myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Keeping Gear On/In Car in NYC (Crazy?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping Gear On/In Car in NYC (Crazy?) Reply with quote

pthorner wrote:

Do many NYC sailors have roof top boxes and do people break into them just to see what they might find or do they pretty much leave them alone? I figure a slightly longer box could take the masts as well.
Peter

In Manhattan proper I've gotten away with gear overnight on a roof rack, but I wouldn't make a practice of it.

If there's a commercial garage in the area your windsurfing habit could be excellent justification to keep your car garaged. Otherwise unfortunately there are enough people in the New York area so that the "one in a million" knucklehead is certain to walk by your car one day.

moanaman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Keeping Gear On/In Car in NYC (Crazy?) Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I sent you a message regarding your Long Island Windsurfer membership. Please check your mailbox for a message from me, "elysurf".

Thanks,

Ely
pthorner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice. I just hate to be constrained by such knuckleheads but don't want to make it easy for them either. I really think I might have to stick a LoJack inside an old board and see if the cops that run the decoy cars would be interested in tracking it once it was swiped.

I did throw the box back on the car and maybe I will at least keep the carbon masts and booms out of their until I see how it goes. I'm still curious to know if anyone has lost a box or had it pried open. When I used bolt cutters to get the box off the rack for cross country shipping, it was a real pain to get to the bolts on the inboard side of the box (the wing nuts inside the box were hopelessly rusted and fused). I figure that if you used a short piece of pipe as a sleeve around the exposed part of the 1/4 bolt under the box, you would expand the diameter of the area to be cut so that they would at least need a 4' set of bolt cutters. Of course the security precaution might make them even more interested in the box and get them to take the whole rack or break the cargo rails off.

I'm still trying to figure out what my East Coast handle will be. I was going to go with the Manhattan Muffin in homage to Peconic Puffin, but now that we are in Brooklyn, it's just not workable. So for now,

Peter
pete1111

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping Gear On/In Car in NYC (Crazy?) Reply with quote

You can use these straps from Steelcore, got them for my SUP.
But I live out on the Island

http://www.steelcore.net/howtough.html

Pete
feuser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
A NYC resident once told me that car insurance for glass breakage would cost more each year than the Blue Book value of his car. That should give you some idea of what you've stepped into.

Mike \m/

???

I have full glass insurance for under $100 a year - in Manhattan. Okay, my car's not exactly new, but I am pretty sure it's valued at more than a hundred. I have had two windows broken in the last eight years.

To the OP:

It's usually fine to leave your gear in the car on a busy street. I have done it many times. Once I have had a window broken and the bag containing my drysuit stolen from it. My two boards, carbon masts booms and six sails were all still there.

Used WS gear has zero value on the street - it has little value to begin with and is pretty hard to sell, judging by my experience with the iWS classifieds.

OTOH if you do leave kit in the car ALL the time it will get ripped off eventually by someone dumb enough to steal it or someone who has a buyer lined up.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York, New York big city of dreams......
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude:
NYC ?.....Face it, you have a tough time in Hyannis.....Not sure what they gave you to get you to Fenway!

Fun the other morning at the Breakfast Club...Smile

Now it's just a long pull until the fall...........

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
My windsurfing and 4-wheeling gear sat in and on a topless Chevy Blazer 24/7 at home and work and various lakes for years, untouched. Cities, schmities!

Mike \m/

This thread is not about you. If you have nothing of value to add, perhaps a bit of restraint might be in order? You post only operates as sarcasm or otherwise humbing your nose at a fellow windsurfer's circumstance. Nice.

BTW, Mike, I had my entire quiver (3 racing sails, 4 wave sails -all color matched and brand new) stolen from on top of my car in Hood River in in the midst of racing in the 1991 Gorge Pro-Am. Even in small towns near you, theft of gear can be a problem.

For the OP, my experience matches Florian's, although I did not stick around long enough to experience a car break-in. Daylight on a busy street -windsurfing gear that is reasonably secured offers more of a challenge to steal than seems to be worth the risk. One can't easily navigate down a jammed sidewalk carrying all that gear anyway. FWIW, I parked around 35th and 5th, as well as on West Side Drive around 88th for several hours each and my gear was fine.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
isobars wrote:
My windsurfing and 4-wheeling gear sat in and on a topless Chevy Blazer 24/7 at home and work and various lakes for years, untouched. Cities, schmities!

Mike \m/

This thread is not about you.

I had my entire quiver (3 racing sails, 4 wave sails -all color matched and brand new) stolen from on top of my car in Hood River

Your post differs from mine ... HOW?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very different. My post was in direct reply to your off-point post regarding the apparent lack of theft you've experienced -as if your experience in any way shed light on the dilemma facing urban windsurfers and those in NYC in particular.

I then added the side comment to you that directly contradicted your experience in the general place that you live and sail, only to drive home that not only was your post irrelevant to the OP but certainly is not the gospel of gear theft.

I concluded with a short paragraph regarding my personal experiences with keeping gear on my car at different Manhattan locations which is exactly the subject of the OP's query.

Again, your post was about your experience on the other side of a continent in a community that couldn't be more different than Manhattan. My post included my experience in Manhattan. Got it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: