) you can score. I sailed weekly on average.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last couple of years Folsom has been only been spring sailing because the lake was so low in the fall. This year Folsom may be better for winter sailing. Seco is great for NW clearing winds and rare SW storm winds. Storm winds in Sac are usually SE which puts you on the rough side of Seco for rigging and launching. Lake Washington in West Sacramento is great for SW & especially SE storm winds. Offshore on NW winds so you have to be pretty good to get back. You can sail Sherman in the winter but winds are not always a favorable direction, storm winds can shut down quickly-tides- and floating logs from rain run off leave most people sailing at other spots. But usually by mid to late March you can start scoring at Sherman, April for sure.

Coachg
wellfedirishman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Lake Washington Questions Reply with quote

CoachG,

What are the parking/launch facilities like at Lake Washington?

How crowded does it get in Summer?

I was thinking of heading over there tomorrow with either:
Formula board and 9.4 or 10.5 or a Longboard and a 7.3. Any thoughts on what is the best combo for Washington?

Finally, is the LWSC sailing club actually located at Lake Washington? Here are the directions. I couldn't find any 'Lake Washington' on Google maps.
http://www.lwsailing.org/info/#directions

Also, where is Sand Bar? You mentioned that in a previous post. What are conditions like there.

Thanks!

Last edited by wellfedirishman on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys! Looking forward to checking out some of these spots. Lake Washington sounds cool, especially since it is only 20 minutes from Davis!

Do you have more information about the conditions there during storms? Is it good for flat water (planing) freestyle on sails from 4.0 to 5.8?
afolander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys from SAC drive down to the Delta or Rancho Seco park (closed Nuke plant) to sail on N wind or for winter storm clearing winds.

Sherman Island had good SW wind and swells on Christmas day last winter.
mnisam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive to Sac Airport, go straight to Maui, get off plane, go to Kanaha or Kihea Rolling Eyes
jayden123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: sacramento sailling Reply with quote

Very Happy lake washington is good. i was lucky enough to sail there the day before fathers day. It's a private lake, club members only. I just hung out in the parking lot until another club member decided to wash his yacht and invited me in to launch off the far dock. A really nice chat. He knew that i was there for one reason only. He saw the thirst to get out there. he said" come in back your truck up next to mine and hurry up and get out there!" He says there is one other windsurfer who sails here too. So, that must be Coach -"G"

predictions were 20 by afternoon and sure enough she dished it out. started on a 8.0 and had to go down to the 6.0. 120 liter at 165 lbs. deep little lake. nice and flat with eaisy jybe spots." wind were you need to turn" just dont sail to close to The shipping dock. the wind will suddenly turn off and your stuck. it was pretty good. you be surprised on how far you can sail for such a small lake. not that many holes either.

next, theres rancho, great on north wind storms. winterfall 5.0 - 6.0 days. eaisy to beach start. will pretty too. the pic is rancho.

wellfedirishman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Lake Washington is not open to public then? Reply with quote

Thanks Jayden for the info, that is great. Wind in the 20s is ideal.

Sounds Like Lake Washington is not open to the public. I guess I will head out to Rancho Seco instead and give it a try.

If anyone knows of a public launch to Lake Washington please let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: