myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Car Camping on Sherman Island / Rio
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chibichibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Car Camping on Sherman Island / Rio Reply with quote

Does anyone know the roadside/car camping policies at Rio sailing sites? I've often seen tents set up next to cars at The Access and Powerlines, is this legit? And I think if you're a member of RVWA you can pay to car camp in the grass at The Sign. What about the County Park? Thanks.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Camping on Sherman Island / Rio Reply with quote

chibichibi wrote:
Does anyone know the roadside/car camping policies at Rio sailing sites? I've often seen tents set up next to cars at The Access and Powerlines, is this legit? And I think if you're a member of RVWA you can pay to car camp in the grass at The Sign. What about the County Park? Thanks.

If you are speaking of the access as the area down below the road just before the County Park gate, there is no camping here, and anybody (windsurfers) who camps here puts our access in jeapordy. However I understand that ABK got permission to camp there for a few days so it seems exceptions can be made in advance.

The county park (Access) is a day use facility, so of course camping would be illegal (doesn't mean it isn't done).
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just join the RVWA for $20 and you can camp overnight at Powerlines. I've been doing this for many years. Also, I've met many very interesting folks there over time, and the vibe is always great.
tsokat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John is right about the access-no camping there. You can spend the night in your vehicle within the county park gates for a fee if there is room. Just talk to the park host.

Last edited by tsokat on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
hahn2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: county park lock down Reply with quote

I sailed at the county park past sunset last night, it was great (4.2 slightly OPed). By the time I packed up it was 9PM. I arrived at the park gate just as it was being locked for the night. It's opened again at 6AM. If I had been 30 seconds later, I would not have been able to leave! I had no idea they locked that place down at night! Now I know! FYI

On another note, there was a medium da kine waist harness along with a towel and some food by the rocks which was soon to be washed away by the rising tide. I put the harness and towel under one of the concrete benches by the carpet rigging area.

-Jon
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "official" policy of camping at the Acess, which is a Sacramento County park is no tents, however you will find them hidden in the trees,

away from the road. The recent Slingshot demo in June had tents all over the place. The area of parking at the platpen is day use only, so no overnight parking of any kind.

The Acess does allow motor homes, campers or sleep in your vehicle, for 7.50 per day plus the park entrance fee, either daily of yearly pass. For a stay of 13days then you must leave for a day, ok to return and start again. no electric, no hook ups, nice restrooms are the only ammenitys.
Great atmosphere, lots of kiters as well.

The RVWA, allows camping of any type at Powerlines or the Sign, they state that the area just before the Access (BAHA) is "day use " , so no camping, on a recent stay, I saw tents and campers, be nice if they made a sign to state so at least their is some consistancy. A longer stay at Powerlines or the sign , don't know how long, week or longer ? they request a further fee in addition to the club membership, 20 bucks per year. the sign is full in season, and be hard to find a place to even pitch a tent.

People do "camp" along side the road in motor homes or campers on the water side, all rocks.

Have never seen Powerlines full, not any wind shelter except a hugh pile of rocks. Like my pal says good people and cold brewskis........
you can still sail anywhere from there if you are mobile.

There is also a pay park Rio Viento which is very pricy and restrictive, next to the Sign.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: camping in my truck Reply with quote

I have a full size GMC truck. If I wanted a bed above my gear as you see sometimes, what would I put across the bottom of the shell to put a foam rubber mattress on top of? Then the boards go on the bed and place them under the truck at night etc. Poster Board? Other material that won't warp over time? Thanks.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flake board , with some 2X4 supports, if I understand the question

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd,

While I've got a full sized Chevy van, I've seen many pickups that are setup to address the general design that you're suggesting. Basically, the platform is installed above the wheel weldments. Given the span side to side, you will need to integrate a support structure below that results in front to back compartmental areas where you can store your gear.

However, when it comes to the platform material, I find the 3/4" birch or oak plywood is best for the job, given it's structural integrity and near furniture quality. All the the built-in wooden structures in my van are done that way, and there is no flex whatsoever anywhere. Of course, your support structure underneath must be well engineered and designed to suit the anticipated weight requirements. I had stainless steel brackets (with welded 45 degree supports) made to support my platform (along the passenger side from the siding side door back to the rear door) that anchors the sides and the top.

One thing that's smart to do is design the top to incorporate hinged doors to allow top access close to the cab of the truck. Stainless steel piano-type hinges are perfect for the job. and they can be located on either side of the bed so that they don't interfere with your sleeping surface.
chibichibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all - thanks for all the local details on rio. look forward to seeing you all in a van down by the river. actually, my ride is a green volvo station wagon. peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: