myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Guide to riding swell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmayer_h2o

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my tip for riding switch and avoiding injuries - keep your footstraps really BIG.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, thanks. That's also a well-known invitation to ankle and knee injuries even without riding switched.

I've got to guess that some of you have never had major ankle sprains. They can take years to heal properly or may never heal completely. A broken leg is a walk in the park by comparison.

Mike \m/
jimoakes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmayer_h2o wrote:
Here's my tip for riding switch and avoiding injuries - keep your footstraps really BIG.

I agree big straps are safer and best for strapped turns in the Gorge.

Look at your feet. You bend at the toes and ankle. The old wisdom was " keep your straps just big enough for your toes to poke out for safety". This holds the long bones of the foot (the metatarsals) down. With a little leverage those long bones break fairly easy. This may be safer for wave sailing if you fall and get tumbled. In that case you may want the board to come off your feet fast to prevent an ankle injury. You do have more risk of a metatarsal snapping while sailing.

I broke a metatarsal bone in 1989 at Dougs. I had my straps tight like most Gorge sailors at the time. When the bone healed I opened my straps a bit to avoid the pain of the strap tight on the old injury. It eventually felt safer and I could keep the board from flying of my feet while jumping. Now I like my straps as big as I can get them, right up to my ankles.

Strap size is like everything in windsurfing, we all like what works best for us. Just my 2 cents,and my broken foot experience.

Thanks for the compliment in your earlier post, isobars.
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as with everything in Windsurfing, there needs to be balance. When it comes to footstraps... too tight is bad, too loose is also bad. Need to find that place that is safe and relaxed for happy feet. I find that my feet come out during jumps if straps are too loose. Also, I like to keep my feet in the straps during crashes so the board doesn't get blown downwind or catch a swell without me. I've not had any serious injuries to my ankles, so this has worked very well for me.

- WMP
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
I like to keep my feet in the straps during crashes

That has led to some entertaining (to observers) crashes for me, when I've gone over the handlebars and deliberately took my board by brute force with me to preserve ankle integrity. It looks strange enough with a 240 cm board; it looks flat weird taking a 12-foot Equipe over with me. My foot has hurt 24/7 for two weeks now from some tumble I don't even remember.

OTOH, ask Bart what a board can do when one foot is stuck in the straps as the board swaps ends in a fast beam reach. He said he was lucky not to be permanently hobbled when that foot rotated 180 degrees at the ankle.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I've got black electrical tape wrapped around my straps... not only does it extend the life of my straps, also makes it easy for my feet to slip out in the event of a major, catastrophic crash.

- WMP
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimoak wrote:
The old wisdom was " keep your straps just big enough for your toes to poke out for safety". ... This may be safer for wave sailing if you fall and get tumbled. In that case you may want the board to come off your feet fast to prevent an ankle injury.

Many of us get tumbled in the Gorge daily, although from ineptitude, speed, and gusts, not wave action.

Mike \m/
wooot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Mike , It's your "one of a kind" stopping method that garners the most chuckles... maybe this is what you are refering to?? I seriously doubt anyone really watches you (or I) sail in the middle of the river that much.

Now the REAL question is..... do you take your front, or back foot out first after the warp speed, inertia robbing , momentum stopping, self inflicted , side slamming, sinus filling (being polite), spray everybody in the cove , Insto-Halto-Fickius manouver??
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooot wrote:
sinus filling (being polite)

Thank goodness for neoprene! If it weren't for that, that move would clear my sinuses the hard way.

Pretty much both feet at the same time, after I stop.

Are ya watching the data? This evening's forecast looks just like the first evening of the last marine push, which was marvelous from supper 'til dark. Not sure it's worth fighting 100-degree temps for an hour or three of sailing, though ...

Mike \m/
trudyl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airtime wrote:
Trudy..nice shots. Are Tom and Russ on OES boards?

Yes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: