myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Our dear friend Paul Mann is missing! Please help!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martyrosse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Series of pics of the gathering this evening for Paul at Crissy Field:

http://cams.exploratorium.edu:8010/siteproxy.archive?doc=1&month=6&year=2009&day=6&camera=-1&alarm=0&schedule=0&preset=-1&user=-1&periodic=0&custom=0&starthour=19&endhour=20&max=150&framerate=2&kind=2&getanim=Retrieve
soheilzahedi5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, earlier this morning (Tuesday July 7), the Sheriff's dept. recovered Paul's body from the Columbia river. He was found near the Event Site.

Thanks to everyone who tirelessly helped with this search. Whether it was by plane or boat or kayak or windsurfer or jet-ski or forming a circle of friends or raising your sails or sending your thoughts and prayers, you helped find our friend Paul. Thank you!

As of yet, no arrangements have been made.

Rest in peace dear friend.
jota

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry . . .

I had heard all about the missing SUP'er, but it was only when I saw the name and photos today that I realized I had met him last week at the Northwave launch two days in a row.

I am a Hood River local, and this SF guy was open and friendly, quick to introduce himself, and we chatted before and after sailing and again the next day when I saw him there again. When he forgot my name he asked again and then acted sheepish because my first name is his middle name.

The next day was scheduled to turn around to easterlies so he was milking the last of the westerlies that afternoon. The last thing he said to me was that he planned to go to Stevenson for the easterlies the next day - "All of Hood River will be there" he said with a big grin.

He was indeed a memorable, gregarious guy with a big smile and a ready story. I learned more about him in those brief moments than I know about other sailors whom I have parked next to at the hatch for years. Guys like that leave a mark on this world.

My condolences to his friends and family. Rest in peace Paul.
KatieTitus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Smile though your heart is breaking..... Reply with quote

My name is Katie. My boyfriend George and I are friends of Paul. Notice that I say we are friends and not that we "were" friends. Paul will always be our friend and he will live in our hearts..and all of yours. Thank you all for your messages, kind words and shared memories. Some of you may be reading this and saying: "Who the hell are Katie and George? Do they surf at Chrissy?" The answer is no we are not windsurfers...but Paul loved us anyway! I think I lived the sport through Paul. I could feel the wind in his words, hear and feel the frothy, churning waves in his laughter and even taste a bit of the salty air and water in the wine that he poured for me to drink as the three of us sat in his apartment on Bush Street listening to his story of his day at Chrissy and trying to decide where to go for dinner. I remember one day last summer, as we awaited Paul's arrival at George's home in the wine country. Paul loved it up there...not as much as windsurfing but he loved it. When Paul finally arrived, he parked his truck, unloaded his gear in a larged tub and walked up to the house smiling that broad, infectious grin and asked if he could wash out his gear. He said he couldn't resist a little time on the water and had to stop along the way. Then he hung it all to dry on the deck railing. Later that evening as Paul and I sat on the deck chatting and having a glass of wine he motioned with his hand to draw my attention to all of his gear hanging to dry and said: "See that? I love seeing that! That means a good time was had by all!" And we lauged. I laughed so much with Paul I suppose that's part of the reason I'm crying so much now. I wake up each morning hoping it's just a bad dream. As I said, I am not a windsurfer...but I guess I just need all of you right now. To lean on, to cry to, to feel closer to Paul, to make me feel that he is still with us somewhere out on the water. It is my wish that you all take extra care of each other, look out for each other, stay together on the water. Please do it for Paul. My love, my heart, my support goes out to Paul, to Michelle, to Paul's family and now to all of you. And, please maybe help me a little bit too. I need you Guys...even though I'm not a windsurfer.
reggief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katie,
I know you and George and would like to include you in the planning of the world's most amazing memorial for the world's funniest, sweetest, angriest guy. My email address is reggief@pacbell.net. Feel free to contact me.
melmunson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know Paul, but I still feel a great sense of loss as so well expressed by his family and friends. Rest in peace, Paul.

Please forgive me if this is a bad time to ask, although it may never be a good time, but has it been determined what actually happened? I've searched through local (HR, Portland) media but there's been no mention.

There may be something to be learned here, to help others avoid such a tragedy, which is why I ask.
soheilzahedi5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the date:

A memorial service for Paul is going to be held on Sunday July 19 in San Francisco. A celebration/BBQ will be held at Crissy Field following the service. The exact time for these events, and the venue for the memorial have not yet been nailed down. Please stay tuned for more details...
soheilzahedi5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The memorial service and Crissy BBQ for Paul will be this Sunday July 19 in San Francisco.

Please RSVP via the following Evite:

http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/RXAQQBYHEBQVMKFECJAV/pjm071909

As before the Blog for Paul is here for more information:

http://paulmann.typepad.com
ekramers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: I will miss you Paul Reply with quote

Just found out today about Paul and I cannot believe it. I am here in France and I wish I could be around my windsurfing buddies to remember my friend Paul. I will drive to the coast and try to windsurf in his memory on Sunday. It is going to be hard to be at Crissy without him and not hear his voice call me "teach" as he used to. Whoever is reading this please give my deepest sympathy to his family and girlfriend. Diana and I will miss him a lot...

Eric Kramers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: